How do I dial in 83mm grinder without wasting a ton of coffee?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
linuxAndJavaScript

Postby linuxAndJavaScript » Mar 17, 2019, 7:14 pm

I have a new Ceado e37s.

For a 27 second shot pour with 18 grams of coffee:

1) I find that if i single dose it, I have to put the grind setting to super fine at the number 1 on the dial. I do not like this setting because my espresso tastes flat with no brightness.

2) If I keep about 60 grams of beans in the hopper, then the grind setting can be placed at a less fine grind setting at number 4 on the dial. I prefer this because my shot will taste more bright.

I prefer #2 because I like to keep my shot flavor at that.

The problem is, how do I dial around the #4 area without wasting a ton of coffee? With my compak k3 old grinder, I could dial in with single dosing and then place the beans in the hopper and keep pretty close to the same setting. With the Caedo, just a quick second will grind a lot of coffee and a second isn't even long enough to move the dial.

Would it be horrible if I moved the dial adjustment without the burrs running?

andreugv1

Postby andreugv1 » Mar 17, 2019, 7:58 pm

As a former E37S owner, I always did it by feeling. I will grind a couple grams, feel the grounds with my fingers, and get it close to a dialed in ground like that. It is difficult to explain but if you try, you will see it is really easy. As a starting point, start with something you have already dialed in, see how it feels between your fingers. If you tend to drink extremely different roast levels gets more difficult to do this.

When I sold the E37S I literally brought it to the buyers home, used 3 grams of coffee and poured an amazing shot right away.

As for adjusting setting not running, you will jam the grinder. You can do a tiny bit adjustment and should be fine, but more than that and it will not run afterwards.

Hope it helps!

linuxAndJavaScript

Postby linuxAndJavaScript » Mar 17, 2019, 8:53 pm

andreugv1 wrote:I will grind a couple grams, feel the grounds with my fingers, and get it close to a dialed in ground like that.


Would you dial it in according to what it would be with beans in the hopper or single dosing? Since there seems to be such a large difference.

CarloM

Postby CarloM » replying to linuxAndJavaScript » Mar 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

I would dial it in for how you would be using it. If you're single dosing every day then do it w hopper only having that dose. Then rinse and repeat. Yes you will waste coffee. No way around it. But if you consistently use the same bean/blend and the roaster is consistent, it should be in the ballpark from there on out. I only have to make minute adjustments on mine now when I get a fresh batch of beans.

linuxAndJavaScript

Postby linuxAndJavaScript » Mar 18, 2019, 7:44 pm

CarloM wrote:I would dial it in for how you would be using it. ... . I only have to make minute adjustments on mine now when I get a fresh batch of beans.


I find if I single dose it the grind is way to fine to the point where the espresso doesn't takes good at 27 sec shots/18 grams.

Do you do single dose or beans in the hopper? If beans in the hopper, how much beans do you have to keep in at min so the grind is not effected...meaning how low do you let it get till you refill?

CarloM

Postby CarloM » replying to linuxAndJavaScript » Mar 18, 2019, 11:50 pm

Beans in hopper. I generally don't let it go too far under where the little hopper shutter sits.

andreugv1

Postby andreugv1 » Mar 19, 2019, 8:06 am

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:I find if I single dose it the grind is way to fine to the point where the espresso doesn't takes good at 27 sec shots/18 grams.

Do you do single dose or beans in the hopper? If beans in the hopper, how much beans do you have to keep in at min so the grind is not effected...meaning how low do you let it get till you refill?


Just do beans in hopper as this is what you would normally do. Anyway 27 seconds for 18 grams seems to be quite short. How many grams out do you get?

The E37S is an amazing grinder (probably one of the best commercial grinders for the home, if not the best). I am sure you will love it as soon as you get used to it.

Exb2019

Postby Exb2019 » Mar 19, 2019, 11:32 pm

linuxAndJavaScript wrote:I have a new Ceado e37s.

For a 27 second shot pour with 18 grams of coffee:

1) I find that if i single dose it, I have to put the grind setting to super fine at the number 1 on the dial. I do not like this setting because my espresso tastes flat with no brightness.

2) If I keep about 60 grams of beans in the hopper, then the grind setting can be placed at a less fine grind setting at number 4 on the dial. I prefer this because my shot will taste more bright.

I prefer #2 because I like to keep my shot flavor at that.

The problem is, how do I dial around the #4 area without wasting a ton of coffee? With my compak k3 old grinder, I could dial in with single dosing and then place the beans in the hopper and keep pretty close to the same setting. With the Caedo, just a quick second will grind a lot of coffee and a second isn't even long enough to move the dial.

Would it be horrible if I moved the dial adjustment without the burrs running?


I adjust my dial when it is off. Currently, I am coming close to the blanket rule brew ratio of 1:2. I am between 2.5 and 3 on my Ceado but please keep in mind all beans are not the same regarding roasting. Therefore, I know my grind settings will always change.

To save beans ... You can see what I did with my Ceado E37S. I do not use the bean Hopper at all. I specifically use the Ceado for double dose grinding with the ECM synchronika tamper covering the bean chamber after I load 18 grams of beans in it. COOL NOTE: Of all the times I've been doing this (about 100 so far) , I have received very close to zero retention on the beans grinded. I am truly satisfied. To see this in action ... Go to this youtube video.



Scroll to 7 minute mark to see the workflow and the blind shaker I use.

dale_cooper

Postby dale_cooper » Mar 20, 2019, 9:26 am

andreugv1 wrote: Anyway 27 seconds for 18 grams seems to be quite short. How many grams out do you get?


Why do you say that? Typical 18g doses are timed at 25-33 seconds in my opinion....

What are the extraction times of your shots?

andreugv1

Postby andreugv1 » replying to dale_cooper » Mar 21, 2019, 12:24 am

That would depend on the preinfusion time. I do long preinfusions (all the way up to 30-40 seconds). In the end all comes down to having all the numbers to better assist the OP in troubleshooting the shots.

One thing I do not understand is how single dosing affects grind size. The grind path is the same so the grinds size should remain the same. Grinding time might change due to popcorning and all that, but that would be it.