Hiku: The Premium Hand Coffee Grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 17

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#161: Post by JohnB. »

Rytopa wrote:Any you guys haven't burr rub issues? I have burr rub at 0.4. I am unable to do any espresso grinds.
.04 would be way too fine for any espresso on my Hiku. .07-.08 seems to work well for my pump machine. A little coarser for the spring lever.
LMWDP 267

Rytopa

#162: Post by Rytopa »

samuellaw178 wrote:Is the mechanism tightened sufficiently? It seems like the inner shaft is wobbly which may explain why you get some premature rub...
Yes the inner burr is tighten sufficiently, too tight and the burr rub would get worst at earlier settings.

Grind settings at 0.7 is too coarse (visually) for espresso. my V60 settings is around 1.2-1.4.

This grinder right out of the box was giving me problems, the three lower screws were tighten too tightly, causing the adjustment ring to be unable to move. Took me a while to figure out how to resolve it as it did not come with any instructions. An expensive KS lesson learnt for me.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#163: Post by JohnB. replying to Rytopa »

It certainly sounds like you got a lemon. Have you asked Kanso to cover the return shipping cost?
LMWDP 267

doelauw (original poster)

#164: Post by doelauw (original poster) »

I tried the Hiku with my Pavoni. There I had great results! So I might keep my Hiku as espresso grinder. Just cannot get it to work with my v60, not coarse enough and really lack flavor and get higher body results. Time to open up my Hiku to inspect the build.

kbell

#165: Post by kbell »

Any updates of adjusting your Kinus? Anyone get their's straightened out?

riozebratubo

#166: Post by riozebratubo »

Based on my own experience with Hiku and reading reviews to know if I had a defective unit, I don't believe I had one. I believe Hiku is not a grinder well suited for pourover range. Not a homogeneous enough grind and at pourover grind sizes little adjustments are simply not possible.

renatoa

#167: Post by renatoa »

Not homogeneous for a grinder points to decentering, and this can be easily diagnosed.

I didn't feel the need for little adjustments for any of the brew methods, is not critical as for espresso.
While for espresso the range on my Kinu/Pavoni is limited between 1.2-1.3, for brew I feel free to swing between 2.0 and 3.0, without worry will miss a good extraction.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#168: Post by JohnB. »

riozebratubo wrote:Based on my own experience with Hiku and reading reviews to know if I had a defective unit, I don't believe I had one. I believe Hiku is not a grinder well suited for pourover range. Not a homogeneous enough grind and at pourover grind sizes little adjustments are simply not possible.
The original burrs do seem to be optimized for espresso & they do a great job in that range. Not too long ago they posted a photo on Instagram of a new set of "brew" range burrs they plan to offer. No idea when they will be available.
LMWDP 267

guydebord

#169: Post by guydebord »

Has anyone tried the V1.2 for brew? "V1.2 is the new version Hiku that has modified adjustment range for coarser grinds."
I am looking to upgrade my travel grinder and it will be this or the Kinu Traveler. While traveling, I brew FP in an ESPRO Ultralight.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

devlin2427

#170: Post by devlin2427 »

I have been playing for a while with the latest Hiku version and my conclusion seems to be that it's better for brew and worse for espresso. Worse because I can't get a fine enough grinder for my Gaggia G106. I'm already at the 0 setting and I constantly get underextractions from light, but not extremely light roasts.

IMO they were too ambitious with the grind setting range.