Hiku: The Premium Hand Coffee Grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 16

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Sep 16, 2018, 9:57 am

I've only used my Hiku in the espresso range but I have zero complaints. Using it back to back with my Lido 2 yesterday I found the Hiku easier to use overall. Easier to grind the same beans & especially setting/maintaining the grind adjustment.

I ordered the hiku but I'm kind off disappointed. The fines & boulders seem to be all over the place. When I looked at the first pictures the grinds looked really consistent.

Let us know what grind setting you are using & I'll see what the output looks like on my Hiku at the same setting. Maybe the burr alignment is off in your grinder or maybe the Hiku is optimized for espresso?
LMWDP 267

Laurentje

Postby Laurentje » Sep 16, 2018, 2:13 pm

Hey,

I've been using the coursest setting (2.2) to do v60, and do my usual 20/300 ratio. I can't get it to drain under 3 minutes. The bed on the v60 is very muddy with very very large boulders in it. Never seen it this bad.
However, a few weeks ago i replaced burrs on a mazzer Robur at work & the grind results in the first week were (not this bad but) similar. After two-three days (we do 12 kg's of coffee a day) it was fine.

Maybe the burrs need a break in and stuff will settle. We'll see. The range seems very much on the espresso side of things, yes.

doelauw

Postby doelauw » Sep 18, 2018, 3:12 am

Having the same issue with v60.

This morning I made my to go Aeropress with the Hiku vs the past two days where I used my Lido. It just wasn't as good, same bean, same water, same temp, same recipe. Pressing was harder (2.2) and missing the rich fruity flavour the bean presents. Overal the coffee body was more present.

autoexec

Postby autoexec » Sep 18, 2018, 5:48 am

I can easily tell from the beginning when I saw the grind particles. It's just not as uniform as my other grinders. I knew it would result in a muddy coffee bed and not so distinct taste in the cup. I think the geometry is to blame as the burrs are reasonably aligned. My unit is now resting in its box and I can't find a method that suits it. Even for espresso, it can grind for it but my other grinders delivers better taste and uniformity so right now it is useless to me. It also takes way too long to grind at any setting compared to my other hand grinders. Even slower than a Comandante which is my slowest (except for Hario Ceramic Slim mill) grinder.

autoexec

Postby autoexec » Sep 18, 2018, 5:58 am

Laurentje wrote:Taste... underextracted & more bitters. Finer grinding result in clogging.

Comandante outperforms it easily. Even with grind speed & easy grinding

+1!
I thought it is a fast and grinder as how they marketed it. If it can't even match the speed of the Comandante it should be at least half the speed of the Lido's. And it can't get nowhere near the grind quality of C40 Mk3. Some folks will be saying that it might be slower because you're turning it slower because of the higher torque required. That is not the case with me as I keep my speed the same at around 1.5 turns per second for all my handgrinders.

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Sep 18, 2018, 12:28 pm

I don't do a lot of hand grinding so no idea what is fast or slow. Just ran an 18.5g dose of a medium roast blend through the Hiku at .08. Grinding at a leisurely pace it took 50 seconds & 74 revolutions. I can't fault the grind uniformity in the espresso range.I compared the grounds side by side with espresso grounds from my K10 & they look/felt very, very similar.
LMWDP 267

ira

Postby ira » Sep 18, 2018, 12:31 pm

Given all the feedback it certainly sounds like a small number of people got Hiku grinders with defective burrs or serious alignment problems. It certainly happens, there were a lot of defective or at least not very good Robur burrs at one time and the Monolith Conical stopped being offered with one particular burr because the reject rate was so high. Have you contacted Hiku?

Ira

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Sep 18, 2018, 4:52 pm

Just to wrap up my Lido 2/Hiku comparison I ran the same 18.5g dose of the same medium roast blend through the L2 at 11 lines out which works well for shots on my Speedster. It took the same 50 seconds but only about 69 revolutions as opposed to the Hiku's 74. Grinding required more effort & it did hang up a few times hence the same time for less grinding. As far as the taste/mouthfeel of the shots the Hiku was the clear winner. While it wasn't up to K10 standards the Hiku did bring out the peanut/caramel in the blend much better then the Lido 2.
LMWDP 267

Rytopa

Postby Rytopa » Sep 18, 2018, 7:34 pm

Any you guys haven't burr rub issues? I have burr rub at 0.4. I am unable to do any espresso grinds. Contacted hiku but they require me to send in the grinder. Shipping cost to and fro would price my grinder in the c40 range, which I am very unlikely to proceed. Any help would be appreciated, it seems my inner burrs is seriously out of whack

I have spend countless hours trying to reaglin it back via the he tool and the 3 screws at the bottom .. the best I could manage to burr rub at 0.35 which after a while would slowly creep back to 0.4 burr rub

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Sep 18, 2018, 8:24 pm

Rytopa wrote:Any you guys haven't burr rub issues? I have burr rub at 0.4. I am unable to do any espresso grinds.

Is the mechanism tightened sufficiently? It seems like the inner shaft is wobbly which may explain why you get some premature rub...