Hiku: The Premium Hand Coffee Grinder (Kickstarter) - Page 15

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#141: Post by JohnB. »

It took 21 days but my Hiku finally showed up today. Carton was a little worse for wear but the grinder looked fine despite the handle popping out of it's cut out. Adjuster works fine & the burrs seem to be well aligned. Pulled 2 shots so far. First was 18g ground at .06 which was a little too fine but still produced a nice shot. Second was a 16g dose ground at .07 which was just about right. Both shots were creamy & tasty but didn't have all the flavors that my K10 brings out of the same blend. No static issues & no WDT required to get nice pours on the Speedster. No issues with the grounds cup coming loose or the adjustment ring moving.
LMWDP 267

doelauw (original poster)

#142: Post by doelauw (original poster) »

I received my Hiku a week ago during my holiday. This weekend I was able to play with it. Here are my initial findings. I'm a lido et owner, lover and have experience with baratza electric grinders.

I like the size of the grinder, small. Build quality is great, feels great. I did a few v60s and played between 1.2 to 1.8. Speed is nice not great, however with a bigger batch like 38-50g this grinder is certainly faster then my lido. I have read issues about heavy grinding. I do not have those at all. Find the grinder easy to turn and like the big swing. I have to add that I'm a 1,84 tall guy with hands that suit my length :-). Catch jar dropped once, but after that I discovered it was not attached fully. You can turn the jar quite far so it really holds well. The burr is very well aligned with no rub.

I'm still testing and comparing flavor. My v60s drain with consistency, so few fines.

doelauw (original poster)

#143: Post by doelauw (original poster) »

I'm not getting to the point where I can be exited about the hiku's grind size. I'm a v60 lover and there is a need for medium-coarse grind which seems to be impossible on my hiko. It also seems there are more fines on the coarse setting. I might contact support on that. So much I love about the Hiku, I really want it to work for my poor-overs .... which it doesn't. I will contact support on the coars issues.

espressoking

#144: Post by espressoking »

Same here (unfortunately). Had to send it back. No chance for pour over / v60 style ... at least not for many of the beans that I tried.
I will write a more detailed feedback but will wait for the final handling of this case.

namelessone

#145: Post by namelessone »

You can't really tell visually how much fines there are. In a coarser grind, it will look as if there's more fines because of the contrast between particle sizes.

autoexec

#146: Post by autoexec replying to namelessone »

You'll know for sure if you have better grinders to compare it to. I have other manual grinders such as M47, C40, Aergrind, and they all have less fines from my Hiku. Both visually and the fact that you can see unusual fines clinging on the sidewalls of your V60 brew, and the unusual longer drawdown time.

Laurentje

#147: Post by Laurentje »

Hey y'all :) first post. I'm laurent. Two times third place in the Dutch brewers cup .. worked at a roastery, home brewing enthousiast and work as a barista.

I ordered the hiku but I'm kind off disappointed. The fines & boulders seem to be all over the place. When I looked at the first pictures the grinds looked really consistent.

I wonder if it has anything to do with break-in period of the burrs, maybe burr design itself or geometry of the device as a whole.

Mbb

#148: Post by Mbb »

All that matters is taste
How does it taste? When brew is optimized for it?
Not other way around

Visual assessment is worthless for pourover

Laurentje

#149: Post by Laurentje »

Taste... underextracted & more bitters. Finer grinding result in clogging.

Comandante outperforms it easily. Even with grind speed & easy grinding

Eastsideloco

#150: Post by Eastsideloco »

Laurentje wrote:Comandante outperforms it easily. Even with grind speed & easy grinding
This is a good reminder that of the difficties bringing a new, high end product to market. According to the early adopters here on H-B, the first version of the Comandante was very disappointing in terms of performance and quality control. The company clearly learned from those mistakes, as subsequent customers seem happy. Maybe Hiku can do the same.