HG-1 Prime user experience - Page 14

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
madgalaxy
Supporter ♡

#131: Post by madgalaxy »

Can anyone give a compare of the Prime vs say an MC4 or MC5? I have been very intrigued by the Prime for a couple months now, but have an MC5 on order (Sept).

cmin

#132: Post by cmin »

My exquisitely honed and precise design to stop popcorning...... cut paper plate 8) . And yes those are Harbor Freight mini clamps, have it on a temporary movable island right now as renting this place and even with wheels locked it rocks trying to grind especially light roast. Clamps make a huge difference.

Vencho Miloshevski

#133: Post by Vencho Miloshevski »

Hi everyone, has anyone recently purchased something from Craig Lyn? Do you know if the company still operates? I contacted them everywhere and I'm not receiving any replies, they also seem to haven't been that much active on their social media profiles. Also, anyone here has experience in purchasing the HG-1 Prime in Europe? How much import taxes did you pay?

Thank you!

mixi

#134: Post by mixi »

Venco, did you eng up buying from Craig Lyn? I'd be interested in getting the grinder and I'm also based in Europe.

knumph

#135: Post by knumph »

Just ordered my hg-1 prime, should be at my house Thursday. Looking forward to it!

knumph

#136: Post by knumph »

More or less dialed in for my current espresso offerings. How much are you guys manipulating the dial to get from espresso to pourover settings (v60)? Rough estimates are fine, unfortunately I don't have any mid-tier beans to put through this at the moment

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#137: Post by Pressino »

I rotate the ring counterclockwise (looking from above) about one full turn going from espresso to pour-over, when using the same beans. Right now, for example, the ring is set a 11 (from fully closed) for espresso. If I want to grind for filter I'd coarsen the grind by rotating counterclockwise to 11 again to get in the ball park, but you will probably find you need to move maybe 2 or 3 numbers coarser to get it where you want it. That's what I've found works for how I've alligned and set my burrs so YMMV, though probably not too much.

knumph

#138: Post by knumph »

Thanks! That rec was bang on for my morning drip

cmin

#139: Post by cmin »

Pressino wrote:I rotate the ring counterclockwise (looking from above) about one full turn going from espresso to pour-over, when using the same beans. Right now, for example, the ring is set a 11 (from fully closed) for espresso. If I want to grind for filter I'd coarsen the grind by rotating counterclockwise to 11 again to get in the ball park, but you will probably find you need to move maybe 2 or 3 numbers coarser to get it where you want it. That's what I've found works for how I've alligned and set my burrs so YMMV, though probably not too much.
Actually never used mine for V60 but now may try, I just didn't want to go back and forth, actually thought 1 full turn wouldn't of been enough and didn't want to track lol. Guess it's easier than I thought to be in range. May try later.

cmin

#140: Post by cmin »

Pressino wrote:I rotate the ring counterclockwise (looking from above) about one full turn going from espresso to pour-over, when using the same beans. Right now, for example, the ring is set a 11 (from fully closed) for espresso. If I want to grind for filter I'd coarsen the grind by rotating counterclockwise to 11 again to get in the ball park, but you will probably find you need to move maybe 2 or 3 numbers coarser to get it where you want it. That's what I've found works for how I've alligned and set my burrs so YMMV, though probably not too much.
Ok, that was actually fairly in range. I was currently at 5-1 so backed off coarse 1 full turn back to 5. 16g Hario Switch on a light roast, 1st pour and than closed switch at 40 seconds and then forgot about it for like 5 minutes lol :lol:. Released, and pretty surprised, completely different vs 1zpresso Q2 I got last year as a hand grinder or travel to play with. This had a nice fruit under tone and was almost more tea like a bit. My Q2 has the heptagonal burr.

It drained fairly fast so I'll try finer. Q2 should be broken in by now but I've found it finicky, sometimes it's good than keeping everything exactly the same the cups can vary even tasting astringent or missing fruit of previous cup.

HG1 lil finicky though going back, there were a few coarser bean fragments left. But since my other grinders are packed up still may just use the Prime all around now.

Far faaar less fines than Q2