HG-1 Prime user experience - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
drH

#11: Post by drH »

BodieZoffa wrote:Do explain as I find my 106 to be outstanding in grind/build quality as well as simple functionality...

Absolutely I don't mean to knock the Helor. It's excellent and maybe (because of alignment) better in the cup than any other 83mm conical burr grinder.
I'm just speculating that a countertop version like the HG1 prime might have a simpler workflow. I wouldn't expect an improvement in taste but maybe in countertop presence and convenience. Hard to be sure without using one.

BodieZoffa

#12: Post by BodieZoffa »

drH wrote: Absolutely I don't mean to knock the Helor. It's excellent and maybe (because of alignment) better in the cup than any other 83mm conical burr grinder.
I'm just speculating that a countertop version like the HG1 prime might have a simpler workflow. I wouldn't expect an improvement in taste but maybe in countertop presence and convenience. Hard to be sure without using one.
Yes I can see that point... the 106 is so well machined/compact it's what I still look fwd to using pretty much every day and I grind a fair amount. I bought it for my remaining lifetime of use and no doubt it will match that. I will say the new offering from Craig Lyn does look quite awesome as I just couldn't handle the previous design/bulk for something so simple in use.

rajbangsa

#13: Post by rajbangsa »

LewBK wrote:I wonder how stable it will be when grinding, especially light roasts, given how little it weighs. Will it shift, shake, or move on the countertop? A few videos of it in action would help.
They also have a mounting kit as an option

KarlSchneider

#14: Post by KarlSchneider »

chipman wrote:Price is still the same as the original HG1. I like the changes. My original first edition of the HG1 is still going strong. I just wish I could say the same for my aging bones. The newer easier grinding gear ratio could be a godsend for those who want a titan hand grinder.
Bought my HG-1 in 2014 and it is also still working perfectly -- grinding 6 shots every day. I soon start my 75th year and reading about the HG-1 Prime's lighter weight makes me wonder if it could become needed. Picking up the current grinder is still OK but for how long? I do not clamp it to anything. If the new one needs to be clamped that would not be usable in my setup.
LMWDP # 008

chipman

#15: Post by chipman replying to KarlSchneider »

My problem is not picking up the grinder, but turning the crank on lighter roasted beans. An interesting tid bit is that I recently tried and failed to grind some light beans normally. I ended up starting the handle at 12:00 position and turning to a 3:00 position and repeating. Surprisingly enough the grind came out a perfectly. I did two more doses exactly the same, the drinks were both good and consistent. Makes me think about all this talk of grind speed and if it really makes a difference,

As for the Prime? I don't think it needs to be clamped, just that a neat option for it is built into the grinder.

LindoPhotography

#16: Post by LindoPhotography »

I have a Weber Key and other variable RPM grinders, I find usually lower RPM gives you more clarity and less body, higher RPM gives you more fines so you get higher body at the expense of clarity and shot time is usually longer. I think at least with really unimodal style burrs the higher RPM (and more fines) helps with nicer flowing (less channeling / issues) espresso shots, especially with Decent brand or VST precision baskets, which I seem to have a hard time pulling good looking /flowing shots with. I'm planning on doing some more experimenting with higher RPM and seeing if that helps, maybe it's just a bad combo with the precision baskets, seems like shots were coming out better with my machines stock basket (and similar IMS Superfine basket).

BodieZoffa

#17: Post by BodieZoffa replying to LindoPhotography »

I have found the opposite to be the case with numerous hand grinders, being conical of course. Slower definitely gives a slightly finer grind, slower extractions, more texture/body, etc. Not a night/day difference, but enough that I purposely grind slower and refuse to automate the process for that very reason.

KarlSchneider

#18: Post by KarlSchneider »

I am fortunate to have discovered every early that I prefer the taste ofdark roasts in espresso. And when I migrated to a hand grinder I learned how easier dark roast are to grind by hand than light roasts. I also learned early on that the INAO standards for espresso mke espresso I prefer. Specifically, 7 g± 0.5g ground coffee for a single shot of 25 ml with 25 second ± 2.5 second pull time. Less grinding. I am not fond of the shots made with higher dosages.
ICraig Lyn said somewhere the original HG-1 was imagined being used with an Olympia Cremina. I find the match perfect, though also just as good with my Elektra MCAL. I motice the feel of the beans as they age through the feel in the grinder and in the ull in the Cremina.
The small doses ground in the HG-1 of SO beans give great clarity in my lever machines. Clarity has always been my goal in roasting, grinding and ulling shots. For straight espresso *w/o milk or sugar) dry processed roasts from Yemen, Brazil or Ethiopia give that clarity. Americanos for the morning (still no milk or sugar) from Guattemala, Costa Rica, Sumatram Java and above all Kona give the finest clarity. In all cases roasted just into second crack.
The only motors remaining in my espresso making turn the drum and the fan in my Hottop.
LMWDP # 008

rajbangsa

#19: Post by rajbangsa »

2 (first) new videos from Craig Lyn

LindoPhotography

#20: Post by LindoPhotography »

That's interesting, I'm thinking maybe things are a bit different for hand grinding since the grinder is likely less level and being shaken around more at higher speed. Also the difference between low rpm and high rpm is probably not that great, vs something motorized.
I do have a hand grinder as well, but I never experimented with fast vs slow hand grinding. *Something else to add to my Todo list?

I think I remember someone talking about ... maybe an EG-1 saying they thought higher RPM = more clarity and faster shot time and Low RPM = more body, less clarity. But usually I think most people agree it's the opposite.

BodieZoffa wrote:I have found the opposite to be the case with numerous hand grinders, being conical of course. Slower definitely gives a slightly finer grind, slower extractions, more texture/body, etc. Not a night/day difference, but enough that I purposely grind slower and refuse to automate the process for that very reason.