Thread created in error

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mrdunu

#1: Post by mrdunu »

Thread created in error

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

The wiper should help a bit but primarily prevents buildup in the inside of the funnel.

I personally have not had this specific area covered in grounds ever.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

I don't have experience with an HG1, but I do find some beans have much more affinity to static cling than others. I recently had a bag of Malbar that clung not only to the burrs, but the screws and anything metalic in my grinder. They went out of their way to jump over and cling on things. Used the beans in a blend, the other bean being a clean drop from the burrs, and even there they continued to do their dance of static.

Luckily, after one shot or 2 they don't seem to be able to cling any deeper, so when the session is done cleanup was the same.

Crazy beans! :shock:
LMWDP #445

Fausto

#4: Post by Fausto »

I occasionally have this issue with certain beans. The only thing I have found to work is just more water. Try 4-5 sprays.

greg-g

#5: Post by greg-g »

The issue is not enough water.
I add too much water, probably 4 - 10 drops, then shake the little container upside down with a Tea Towel (Dish Towel ?) on top to remove the excess.

mrdunu (original poster)

#6: Post by mrdunu (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies!

While I expect that the type of bean may have varying degrees of static (I'm currently enjoying a batch of Kenyan Kiunyu), I also hypothesise that I need to use more sprays as part of my RDT.

Will keep you updated with my progress - thank you HB!

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty »

It also helps to regularly maintain (clean) oils that build up. Oils obviously create a tacky substrate for grounds to adhere to.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mgwolf »

It's either static cling or too much water. I use a $2 atomizer that I found at target (for perfumes I suppose) and I need 1-2 small spritzes for 17 g of beans on the HG1. There's never any sticking at all. There's usually a few grounds on the insides of the aluminum funnel thing and I gently clang it against the grinder and everything falls right off. Before I started spritzing, there was a lot of static with certain beans. The spritzer works MUCH better than the dropper did.

kellzey

#9: Post by kellzey »

Yep, I use a little spray bottle from Walmart in the travel section. Holds about 8 ounces of water. Have it adjusted to fine mist. Two pulls of the trigger on top of the beans... no grind retention.

mrdunu (original poster)

#10: Post by mrdunu (original poster) »

Deleted