HG-1 build quality issues

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Coffeechap

#1: Post by Coffeechap »

Having had no response over on the WUG motor thread, I thought I would start a thread here, especially as so many folk on here have the HG1 grinder.

Has anyone noticed on their grinder any quality issues, mine has rusting base plate bolts, one of which was threaded due to over tightening. Also for some reason when assembled no barrier grease was applied to the bolts, and the mixture of materials should really have something in between them.

Perhaps this is an isolated grinder with issues. However I feel that folk should be aware, especially if considering the WUG motor upgrade
levers levers levers, is there any other way?

chris_n

#2: Post by chris_n »

is your grinder in a moist area? not sure why there would be rust unless you spilled water and let it sit underneath for an extended period of time.

the quality of my grinder is excellent and am having zero issues with it after over 70kg from new.

Advertisement
Coffeechap (original poster)

#3: Post by Coffeechap (original poster) replying to chris_n »

Nope never been in water, have you tried removing the base?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#4: Post by mivanitsky »

The rusting base plate bolts are a common issue with these grinders, does not affect function, and is the result of their choice of bolts.

You can replace the bolts with stainless ones easily. I've never bothered.

#5: Post by Coffeechap (original poster) replying to mivanitsky »

Ah so others have experienced this, I agree replacing them would be simple if they hadn't reacted with the main housing metal and been overtightened in the first place.

I had to use body weight to get one of the bolts out and the thread in the housing now needs re tapping. Such a shame these things were not thought out in the beginning

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#6: Post by mivanitsky »

It is unfortunate that they never solved the problem, which has been present since the first production.

erik82

#7: Post by erik82 »

Coffeechap wrote:Ah so others have experienced this, I agree replacing them would be simple if they hadn't reacted with the main housing metal and been overtightened in the first place.

I had to use body weight to get one of the bolts out and the thread in the housing now needs re tapping. Such a shame these things were not thought out in the beginning
Why weren't they thought out? It's never an assumption of a manufacturer that people take apart a product for third party modifications for parts that would otherwise never be taken apart. If you didn't have bought the WUG1 motor you'd probably never noticed it and never experienced any problems with it. It's never fair to blame it on the manufacturer when you're modifying there products with third party modifications.

Advertisement
hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

Mine were rusty as well, and appeared to be case hardened. Stainless bolts are softer and if the factory was use impact tools with a high torque setting it would make sense to use hardened steel. Point being the base should never ever get loose........

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

erik82 wrote:Why weren't they thought out? It's never an assumption of a manufacturer that people take apart a product for third party modifications for parts that would otherwise never be taken apart. If you didn't have bought the WUG1 motor you'd probably never noticed it and never experienced any problems with it. It's never fair to blame it on the manufacturer when you're modifying there products with third party modifications.
Very true. When you, the owner of a device, decide to redesign it and this requires disassembly and/or modification of the original parts issues are your responsibility alone.

#10: Post by Coffeechap (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Complete rubbish

Many grinders get stripped down to do all manner of things to them, you should be able to take something apart without any issues, if the manufacturer doesn't consider materials and then over tightens something against a material that just won't cope with that, then that is poor manufacturing processes. Folk on here and elsewhere have modified many grinders, And they are all responsible for the well thought out improvements that have been achieved in grinder tech.