Help: Can't grind fine enough Baratza Sette 270

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Bluenoser

#1: Post by Bluenoser »

I have a Profitec Pro 500 and Sette 270 grinder. Both have worked super since I got them in June; and both seem to be working fine now.

I have a new package of beans, dark roast, espresso blend. I've used this brand a few times before and is from a local roaster. It is about 2 weeks off roast. For some strange reason, this bag is now pulling much too fast and I need some suggestions as to what to do next.

First, I've been using these exact same beans before (but different lot) and never had to dial the Sette lower than 3 on the large ring (finest setting is 1). I use 16.5g in .. (odd-ball weight, but it is what I first experimented with, so I know its characteristics); 32g out.

I'm using the normal Profitec double basket. I used to be able to choke the machine when I ground too fine, but now, at the finest setting I get 32g out in about 19 seconds from when I turn the lever on. I can see the output coming too fast. I have a bottomless portafilter and I've seen channeling and spurting when I first started learning about espresso, but I don't think I have those issues now. The flow looks normal but fast.

I took the grinder apart looking for a flaw, but didn't see one. I don't think I have ground a stone without noticing, and the grinds sure seem pretty fine when I put them between my finger and thumb.. sort of like flour..

The distribution and tamping is okay.. I have a bottomless portafilter and there is no channeling that I can tell.. no spurting.. Water temp has not changed. (I have PID control; and

I know I have a shim I can install in the Sette, but this is something that just happened all at once and it is such a change I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this before and can offer some insight on what I am seeing and what I might do to correct.. I can add more info and pictures if that will help. Sure going through this coffee quick.. but I've got at least 10-15 doses to experiment to see if I can correct.

Now I did updose one to 18g and it did pull slower.. about 32g in about 30 seconds.. but I like about 35 to 40 seconds and I found that shot still sour. And my grinder should be able to handle the 16.5g dose.

dave

ob3calp

#2: Post by ob3calp »

How many lbs do you have through the 270?
I noticed pretty sudden changes when the burrs were seasoning in. I even inspected the burrs to make sure a rock didn't chip up the edges, but everything looked fine.

Bluenoser (original poster)

#3: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

Hard to say.. maybe 30 lbs.. This is what I've noticed a sudden change and wondering if something could be causing it that I can't think of..

I may try installing the shim they sent with the unit to see if that helps.

markmark1

#4: Post by markmark1 »

I'm fairly sure that all of a sudden I couldn't grind fine enough too. The shim is probably in order.

#5: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

SOLVED:

Thanks for the replies.. You are right.. the shim.

I installed a 2nd shim (1 was already installed on delivery and I got 2 spare) and it went from 1A to 5E and this new pull took about 50 seconds.. Good thing I was making a latte :)

The change was so dramatic I thought something else was wrong.. I literally went from 3 to the finest setting all at once. Took the burrs out to inspect, hoping I didn't miss a stone in the coffee. But everything checked okay.. (and I clean it thoroughly every month)

Back in business!

BTW, I love the Sette 270 for single dosing.. Bought a bunch of flat bottom amber test tubes that hold up to about 20 g and made a very inexpensive single dose array. Works well..

dave

robertw

#6: Post by robertw »

So when you were pulling too fast before putting in second shim, the taste of coffee turned sour? Now that you're pulling normally, the sour taste disappears?

I have the Sette 270 as well at finest setting. I can pull normally at 25-35sec. using a triple basket (23g in, 40g out). The coffee often tastes bitter.

happycat

#7: Post by happycat replying to robertw »

You can try improving distribution to avoid channeling, and reducing your dose, and or reduc8ng your heat
LMWDP #603

Iowa_Boy

#8: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Bluenoser wrote:SOLVED:

Thanks for the replies.. You are right.. the shim.

I installed a 2nd shim (1 was already installed on delivery and I got 2 spare) and it went from 1A to 5E and this new pull took about 50 seconds.. Good thing I was making a latte :)

The change was so dramatic I thought something else was wrong.. I literally went from 3 to the finest setting all at once. Took the burrs out to inspect, hoping I didn't miss a stone in the coffee. But everything checked okay.. (and I clean it thoroughly every month)

Back in business!

BTW, I love the Sette 270 for single dosing.. Bought a bunch of flat bottom amber test tubes that hold up to about 20 g and made a very inexpensive single dose array. Works well..

dave
I'm still looking for a good option for bean cellars. May do mini mason jars but amber tubes sound interesting. Can you share details of what you got and the stand as well? Thanks!

#9: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

I've attached 3 pics.. hopefully they upload.

In one you can see 3 different vessels I looked at. I finally settled on the amber tube because it was made of borosilicate and the amber is supposed to be UV protective from what I read. The graduated tube was okay.. but the round bottom makes it a bit cumbersome at times and its cover had a paper liner. The cork bottle was good, but I was worried the cork (which is thin) might crumble over time. Who knows if the UV of amber is really necessary, but it was available so that's what I went with.

I had to buy separate tops with plastic liners. The holder is temporary and out of LEGO. I have a 2 x 6 hole test tube holder on order from eBay.. China.. takes up to 2 months to come, so it will arrive some day.

The amber bottle is 27.4mm wide and so any TTholder that handles 30mm will work. The neck has a slight constriction so that the beans won't pour out directly, you need a gentle shake, but it is not inconvenient.

The amber tube holds up to 20g approx. I dose with 17 and there is lots of room. Some of the expensive bean cellars have a one way CO2 valve on top. My gut tells me there is no way that 17g of beans, 5 days off roast will generate enough CO2 pressure to make such a valve actually release. That's just intuition. The covers seem pretty air-tight.

I weight 17g for each dose on small scale and pour into each tube with a homemade funnel. The tube will stand on a small scale so it is pretty quick. I could just fill each to same level and would be within 1/2 gram I think.

I had to buy a lot of 100 tubes.. (I was bored last summer, and the bean cellar consumed some restless time) and would be happy to sell 20 tubes with tops for about $30 but I think the shipping from Canada would be prohibitive. If you want to inquire you are welcome; I live in Nova Scotia, Canada.

The amber tubes aren't super thick and would break if dropped on a hard surface, but I've had no issue with them in a month. I wanted glass as it is so inert and easier to clean although you'd need to find the right brush. I only plan to clean them about once every 3 months or so. Really nice because I can "dose up" and go a week by just selecting a tube, grinding (Sette 270 is great for single dosing) and pulling shot. I freeze the rest of the bag; then after a week, measure out 175g, let it thaw and then pour into tubes. (thaw to remove condensation from air from being trapped in tubes).

If you are a wood worker, you could make a hard wood holder for the tubes. I actually liked the LEGO as a temp solution. Maybe someday I'll go with a nice wood.. Need to find a nice blank and someone with a drill press.

I can't remember where I got the tubes from.. amazon, I think.

#10: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

robertw wrote:So when you were pulling too fast before putting in second shim, the taste of coffee turned sour? Now that you're pulling normally, the sour taste disappears?

I have the Sette 270 as well at finest setting. I can pull normally at 25-35sec. using a triple basket (23g in, 40g out). The coffee often tastes bitter.
Yes.. it definitely tasted sour. You definitely need to put in a shim if you are at the finest setting. 23 g is a big dose. And if the beans are dark, and have robusta, you just might be tasting a bit of 'really strong dose' of espresso. Think I'd only be allowed one of those doses a day. :)

Now you may be using that big a dose because you can't grind 18g fine enough.. again.. you need a shim. I just installed my 2nd shim in my Sette 270 and have one more I could add. I went from 1A to about 6 after adding.

I have found that I prefer the following timings.. Turn vibe pump full on (Profitec 500 HX-PID), first drop in 6 seconds.. (3 is too fast). Then 30-35 seconds for 32-34g. If you are using 40g out, I might expect closer to 35-40 seconds overall.

So I'd recommend the shim and grinding finer and seeing how it tastes..