Helor Stance Motor, is it a Monolith Conical alternative? - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jonathonhagerty

#41: Post by jonathonhagerty »

samuellaw178 wrote:Sure do! Now that you reminded me, I hadn't turned on the Monolith Conical for the past few days (and just did). :P Initial observations, my shots are consistent, if not a hair more (my Monolith received a new burrs and has about 3-4 kg through so perhaps requires even more break in). The Stance is just as easy to use in workflow - feels like a whole another level up from what I remember the manual Stance to be. The Monolith grinds slightly faster than the Stance (a few seconds faster). The fork is cleverly designed (great for 58mm portafilters but don't think it'd work with smaller pf) and the motor is super quiet even when grinding - no vibration at all. Like other single dosing grinders, it also benefits from both RDT and WDT, best with RDT but probably acceptable without WDT. Taste wise, very close, but I thought I tasted some difference. Will pull out the refractometer to test it out (and some blind tasting) and a more detailed report to come...
Hi Sam,
Any recollection of a taste difference?
Thanks, Jon

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by samuellaw178 replying to jonathonhagerty »

Hi Jon, nothing conclusive as I had hoped originally. There may be some small differences (I tried doing a blind testing but wasn't really setup to do so). My impression is still both were excellent. The Helor Stance went back last week, I certainly didn't notice much changes in the cup when going back to the Monolith. I did miss one aspect of the Stance when it's gone. Perhaps it's the difference in seasoning level or it's the straight through design, on the Stance, I almost don't have to do anything to get all the grind. Whereas with the Monolith I had to pat the funnel or to remove and tap the magnetic chute.If I don't do any of those it may fluctuate between 0.2-1.5 g between different shots depending on the coffee - and that's with RDT already, perhaps I need to spray even more. I felt like I had to work more in the morning (first world problem haha!) after the Stance is gone . But I am hoping it will improve with more use.

Although I didn't succeed in the blind testing, I did try to compare both without WDT on both the Monolith and Stance. Shots were prettier without WDT on the Monolith (still showing some doughnut effect so I typically do some redistribution/WDT anyway). On the Stance, it's close but not as good (doughnut as well, with some small dead spots occasionally - due to the straight through design I think), definitely much better than the HG-1 I had. With either of the grinder, I would recommend using WDT as the result is so much better for such a small investment on your part. If you absolutely despise WDT (but ok with tapping to get the retention out), the Monolith may have some advantage. I honestly don't mind living with just the Stance if Helor decided to put it on a permanent loan. :lol:

jonathonhagerty

#43: Post by jonathonhagerty »

Thanks Sam! I dont mind wdt. I ordered an LR which comes with one, but also ordered a blind shaker. We'll see which is easier. Really appreciate your insight. I'm all for reducing steps at 4am (wife does 12 hour shifts at the trauma center). Yep, 1st world problems hah!