Helor Stance Motor - a 83mm conical single dosing grinder – First Look - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Aug 12, 2018, 11:57 am

isabelo wrote:Mike, Do you know the reason why Denis did not put adjustable rpm on the Monolith Conical?

It does not need it, and the controllable DC motors in the Flats do not have the torque to drive the Conical under load.

isabelo

Postby isabelo » replying to mivanitsky » Aug 12, 2018, 1:43 pm

Similar reasoning Stance/Option-O gave to Paolo's query earlier, and I quote:
"As we're using an AC induction motor, it is unfortunately slightly more complex to include the variable speed feature. The speed on a DC motor can be regulated more easily, however, it is not suitable for the torque requirement on conical burrs."

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Aug 12, 2018, 4:41 pm

Yes, and probably even more so for the Helor Stance Motor, as it uses the larger 83mm burrs.

ttttt91

Postby ttttt91 » Aug 12, 2018, 11:56 pm

Yep, ordered one today!!

Biggest and badest conical burrs, apparently well aligned, a good price and a company with a good customer service rep. Whats not to like? :D

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Aug 13, 2018, 12:18 am

Nothing, actually. I absolutely love my Helor 101. It punches way above it's weight. The 83mm conical burrs on my HG1 are also fearsome, and when the grinder is aligned very well (this is hard), it is noninferior to any of the three Monolith Conicals that I have used.

jonathonhagerty

Postby jonathonhagerty » replying to mivanitsky » Aug 13, 2018, 1:06 am

Hi Mivanitsky,
I just preordered the stance motor. I'm upgrading from a baratza encore lol. Think I'll notice a difference?

You mentioned alignment is important. How do I ensure my stance is properly aligned? Is helor responsible for this? If it's not perfectly aligned, can I fix it? Is it easy? Does alignment slip over time? Did you realign yours?

Thanks, Jon

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Aug 13, 2018, 1:11 am

If you don't notice a difference, see a doctor.

I have not used a Stance. I would hope that it comes aligned, but my Helor 101 is user alignable by loosening the outer burr carrier screws, tightening the burrs, and then tightening the screws. Doing this iteratively results in the best alignment for that grinder.

speedplay

Postby speedplay » Aug 13, 2018, 2:42 am

Just pre-ordered mine too.
Getting a Helor Stance Motor complete package.

ttttt91

Postby ttttt91 » Aug 13, 2018, 10:48 am

I guess Mivanitsky is a die hard Kafatek fan. I see totally why one can fall for a Kafatek. And the reasons are real. However...

- why use a term like "noninferior"...it means acutally it is equal but the author does not want to write equal. Why?
- Why bringing in the ES-1. The stance is a completely different grinder construction. Do we make the Monolith sound worse by using a grinder with the same burrs to convey that the monolith has issues? I guess this is not how to make an argument.

I agree that the Stance still has to prove itself. While first looks (Sam and friends) are pointing to a head-to-head race (meaning no blind test or TDS test can distinguish the stance from the MonCon), we actually have to confirm these first findings.

But making a good alignment should not be rocket science. So clever minds and some good execution should be able to achieve this. No reason, Kafatek is the only one knowing the "secret". But the industrial (star wars) design has an impact on people :-)

Again, precision and alignment of Stance have to be confirmed, but on paper it has some strong points going for it:
- Vertical chute vs chute at an angle has the potential of even less retention
- Bigger burrs. Bigger used to be always better
- Ceramic bearings need no grease
- lower hght, fits under my kitchen cabinet, while the MonCon does not (I like conicals, but would have bought a flat kafatek....)

IUespresso

Postby IUespresso » Aug 13, 2018, 10:59 am

Pre-ordered mine as well. Excited to check this out in person! Thanks again for the detailed write up Sam!! The workflow video was especially helpful, so thanks for taking the time to do that.

Mike- thanks for providing the info on the Moncon as well as I know you have had a lot of experience with both the flat and the conical. I have the flat and it is awesome. Denis is top notch and his dedication to precision is very admirable!

Looking forward to trying something new though.

-Michael