Helor Stance Motor - a 83mm conical single dosing grinder - First Look - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
speedplay

#61: Post by speedplay »

Headala wrote:So are you guys pre-ordering just the motor kit or the whole grinder + motor kit? Isn't the grinder available now, and the motor adaptable to the grinder?
The new Helor Stance Motor complete package.

DaveB

#62: Post by DaveB »

JohnW wrote:Still not working on my iPad, so I switched to my iMac. Still not working so I installed Firefox (a different browser) and it still didn't work. So - I give up. I think the HB website uses HTML for the forum messages and my iOS and OS operating systems won't recognize it. If anyone can help me to get it to work on an iPad or iMac I would appreciate hearing from you.

FWIW, the quotation marks in the screenshot above appear using the built-in, standard Safari browser on my iMac running OS 10.12.6, with Mobile Safari on my iPad running IOS 11.0, and Mobile Safari on my jailbroken iPhone running IOS 10.2. I humbly suggest the problem is not the device, OS/IOS, or browser. 8)

The only thing I can think of is that you're not logged in prior to posting.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

mauijer

#63: Post by mauijer »

samuellaw178 wrote:In my case, I felt that the 83mm and 68mm are too close apart to tell from noise - perhaps I can endeavor to perform a blind taste test this weekend but if I had to strain to tell them side-by-side, it won't be a meaningful difference then.

Basically what Louis (ncrc51) said. The Monolith has built a track record and is slightly more compact (slightly less deep) especially with the new upgrades. The Helor has proven themselves in the premium hand grinder section but this high-end grinders seems to be a new territory for them. If they do maintain their QC they will have a very compelling grinder.

With the Stance's design, you can easily access and check/verify the burrs alignment and there's nothing to hide - something that can be a pro/con to the users and company. :lol: As for alignment, I really had hoped I could access the burrs and verify the alignment on Monolith, but the results did assure me they are up to par.
Can you post a pic of them side by side for a size comparison and/or a video of each grinding a set amount of beans to more readily appreciate the sound and time for each under the same circumstances. Can you extrapolate on how you are easily checking the alignment of the Stance? Also, how easy is it to get back to reproducible/same settings after changing the setting or cleaning the Stance compared with the Monolith?

Thank you,

JohnW

#64: Post by JohnW »

Headala wrote:So are you guys pre-ordering just the motor kit or the whole grinder + motor kit? Isn't the grinder available now, and the motor adaptable to the grinder?
Helor Stance Motor complete package.

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

mauijer wrote:Can you post a pic of them side by side for a size comparison and/or a video of each grinding a set amount of beans to more readily appreciate the sound and time for each under the same circumstances.
Hi Jeremy,

Sure, here you go. It's an amateur unedited video and it's the reason why I hadn't put one up. :oops: Be warned my video's production value is not that high as usual (huge understatement :lol: ). But hopefully that gives you a better idea. Taking video with one hand while operating with another does handicap the process, but it's fairly representative.

And sorry, it's in portrait mode...just realized after the fact. Tried to use the small tripod I had but it wasn't able to capture the entire thing in the frame so this will have to do for now.
This is with 15.0g Sulawesi Blue (poor beans that were sacrificed) that happens to be lightly more staticky than light roasted Ethiopians. Exactly two sprays from atomizer on each. Might've been slightly overzealous with tapping the Monolith there. Once seasoned fully (from memory), it should take less palming (about half) to get all the grinds out.

Foot print is about the same with similar width and height. The Stance is slightly deeper (both the grinders are pushed back as far as possible). The newer Monolith is shorter than the one I have. The Monolith appears slimmer as the motor is not encased whereas the Stance has it in the housing. With the portafilter, they are almost a wash - look at the pf's shadows and the line from the wood grains to have an idea.

Can you extrapolate on how you are easily checking the alignment of the Stance? Also, how easy is it to get back to reproducible/same settings after changing the setting or cleaning the Stance compared with the Monolith?
Just visually or tools if you have one (I don't). You can also lay the grinder upside down and work on it. The burrs mechanism will be just be naked right in front of you. Grind setting seems very reproducible, I have no issues with it.
★ Helpful

mauijer

#66: Post by mauijer »

samuellaw178 wrote:Hi Jeremy,

Sure, here you go. It's an amateur unedited video and it's the reason why I hadn't put one up.
AWESOME! very informative video. You combined so many comparison aspects: size, shape, workflow etc.

Gotta admit I'm liking the Stance more

Thanks Sam

Iowa_Boy

#67: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Looks like the Stance will not have an adjustable RPM and the Monolith grinders do. Is that a big disadvantage of the Stance?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#68: Post by mivanitsky »

Monolith Conical does not have adjustable RPM. Flat and Flat Max do.

isabelo

#69: Post by isabelo replying to mivanitsky »

Mike, Do you know the reason why Denis did not put adjustable rpm on the Monolith Conical?

ttttt91

#70: Post by ttttt91 »

Thank you Sam for this review

Do you keep now the MonCon or the Stance? Which one if you could have only one? And is resulting in a "better" coffee in the cup?

Again, thanks much
T