Helor Stance Motor - a 83mm conical single dosing grinder - First Look - Page 11

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnW

#101: Post by JohnW »

mivanitsky wrote:
Search for "vermouth atomizer" on Amazon for RDT spray bottle.

I personally prefer the Londinium WDT tool over others, but it is expensive compared to sticking wires in a cork.
Thanks, Mike. I found them quite easily.

ds

#102: Post by ds »

Beewee wrote:The fact that it was beneficial for the HG-1 to have a chute sweeper but there was no observable benefit on the Stance makes a lot of sense when you account for the different grind chamber and chute material being used.

The HG-1 and Monoliths all have annodized aluminum grind chambers and chutes. The annodization of aluminum basically turns the surface from aluminum (which is electrically conductive) into a ceramic which is at best, mildly conductive, or more than likely a good insulator. For this reason, a static electric charge on the annodized aluminum chute can build up on the surface with no way to discharge easily. When you have two insulators with different static electric potential such as the annodized chute surface and the grinds, you can have the grinds stick to the sides of the chute, thereby requiring a mechanical device to brush the grinds off the surface.

The Stance on the otherhand has a 304 Stainless Steel chute which is conductive. Any grinds that touches the chute will transfer its charge to the conductive chute and effectively discharge/equalize its static electric electric potential with the chute. In so doing, the grinds share the same electric potential, even if the chute is not grounded, thereby losing its attraction to the chute and subsequently falling into the portafilter.

Hope that makes sense.
In theory that sounds good in practice it does not work for coffee. My Mazzer Super Jolly Electronic had grounded stainless exit chute to which coffee would stick like there is no tomorrow. There is simply not enough conductivity to dissipate static on ground coffee. It will be exactly same on Stance.

speedplay

#103: Post by speedplay »

JohnW wrote:I do have a question about something that keeps coming up in this thread, though - where can I get a tool to do the WDT and a little sprayer (or whatever it should be called) for RDT?
I was informed that the grinder will include a spray bottle for RDT and possibly a WDT tool too!

ttttt91

#104: Post by ttttt91 »

ira wrote:Visually, it would appear that like the Monolith, the Stance has inherently perfect alignment, i.e., it's not adjustable and the design in theory, insures perfection.

Ira
Can you share pictures which are underlying your statement please? Hard to follow otherwise your conclusion

ttttt91

#105: Post by ttttt91 »

ds wrote:There is really no need to personally attack @mivanitsky who is valuable contributor to the forums. I think you don't really understand what non-inferior means. By definition, a non-inferiority means that the test product is not worse than the comparator by more than a small pre-specified amount.

As someone who works in manufacturing world I can tell you there is no secret in making pretty much anything, problem is actually doing it in production. Stance is made in China, its an outsourced production so we don't know how good and consistent quality control will be.

The exit chute on Stance for sure will be revised, there is no sweeper. HG-1 has exact same design and first versions did not have any sweeper which was quickly corrected and sweeper was added on. Also, the grind adjustment mechanism locking looks to be spring based which is in my mind inferior to mechanisms which hard locks the burrs, so there is also a question on how that will hold up...
Apologies to Mike if my style came across as rude. Reading this thread again
a) I may really wrote in a too harsh style
b) I appreciate the wealth of information by Mike, DS, Sam and others

no harm, no foul?

(and I am reading HB since June...yes, a newbie, but not AS fresh as it seems ;-))

jonathonhagerty

#106: Post by jonathonhagerty »

You can make it up to him by sending a few bags of coffee.

ttttt91

#107: Post by ttttt91 replying to jonathonhagerty »

;-)...

Everybody is welcome to have a coffee in my house in Dallas, TX. Waiting for a DE1Pro and the Stance...

Also, got an answer from Helor today regarding alignment:

"As for your questions, yes we do have some simple procedures for you to check the alignment, depending on your comfort level and access to tools. For most customers, the most effective way is by checking the distance of the burrs rubbing/locking point (zero) to your espresso setting. A well aligned grinder should have at least one revolution distance between the zero and your espresso setting. Another test that could be performed is just by doing a visual check. You can tighten the grind setting so that the burrs are close to each other (close to zero point), and then have the motor running. If the burrs are aligned, you will see that the burrs are rotating evenly and centred to each other - and if they are not, it will be noticeable easily. If you have tools and the technical background, dial indicators can also be mounted onto the grinder to measure but that is slightly more involved.

However, out of the box, you should not need to perform any of these, as the alignment is ensured by our design and our tight manufacturing tolerance. The grinder is designed such that the alignment is ensured by built/design, and you don't have to perform manual alignment as some grinders need which could take hours and a minimum level of expertise.

Yes, we do have QC in place at the factory to check the alignment. We will ensure all critical parts are machined to within a tolerance of 0.02 mm. We will also perform a final check after assembly to ensure everything is as it should, and that you will receive the grinder in a working condition as it should.

Hope that clarifies a bit. And thanks again for your support!"

JohnW

#108: Post by JohnW »

speedplay wrote:I was informed that the grinder will include a spray bottle for RDT and possibly a WDT tool too!
Glad you mentioned that as a possibility. I will hold off buying these items until after delivery of the grinder. if they show up in the box, it will be a nice little early Xmas present.

ttttt91

#109: Post by ttttt91 »

Just bought this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Franmara-D ... m570.l1313

and when Helor sends an spray, I have a good tool to make a nice martini....lol

oButto

#110: Post by oButto »

Tempted to sell my K10 for this but not sure if single dosing convenience is worth $1000 :?