Helor Flux (Helor 106): A review after 6 months of ownership. - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Rabh

#21: Post by Rabh »

Good to see the Helor is available to order again. I'm somewhat tempted by this, to replace my Comandante (and Cafelat Robot combo), though minor concerns about the ownership situation. Looks like there was some kind of merger with https://www.option-o.com, who took on their name? Leaves the question, who/what the company at https://www.helor.com, in China, are?

Anybody further in the know?

Thanks

mdmvrockford

#22: Post by mdmvrockford »

[quote="Rabh"]....Looks like there was some kind of merger with https://www.option-o.com, who took on their name? Leaves the question, who/what the company at https://www.helor.com, in China, are?....Anybody further in the know?[/quote]
From looking through helor.com website and within the "About" section there is "Special Statement" that has information that answers your question.

If you do end up getting the Helor 106 (Flux) then please post your review/thoughts. There is not a lot of information about it (vs. Niche Zero, Monolith Conicals). And yes I am well aware that is due these factors: it's a hand grinder, its availability, size and cost.
LMWDP #568

fliz (original poster)

#23: Post by fliz (original poster) »

So shortly after reading someone else's experience of need for RDT I started getting it too. A few months later and its gone again confirming what the website now says about it being a seasonal issue.

As to the confusion about the company and option-o, my understanding is that the situation is similar to Lyn and Weber. A previous collaboration dissolved and they went their separate ways. Now there's a small overlap in product offerings as they continue to diverge from each other.

Rabh

#24: Post by Rabh »

@bakafish interesting to see you've replaced your Mazzer 186c with a Gorilla Gear - can I ask how you did that? Is it relatively easy to swap over? I can see how to remove the inner burr, which I've done for cleaning, but not as sure about the outer and/or whether it is as easy to get everything aligned, if I did remove it.

Thanks!
bakafish wrote:Side by side, 1789 grams with the Gorilla Gear burrs, 500 grams heavier than my Rosco.

The original Helor 106 is with the Mazzer 186C burrs and has the dots on the inner burr.

I use the Gorilla Gear burrs so there is not any mark. But it is not a problem to me as I only use it for espresso and had ever used the first version of OE Pharos. The only inconvenience is I have to clean the bottom after use due to the space between the inner burr and the grinder body is too small so that some coffee grounds stick there. It's a compromise of size and weight.

The coffee grounds are always fluffy, never clumpy, very easy to prepare for espresso. Recently I found something interesting. I use 17g beans for espresso with Rossa PG. When I threw 17g beans in and ground all the beans, it took 45 seconds to pull 51g espresso. When I threw 25g beans in, ground and purged the initial 5g, and then turned the handle 70 rotations (the handle 4 rotations as the inner burr 1 rotation) to grind 17g out (3g remained in the grinder), it took 80 seconds to pull 51g espresso.

You can also use it this way. :D
Just remove the handle, not the cap.

bakafish

#25: Post by bakafish »

Rabh wrote:@bakafish interesting to see you've replaced your Mazzer 186c with a Gorilla Gear - can I ask how you did that? Is it relatively easy to swap over? I can see how to remove the inner burr, which I've done for cleaning, but not as sure about the outer and/or whether it is as easy to get everything aligned, if I did remove it.

Thanks!
It is very easy to swap the burrs, just need to take out the 3 screws as below and you can remove the outer burr.

It is not that easy to align the outer burr. The easiest way is using the inner burr to lock the outer burr and then tighten the 3 screws, but you have to gradually lock the burrs, not straight down. I dialed the inner burr to slightly rub the outer burr, and then rotated the shaft or handle to use the inner burr to push the outer burr, slightly tighten the screws, dialed to finer and finer, repeat these steps to fully locked and tightened the screws.

I don't think this method can get the very precise alignment, but good enough.

Ad-85

#26: Post by Ad-85 »

How to align helor 106 ? A guide on aligning helor 106 - helor 106 alignment

Helor 106 can easily adjust the concentricity of the inner and outer burr.
First, remove the powder cup and loosen the three screws fixing the outer burr one turn.
Then install the handle, hold and fix the handle and the body, and prevent the center axis from rotating.
Turn the adjusting knob clockwise until the inner burr abuts the outer burr. At this time, the outer burr depends on the inner burr to reach a concentric position.
Finally, tighten the three screws that fix the outer burr step by step, and then you can adjust the thickness and use it.

This guide was written by the maker of helor 106
Mr. Yong
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

bakafish

#27: Post by bakafish replying to Ad-85 »

Unfortunately, this method is not good, as I mentioned above.

Rabh

#28: Post by Rabh »

@bakafish can I ask how you get the drill attachment to work with the Helor 106? I have removed the screw that I have marked in red on the attached photo, but I can't seem to take off the top of the grinder, to use it. Helor said "After removing the screw at the base of the bending rod, pull the bending rod assembly", but it wont shift.

I'm not sure if there's another screw I'm missing? I've gone back to Helor today, just awaiting their reply.

bakafish

#29: Post by bakafish replying to Rabh »

Yes, it is the only screw. After removing the screw, the crank with the top small cap should be easily to be pulled up.

Pull this:

Rabh

#30: Post by Rabh replying to bakafish »

Many thanks @bakafish, you gave me the confidence to give it a real pull, and it came off.

I don't mind the hand grinding at all, but wanted to give this a quick try in case I got inundated with guests some day. For day to day though, I'll stick with the hand crank.