The Helor Flux Grinder Review - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#61: Post by mdmvrockford » Apr 15, 2019, 9:47 am

davidhunternyc wrote:I've been following this thread with great interest. For the last 5 years I've been using the Rosco Mini Mill by Portaspresso. I use it for my French Press and for my Cafelat Robot. I am always wondering what else is out there, however. Is there an upgrade? Is the Helor Flux a better hand grinder than the Rosco Mini Mill? As much as I like the Mini Mill I don't know much about grinder engineering and I want to learn more hand grinders. It looks to me like the Helor Flux might be the best hand grinder available today.

... I do like the idea that I read about a beaded steel body instead of a rubber hand grip. It would look like a pure machine. Also, did Helor work on the squeaking issue with the wooden knob?
"davidhunternyc"
(a) no squeaks and if any as TomC and others mentioned it is easily remedied

(b) IMO I have yet to find a hand grinder that outperforms it (in the cup and ergonomically). I found no in the cup difference vs. OE Pharos version 1.1.
This opinion mirror by another senior H-B.com forum member who told me their cupping challenge between Mahlgut hand grinder (for those not familiar think factory Pharos V 2.0 or full voodoodaddy Pharos v1.0 or v1.1) and Robur single phase were a draw (i.e. undetectable).
This assumes you have strength to hold ~ 2.2kg comfortably. If you can grasp the Helor 101 then no problem with Helor 106. The outer diameter of Flux (106) is (by feel same as Helor 101). My 14 y/o dtr (petite stature and hands) has no problem grasping either. BUT she does not like holding the Flux due to weight. Also she likes Charbucks product anyway (don't get me started on that...). My travel espresso maker will be a Portaspresso. So its fraternal twin Helor Flux (106) is great match. Also for my other hobbies I prefer hefty items in hand (e.g. I have 8 oz automatic watch on my left wrist as I am typing this post and my main ballpoint pen is ~3 oz solid metal). As mentioned in other thread with uri below, I tend to buy things to last multiple generations.

(c) IMO, it is the reference "portable" hand grinder to which others are be judged against: alignment and has Mazzer 71mm single phase burr and ergonomics. At recent Chicago-Milwaukee get together I hosted, two other senior H-B.com forum members both really liked the Helor Flux(106). Both own Titan grinders (e.g. Kafetex Monolith Conicals and Monolith Flats) and high quality hand grinders (e.g. Portaspresso, OE Lido, Mahlgut, Bplus Apollo ).

(d) You can replace the rubber grip with thin adhesive-backed tennis-racquet grip when the OEM rubber ones wear out. I think beaded steel body look cool but would tear into soft skin too much (at least for me).

Helor Flux (106) short review and owners thread
LMWDP #568

danetrainer

#62: Post by danetrainer » Apr 15, 2019, 10:30 am

Thought I'd post pics of the internals since I was rebuilding one for Mivanitsky, he had bought it used, and although it hadn't suffered at all for grind consistency I noticed the shaft was binding. Fearing the ceramic bearings had failed I disassembled and found they were in fact ok, just believe at some point the bearing lock nuts had been miss- adjusted causing the shaft to not rotate freely.
I would recommend not to disassemble this grinder unless you have a very high skill set with its design and sensitivity to bearing pre-load.
There really is no need to attempt this unless an issue like Mike had. All that is needed for deep cleaning is removing the bottom grind adjustment nut and the inner burr slides right out.

davidhunternyc

#63: Post by davidhunternyc » Apr 15, 2019, 11:26 am

mdmvrockford - Thank you for your comments. They're really helpful. Have you or anyone else you know ever used a Rosco Mill? How does it compare to this grinder? Also, I just weighed my Rosco Mini Mill. It's 1.1kg and the Helor Flux is 2.2kg! Wow. My Rosco Mini Mill is thick solid brass too.

danetrainer

#64: Post by danetrainer » Apr 15, 2019, 11:51 am

I've used a Rosco Mini, I had trouble holding on to it while grinding with light roasts, the consistency of grind was on par with the better small burr mills. I have a new Kinu traveler which is my choice for a portable hand mill.

mdmvrockford
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by mdmvrockford » Apr 16, 2019, 5:42 am

davidhunternyc wrote:mdmvrockford - Thank you for your comments. They're really helpful. Have you or anyone else you know ever used a Rosco Mill? How does it compare to this grinder? Also, I just weighed my Rosco Mini Mill. It's 1.1kg and the Helor Flux is 2.2kg! Wow. My Rosco Mini Mill is thick solid brass too.
W.R.T. in the cup differences, this thread is helpful.Does burr size make a difference in taste?

Though I own the Helor 101 espresso burr set, I only use the regular burr for my brew coffee so the former espresso burrs are not broken in for comparison to Helor Flux/106. I mention this because I read the Rosco grinder has similar burret as Helor 101. I briefly used Rosco grinder in past before owning the Helor Flux/106. And I really liked the Rosco. But I could not justify spending that much on handgrinder with burr that small (not saying anything bad about Rosco performance). But like Texas, bigger burrs must be better right? :wink:
LMWDP #568