The Helor Flux Grinder Review - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sternalot

#31: Post by sternalot »

Update: I just received my Helor Flux last night and dialed it in this morning.

Early thoughts:
- Build quality is A+.
- This thing is HEAVY. While it is easy to crank, the weight makes it quite a chore. I probably would have preferred the Helor Stance for this reason, if I had the counter space.
- Grinding takes a long time due to gear reduction.
- Helor includes a bit for using a cordless drill. I'll probably try this tomorrow.

Dialing in was pretty easy, but 1 rotation was not nearly enough. I am at at ~2.20 from zero with CC Hologram. This was 18g in, 36g out in 30 seconds exactly on Breville Oracle (please go easy on me for my machine). Grinds are [visually] WAY more consistent than the stock grinder puts out, though not a huge surprise there. The results in the cup were also noticeable. This morning I pulled a slightly under extracted cup, but it still seemed more rounded than things the Breville can put out. When I did get to the right setting, the results were excellent.

Overall, I am very happy at the moment, and believe the Flux will serve me very well for a long time.

wachuko

#32: Post by wachuko »

max wrote:Thanks for sharing! Being a big fan of Helor, I've been wondering about this grinder for quite a while.

Some 101's suffer from this as well. I just loosened the screw and added the tiniest amount of lube (had OE lever pin lube at home) on the axle. Not only is it quiet, but the feel of grinding is considerably improved.
Candle wax works perfectly. That is what I used for mine (Helor 101).
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

ALfromtheLAND

#33: Post by ALfromtheLAND »

I just ordered a flux, looking to replace my Pharos with something a little more convenient and be able to have a dialed in grinder to take from home to work. I appreciate the reviews of the few that have used it, Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive.

purpledad

#34: Post by purpledad »

How is the flux holding up a few months in?

Someone on Reddit told me that they were having consistency issues after about a month.

animus128

#35: Post by animus128 »

Mine is working like on the first day. I have a hard time saying, if there changed anything in the grind due to to the burrs getting broken in. However I am pretty sure, that consistency is not getting worse.

(Just to note, mine is now basically half a year in use)

espressoking

#36: Post by espressoking »

purpledad wrote:How is the flux holding up a few months in?

Someone on Reddit told me that they were having consistency issues after about a month.
What exactly do you mean with "consistency" issues? How long did they season the burrs? And who is they? (Users or Helor)

I am still very happy and taste wise I got some really great shots after superb grind results.

The only "issues":
From time to time - depending on the beans (size) - I have a little noise in the grinder which might be a bean that gets somehow caught in the grinder and makes a noise when turning upside down and back. Typically this is solved after using other beans.
Sometimes I get different brew ratios as a result without changing anything. However, this can be related to significant weather changes (humidity ...) etc. as well.

So all in all, super happy.

purpledad

#37: Post by purpledad replying to espressoking »

It was one person on Reddit who was selling a pharos after buying the flux. I asked how it compared, and he gave me a vague statement about it not being as consistent after a few months.

ALfromtheLAND

#38: Post by ALfromtheLAND »

Mine has been consistent and with no noises. Been using it daily for a few months. As noted once you find the right grind setting mine has held with no show of change unless I made the changes. But honestly I barely even change the setting moving from bean to bean and I get good pours from it. I'm using a manual lever so can adjust slightly and I typically use similary roasted beans. I believe my Pharos took longer to season the burrs and during that time I got a lot of channeling. The flux pulled better shots during the break in period. I will try to post a video using the grinder sometime soon

animus128

#39: Post by animus128 »

I think I am currently experiencing the burrs getting fully broken in. I used the the 106 for a little more than half a year now (probably around 7kg of coffee) and it seems that I have to adjust finer now and grinding 16g of coffee takes consistently less than 30 seconds (I use a Strietman CT1, so maybe I grind a bit coarser then for a pump machine). For some reason the change seemed a little abrupt. During the first 5 month or so, it did not feel like anything changed, but in the last month I significantly had to adjust my grind to the finer side.

ALfromtheLAND

#40: Post by ALfromtheLAND »

16.5 grams espresso blend, RDT but no WDT.
Shot did get some channeling and was slightly short in weight