The Helor Flux Grinder Review - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
animus128

#11: Post by animus128 » Mar 02, 2018, 8:17 pm

I guess you are right, it depends on what you compare it to! For me it was the comparison to the HG One and Kinu M68, especially because they bascially use the same burr set. Compared to them the price is great. Of course though, you also have to take into account how to import the grinders, which can drastically change the decision.

However, my biggest reason for buying the 106 was, that it is the only non "stand" handgrinder, that uses the bigger burr sets like the one of the Robur. So far, it is pairing wonderfully with my CT1 for espresso. The Lido stays for v60 though.

opother

#12: Post by opother » Mar 02, 2018, 10:43 pm

treq10 wrote:Thanks, Tom for the review. I've been waiting a while to hear about how this grinder works.

I have to say, $950 for a hand espresso grinder is kinda hard to swallow. Why not just buy a used Mazzer SJ or Mini and get SSP burrs for a similar price?

If it's about travel, 2 kilo hand grinder for espresso is hardly something to take around on long trips...

I don't really get the value of this thing, even if it's beautiful to look at and sturdily built...For me, hand grinding was always about the price to value ratio given that you're only making a few cups of coffee for personal use or for travel. It'd be interesting to see the grind quality data on the burrs down the road. ~50s for 20g dose and difficulty of dialing in sounds...less than optimal. Just my 2cents.
I have a SJ at work that is used for drip. It is a great grinder with a few setbacks for home users and this is my experience. The Super Jolly is heavier (31 lbs,) has a big ass foot print and needs to be plugged in (requiring electricity is not big deal to most people but worth mentioning.) I don't like the Mini it is also designed as a coffee shop grinder.

This hand grinder may be heavy but it seems to me to still be portable. A Mazzer Mini (22.5 lbs), SJ, or Titan sized Major (44 lbs) or Robur (62 lbs) certainly is not.

With the Super Jolly grind retention although not that much has always been a bitch for me to deal with when using this grinder for low volume espresso use. forget about the Robur or Major.

With the Super Jolly grind quality is compromised when you run it without a significant amount of beans in the hopper the same goes for the Mini, Robur, Major and other brands of grinders that use these type of designs. Using some sort of weight to weigh down your single dose helps but in my opinion really is not as good as having a full hopper so it didn't quite cut it for me.

With my Super Jolly I had to jump through hoops to keep my shots from channeling when single dosing but when the doser was full of grounds and used the way it was designed the action of dosing broke up and distributed the grounds in such a way that channeling was much easier to avoid. Oh and you do need a lot of beans in the hopper to grind when you fill up the doser whatever. These were made to be used in a busy shop period there is no 2 ways about it and that is how they function best.

Dialing in shop grinders like my super Jolly is obviously easier when single dosing but I still find it to be a bitch because I have to clean out chute and doser in between adjustments when used as a busy shop grinder it must be a super bitch.

I think this is a great hand grinder and 4 or 5 pounds is fine for travel. It's profile is certainly compact, all stainless is something I like for durability and keeping clean. The large high quality burrs should produce beautiful grinds without the sloppiness and problems of using a shop grinder at home for single dosing. forget about travel with those other large (I did say large) heavy grinders that need to be plugged in.

That gear reduction mechanism is something I like but the trade off like when peddling a bike in low gear is more rotations to get the work done. This is fine with me and a low price to pay for having the use of these great burrs. 50 seconds is not big deal to me either.

I have the Pharos and I am not wimpy about finding a grip somewhere on it and cranking hard however I have always said the Pharos isn't going to cut it if you have arthritis or lack the muscle to do it. With light beans I really have fun. The bench dogs solve this problem for the most part but at the cost of mounting it. This gear reduction system is in my view something that was long needed and I commend and thank Helor for making it.

I also like the fact that this design is not a knockoff of another grinder. Ever since OE had to courage to bring quality hand grinders to market (thank you OE) every other company this way and that has jumped on the band wagon with overpriced knock offs.

Pharos is still king of the poor mans low priced high quality hand grinder with mostly non proprietary parts that are easy to fix and and maintain. I still use it.

That being said I think this new gear reduction grinder is well worth it's asking price at not much more than a big, heavy, sloppy grinder like a Mazzer Mini ($700.00) and certainly less expensive than the massive sized heavy $2700.00 to $3000.00 Robur that uses 71mm burrs.

Finally my Pharos makes better grinds than my Super Jolly hands down and I suspect any other properly aligned grinder that uses quality 71 mm conical burrs would.

Javier

#13: Post by Javier » Mar 02, 2018, 10:51 pm

samuellaw178 wrote:Thanks Tom for the review! Curious if taste testing comparison is in the card, or if that's too tedious? :P
Great review Tom!!! And I second what Sam said (i.e., taste tasting comparison).

EDIT to ask - any issues with misalignment?
LMWDP #115

samuellaw178
Team HB

#14: Post by samuellaw178 » Mar 02, 2018, 10:55 pm

By the way, the gear reduction makes it an interesting candidate for using a quality portable electric drill, without needing a beastly motor like what's on the Robur, that is if the hand grinding becomes a chore... :P

opother

#15: Post by opother » Mar 02, 2018, 11:33 pm

I forgot to ask will this grinder adjust coarse enough for Rocky Road press if someone wants to just because ?

TomC
Team HB

#16: Post by TomC » Mar 03, 2018, 12:52 am

Javier wrote:Great review Tom!!! And I second what Sam said (i.e., taste tasting comparison).

EDIT to ask - any issues with misalignment?
No noticeable misalignment and everything's so solid, there's no wobble or slop anywhere. It seems somewhat pointless to compare it to my HG-1, since it's the exact same burr, but the HG-1 is properly broken in. The Flux is still essentially in almost new condition and would need a lot more ground thru it to see how the burrs settle in. My MonoCon edges it out slightly and that might be to the fact that those burrs are properly broken in too. But the differences are extremely minute and probably not a big deal.

TomC
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC » Mar 03, 2018, 12:53 am

opother wrote:I forgot to ask will this grinder adjust coarse enough for Rocky Road press if someone wants to just because ?
I don't know what Rocky Road press is, but it'll grind plenty coarse for french press. But I personally don't grind coarse for press coffee. YMMV.

animus128

#18: Post by animus128 » Mar 03, 2018, 2:22 am

Concerning the gear reduction, here are some pictures that show how it is nicely build into the handle. Disclaimer: Those are not my pictures, they are from one user out of the Helor WeChat group.
ImageImageImage

wkmok1

#19: Post by wkmok1 » Mar 03, 2018, 12:58 pm

Animus128, can you please explain why you do not like "stand" grinders? Thanks.
Winston

animus128

#20: Post by animus128 » replying to wkmok1 » Mar 03, 2018, 1:56 pm

Well there is not much about it besides personal preference. For me it is not good ergonomically if the grinder is fixed at a certain height and you have to turn the handle vertically instead of horizontally. Additionally, all the standing grinders have quite a big footprint.