Hand grinder- Timemore Chestnut X

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
wlpp

#1: Post by wlpp »

This is my first hand grinder and I have owned this grinder for about a month.

I've used it to make pour over with different drippers like V60, Timemore crystal eye, origami, hario switch. I also pair it with flair pro and brevielle express to make espresso. Overall I like the taste from it and the second level adjustment is very handy.

Feel free to ask questions or add your experiences if you own one of these. I'll plan to add updates over time as well.

Yan

#2: Post by Yan »

Any major difference vs the c40 in the cups?
The X using their new S2C Burr, interesting to see the difference/improvement results between the new Burr and the G1 Brew Burr in the cup...

wlpp (original poster)

#3: Post by wlpp (original poster) »

I'm still waiting for my C40 to arrive. But from the reviews I found, there won't be major differences on taste. It will just be different styles of taste.Will update later with a short taste comparison.

Compared to G1, I believe X generates less fine than G1. But it grinds a little slower than G1 too. It's based on my use experience and what I heard from G1 owners. Since I don't own G1, Can't offer any taste difference here. But you can find a comparison here if you know Chinese.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NThAkRffqJA

Yan

#4: Post by Yan »

wlpp wrote:Will update later with a short taste comparisons
Thanks...

wlpp (original poster)

#5: Post by wlpp (original poster) »

wlpp (original poster)

#6: Post by wlpp (original poster) »

After owning the C40 with red clix for a few days, here are my initial thoughts on taste from these two grinders.
First of all, they are on the same level to me on general taste feeling. They both give you wonderful taste details about the coffee. You can feel the acidity, body, sweetness and aroma in every sip. And you'll clearly notice the balance change as temperature changes.
The difference is how these grinder balance these taste.
C40: Very balanced taste. The acidity, sweetness and aroma are wrapped in body. It gives me the safe feeling that I'm getting a good coffee.
Chestnut X: Taste feels more wild compared to C40. You'll feel the fruit and aroma first, then the body. It will surprise me with unexpected great coffee sometimes. Sometimes it could be a little too much.

Hope it helps!

Yan

#7: Post by Yan »

Interesting when I compare my C40 to my sister's Chestnut G1, the G1 tends to emphasize on the sweetness side less balance and clarity compare to C40 side by side.
Maybe the new burr in the X series have a better performance.

Thanks for the comparisons...

Espresso_Monkey

#8: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

I'd love to hear further comparisons between the Timemore and Comandante!

I'm in the market for a nice hand-grinder dedicated for pour-over.
The Chestnut G1 is significantly cheaper than a C40...like less than 50%...

Espresso_Monkey

#9: Post by Espresso_Monkey replying to Espresso_Monkey »

Silly me...the Chestnut X is a different beast altogether :oops: