Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
peacecup (original poster)

#31: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

BTW, I have done a little snooping re: Sherlock Holmes societies, etc., after reading Barring-Gould's annotated Holmes. He provides a lot of background on the Baker Street Irregulars, etc. and their Journal, which I have yet to subscribe to:

http://www.bakerstreetjournal.com/

Well, have to run - the game is afoot...

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

#32: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

The current line-up:

Stage left:

Stage right:

Cheers,

PC
LMWDP #049

Fullsack

#33: Post by Fullsack »

Beautiful collection Jack!
peacecup wrote:Doug, I hope you'll post a few details and photos of your hand grinders here when you can.
PC
When I get home, I'll post some pictures. I'll still living in company housing with only their PV Lusso and a Macap to keep me caffeinated.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

mogogear

#34: Post by mogogear »

Where are you Doug?

And Jack,
I may have been asleep - but Congratulations on the new coming family member! Your daughter will make a fine "big sister" to somebody..! I am glad someone else in the world decided to have a really good surprise at birth time by not knowing exactly who was scheduled.. :wink: We did the same and it sure made the moment extra special.

later
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#35: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

If I could only convince the University of Alaska to purchase a Lussso....

Actually, if I ever get some lab space of my own I hope to install a small single group commerical machine - I like that Conti group that has a direct linkage for increasing the pressure on the shot if needed. I watched a one group brass Conti "espresso " maker go for ~$500, but now is not the time.

Yes, we're looking forward to another barista in the family come November,

PC
LMWDP #049

Fullsack

#36: Post by Fullsack »

I dropped by my construction torn house, grabbed a Zass 154 and brought it to the company condo, to see how its performance would stack up against the Macap paired with the PV Lusso. The first thing I noticed, was that the 6 grams from the Zass took up about 30% more room in the single basket, (more fluff). I've been using the Macap, Lusso combination for a few weeks and thought I had it pretty well dialed in. The first Zass, Lusso shot was a dead bang winner, almost a godshot. The Macap shots from the previous 3 weeks, paled by comparison.

There is not much margin for error in a 6 gram single shot from a lever machine. Jim's tests are all wonderful, but they are not telling the entire story.

another_jim wrote: Detailed Scores
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grinder  Dose  Shot ExtG  ExtR  CPer  CApp  Flav  Body   Swee  Acid  Bitr  Total
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pede     16.5  1.1   21.4 20.2    0     1    -0.5  -0.5   -1     1     0    -3
Pede     16.5  1.1   19.0 21.4    0     0    -0.5   0      0     0     0    -2
Pede     13.5  1.1   21.3 21.3    0     1    -1.5   0     -1.5   0.5   1    -5
Pede     13.5  1.1   21.3 20.6    0    -1    -0.5   0     -0.5  -0.5  -0.5  -3
To quote Jack, "Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down..""
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Randy G.

#37: Post by Randy G. »

Ahh... But have you been to 221b Baker St.?

Don't be too impressed- it's a big office building now. :cry:
Have read the complete Holmes collection twice, and it's about time to go for a third..
Remember "The Adventure of the Final Problem"? I have hiked from the bottom to the top of Reichenbach Falls. I do mean hiked as it was off-season and the funicular was closed (wouldn't have taken it anyway). When we motorcycle-toured Europe it was one of the places on our list that was a must stop.

And just to stay on the subject:

I find the top too flimsy which allows the shaft to rock a bit causing difficulty for espresso use, but for other methods it works OK.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

SJM

#38: Post by SJM »

peacecup wrote:Susan was kind enough to post a photo of here Kugenthal burrs on the "hand grinder" thread:

<image>

Compare these to the PeDe burrs from page one of this thread:

<image>

Not exactly the same are they? Not sure what this means, but the PeDe burrs appear to have a longer path and a different tooth pattern. Very interesting....
I am curious what the difference in those two burr sets DOES mean? If I were to mail the Kugenthal to you would you be interested in checking it out next to that PeDe? (I'd pay postage both ways if you wanna do the comparison checking). It would be fun to know how it compares to your beauties.

I remember a post from Jim S recently explaining (and please excuse me if I have understood this improperly) that the burrs don't actually rely on the sharpness of their edges, but that rather more on the precision with which the grounds are passed from the rougher to the finer cuts and finally to where the flat surfaces come together. (And that brings to mind the huge old stone mill wheels that you still see next to rivers along the East Coast where they ground flour....stone ground...)

Susan

prof_stack

#39: Post by prof_stack »

The good wife spotted a hand grinder at a yard sale today. $10 for this:

It appears to be an Asian knockoff of an Italian roller mill. The burrs look to be cast rather than machined. The step adjuster at top is maxed out but the grind is suitable for a French press or filter drip. No way espresso. The hopper holds maybe 25 grams.

Still, it grinds very quickly with nice new sharp blades.

Here is this grinder with my current two espresso grinders:

The Trosser on the right is my newest and perhaps oldest. Nice consistent grinds.
LMWDP #010

mogogear

#40: Post by mogogear »

Prof-- you are like the Energizer Bunny you just keep going and going...

I grabbed a couple of new grinders this week too!

A De Ve that I will add a comparison shot after I have restored her...the nice copper top cleaned up beautifully!

and a Dienes Mokka - same - I will clean her up and add a new coat of varnish

Jack and Norm - I am getting ready for the Tight Hand Grinder comparison... these with my Lenhartz and Turkish mill VS/ the Nuova Simonelli and the Mazzer Super Jolly modded doserless....it could get bloody........ :twisted:

Hey Norman!- I am scheduled to be in Seattle near you this week and staying by the Seattle Center on Wed night..... drop me a line with your phone again and maybe we can grab a beer or "just" an espresso where we all met last time down the hill from your house. Hal Perry if you are around the same invite goes out to you and Dr. Jim.....
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067