Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 145

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TomC
Team HB

#1441: Post by TomC »

Farm, those salt and pepper grinders are envy inducing! I gotta say this is one of my all time favorite threads too.

scontri

#1442: Post by scontri »

Hi,
I got recently a beautiful Zassenhaus Nr. 496 'Zasso' with newer version of grinding mechanism (comparing to the 1st version - all steel elements, exactly the same as in the Nr. 498 Rosel). I managed to restore the cherry wood box, but now I'm having some problems with burrs alignment in the grinding mechanism. Turning the upper adjustment knob raises/lowers the ultimate edge of the burr mounting strap while the opposite strap edge remains in the same position causing slope/horizontal movement of the inner burr as it is practically inflexibly connected with the strap. The bearing between inner burr and mounting strap consist only of a rounded bolt with 2 gaskets. It seems that there are no parts (like bearing ball) missing in there - at least according to the old-coffee-grinders.com website:

https://www.old-coffee-grinders.com/s/c ... 1470480525

Does anyone have experience with that model and can help me? The burrs themselves are in very good condition and it would be a shame to have a Zasso without being able to make a proper use of it :roll:

Zasso before:

Zasso after:

grog

#1443: Post by grog »

Some of these old box grinders had a ball bearing in between the lower burr strap and some did not. I've worked on a few that had the bearing but it was so imbedded up in the lower burr, in old coffee oils and such, that it only came out after I soaked the burr assembly in Joe Glo.

I've experimented with adding ball bearings to grinders that lacked it, to see if I could improve it's ability to grind finer, with mixed results. It worked well on a couple of grinders, had no effect with a couple, and with a few I couldn't make it work or it made the fine grinding range worse / more limited.
LMWDP #514

peacecup

#1444: Post by peacecup »

Yes, I've had a couple without ball bearings and they would not grind fine enough for espresso. Too bad, but still very nice for other brew methods.

I've had one of my original Dienes grinders out a lot lately and I find that even after 10 years it still produces really excellent espresso. So when you get a vintage hand grinder that does grind fine enough they are a real treasure.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

scontri

#1445: Post by scontri »

Thanks for your answers! There's definitely enough space in the burr bottom hole to fit a ball bearing above the bolt head. So in the next step I will try to find a proper ball bearing.

jeffreylam98

#1446: Post by jeffreylam98 »

Will these hand/manual grinders produce inconsistent shot flow, 4 second up or down ? Because the turnings were not smooth ?

DucaiMann
Supporter ★

#1447: Post by DucaiMann »

I found this little guy on the web and was incredibly curious as to what it could be so I bought it. It also came with an old Peugeot Freres that may never be useable, but it is cool!

I have never seen a grinder with a pig on it, so naturally I had to see how easily the sticker might come off...

I have never had a Trosser grinder but it looks like it has never had any coffee run through it. I'll clean it up and see what sort of results I can get!

TomC
Team HB

#1448: Post by TomC »

Must be one of them new fangled "Trotter" grinders :mrgreen:

renburanto

#1449: Post by renburanto »

Does anyone know what brand this grinder is? Found it on a local Dutch website and can pick it up cheaply nearby.

Would be interesting to know the brand.

renburanto

#1450: Post by renburanto »

Finally bought some grinders, a KYM, Pe De, and 2 Zassenhaus grinders. They will need some work but hopefully one of them will grind for espresso on the Pavoni.

Especially happy with the Zassenhaus with the open top, even though there is some paint spilt on it. Can't make out the number on the bottom of the Kym very well, looks like 9315.