Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 144

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
civ

#1431: Post by civ »

Hello:
yakster wrote:Manual Mazzer doser or grinder?
A couple of things lead me say it is, without doubt, a grinder.

Check the adjustment ring with the locking nut right below the glass hopper.

Then the small round bakelite knob at the end of the on/off switch.

And there's the really huge brass cylinder housing the motor.
What I do think we have here is a really unique doser.

Note to Dan:
Not relating to a hand grinder, maybe these posts should be moved to the 'Grinders' (i.e.: another thread) forum?
It would be interesting to know what grinder this is.

Cheers,
CIV

peacecup (original poster)

#1432: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Nice work on the restoration of the MKH. A tribute to the craftsmen who made it.

I've been enjoying great shots from the vintage grinders lately!
PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Coffeecritter

#1433: Post by Coffeecritter »

Well done!!!
Life's too short to live in Dallas!

LMWDP #157

Alef

#1434: Post by Alef »

Thank you! By the way, I once asked about the Peugeot.

Need help with restoration of "Peugeot Freres" grinder

So,I've done it. Yes, it is not 100% original, but I really love this coffee grinder, and with pleasure use it every day :-)

CoffeeBar

#1435: Post by CoffeeBar »

peacecup wrote:I've been wanting to post some "bench" photos of the ultimate lever machine companion grinder- an old German hand grinder. These conical burr grinders are so simple and elegant, and they compliment the process of hand-brewing espresso. The mechanics are so straightforward that the photos speak for themselves. So here are a few pics - please feel free to ask questions.
Thank you peacecup for this great thread.I've joined HB since 2014, but just discovered this great thread, But Wow, 144 pages, got to spend few days to read through it. LOL :lol:

Thank you Jack

Ray Settanta

#1436: Post by Ray Settanta »

Nice work! You did a great job.

leon

#1437: Post by leon »

Visiting my parents in Austin, and my dad pulled out this old coffee grinder and coffee pot that have been in the family for a long time. The grinder was brought my grandfather when he left Syria in the 1940s, so that makes it at least 70 years old. It's quite dirty, and has some corrosion, but the burrs still look good and spin freely.

farmroast

#1438: Post by farmroast »

Finally found a nice vintage set of Peter Dienes PeDe Salt shaker and Pepper Grinder! 50s-60s? Quality burrs like used in his coffee mills. Decided to sand them down to 2000 grit to bring out the grain.
Behind are 2 Dienes coffee mills from my collection.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

peacecup (original poster)

#1439: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Nice, I've always wanted a set too. They look great in front of a couple classics.

A lot has changed in the almost 10 years since this thread began. Vintage grinder prices have gone through the roof, so now they often cost as much as some of the new precision hand grinders. Even if the vintage grinders can sometimes match the quality of the new ones, they are no longer the low-cost alternative to a new burr grinder. I still have a vintage PeDe as a daily driver at the office, but updated to a hausgrind for the home a few years ago.

Oh well, I guess the vintage grinders inspired more than one of the current precision hand grinder people, so they've done a good turn (pun intended). One of the unique and hopeful aspects of being human is our cultural evolution - the passing on of generational knowledge. On the big scale we hope such cultural progress can help us avoid mistakes of the past (current political regress notwithstanding). In our own small espresso world cultural evolution is seen at every turn, from bean to cup. Fair trade, organic, shade-grown coffee > generational knowledge in blending and roasting, and return to vintage design concepts for espresso equipment.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

farmroast

#1440: Post by farmroast »

peacecup wrote:
Oh well, I guess the vintage grinders inspired more than one of the current precision hand grinder people, so they've done a good turn (pun intended). One of the unique and hopeful aspects of being human is our cultural evolution - the passing on of generational knowledge.

PC
yes PC, what fun it was learning from past efforts in box mills and levers. Inspiring a whole new generation of both. I still enjoy going through this thread as I do the lever gallery.
farm
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"