Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
peacecup

#11: Post by peacecup »

It is a relief to know that these hand grinders are at least capable of making decent espresso - I've never had access to a good electric grinder with which to make a comparison. I'll admit to a certain envy of having a professional setup someday, but with my current lifestyle and budget, along with a certain flair for "slow food" I'll settle for a PeDe.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

bill
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by bill »

Jack,
Okay, I give up. Where in the 'canon' did you find "hands down.."?
Bill
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

mogogear

#13: Post by mogogear »

Com' on Bill- I am a Southern boy living in Oregon and you in the South.. you have never heard any body declared the "Winner , hands down"?
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

peacecup

#14: Post by peacecup »

Okay, I give up. Where in the 'canon' did you find "hands down.."?
Actually, when they changed the signature requirements I couldn't fit the coffee pot quote anymore, so I had to come up with my own. I admit that it falls a little short...

I've taken the summer off of the Canon, after getting the two-volume set of Baring-Gould's annotated Sherlock Holmes at a used book store last winter, and reading them cover-to-cover a couple of times.

PC
LMWDP #049

peacecup

#15: Post by peacecup »

Another lovely hand grinder, the DeVe from Holland. Gleaming copper top:

PC
LMWDP #049

mogogear

#16: Post by mogogear »

peacecup wrote:
Actually, when they changed the signature requirements I couldn't fit the coffee pot quote anymore, so I had to come up with my own. I admit that it falls a little short...

I've taken the summer off of the Canon, after getting the two-volume set of Baring-Gould's annotated Sherlock Holmes at a used book store last winter, and reading them cover-to-cover a couple of times.

PC
Ok- Now I see that I was the odd man out- I don't keep up with you Holmes readers :wink:

Another nice grinder Jack- she is a bute!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Stuggi

#17: Post by Stuggi »

Anyone here who could give me some info on these Zassenhaus grinders. I would need one to go with the La Pavoni Europiccola I'm about to purchase.

peacecup

#18: Post by peacecup »

The Sun-stag saw I, from the South faring--
    he tethered the two together;
with his feet standing steadfast on earth,
    his horns touching very heaven.

PC
LMWDP #049

peacecup

#19: Post by peacecup »

Stuggi wrote:
Anyone here who could give me some info on these Zassenhaus grinders. I would need one to go with the La Pavoni Europiccola I'm about to purchase.
There are a number of HB's that list Zassenhauses in their equipment lists - if you search for them, you can send them a private message, or start a new thread on Zasses and ask them to reply. In general, hand grinders can be a good value for espresso making on a budget, and I like operating them. Jim S compared a hand grinder to a commercial burr grinder recently:

Titan Grinder Project: Can it Beat the Mazzer Robur?

Let us know how your search turns out,

PC
LMWDP #049

Stuggi

#20: Post by Stuggi »

I accually found a semi-broken mouldy conical burr-grinder at a fleamarket yesterday. It's stepless, and the grinder works fine. The box for the grounds is missing, aswell as the bottom that keeps the drawer in place. I'll deassemble it this week or next, depending on when I get time (working 8 am - 4 pm this week, trying to hook up with a cute girl, friends turning 18 here and there (legal drinking age in finland), trowing a huge party at my familys summerhouse this weekend and starting school again next week doesn't give me much spare time :D)

I think I'll remove the grinder and fashion a new wooden box for it (more like a funnel so I can dose directly into my PF). I'll maybe even put a motor on it (I have a 250 Watt electric motor that I don't have any use for, so it the cranking gets rough...)

EDIT: Turns out I had a bit spare time. I've cleaned the grinder with the strongest cleaners I had (that I dared use that is), and it's still pretty mushy inside, but not near as ugly as when I got it. At the moment I'm cleaning the brass hopper in a bath of sour yougurt, which should make it real shiny!