Hacking the DF64 exit chute - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GDM528 (original poster)

#31: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

GDM528 wrote:I'll try measuring what sort of difference tapping the bellows makes - I'd bet it's pretty low.
Tested and confirmed. The grinds left behind if I don't tap on the bellows is below the measurement resolution of my scales (0.1g). I captured some photos of the exit chute before and after tapping the bellows:

Looks like quite a bit of accumulation on the walls of the chute - but also very light and fluffy. It may be less than 1% of the total grind, but I still wouldn't want it in tomorrow's cup.

GDM528 (original poster)

#32: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

basiecally wrote:I did a print with 0,07mm layer height in some Prusament PLA. Came out nice!
Wow - that did print very nicely! I printed my SLA version at 0.1mm layer height - I can go as low as 0.025mm but it didn't seem necessary. Apologies for not making the design FDM-friendly and forcing all those support structures.

The surface finish you achieved also looks really good, but still looks like it will trap fines, which in turn will capture larger particles. The larger particles should dislodge easily with the bellows. Perhaps a layer of food-safe glossy paint/resin?

Advertisement
GDM528 (original poster)

#33: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

basiecally wrote:I don't have an SLA printer but I do have a Prusa Mini.
OK, so this has little to do with coffee - but still an amusing coincidence when two different 3D printers on opposite sides of the planet share the same furniture - right down to the knot in the wood. Go IKEA!

basiecally

#34: Post by basiecally »

It's a nice shelf, isn't it? :D It isn't really the furniture for my printer though, just happens to be next to it. That's my storage shelf for often used shop items. The printer is on a wall mounted, counterweight pulley suspended platform to be able to get it out of the way while it's not in use or during long prints when I want to coexist with it in the shop. My own design and construction. That's about 12kg of cast iron hanging from that wire.

basiecally

#35: Post by basiecally »

No need to apologize! The supports was a minor nuisance. I struggled more with the file format, had to import all parts into Solidworks, remove individual bodies and then save as STL for Slicer to handle it. Maybe I missed a link somewhere but all I could find through grabcad were the .step files.

Great work on the design! The fit was perfect with the wipers, even though the the part was fdm printed. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

GDM528 (original poster)

#36: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

Another upload to GrabCAD here: https://grabcad.com/library/df64-exit-c ... ownspout-1

Added a button-pusher to spare me the stress and trauma of having to reach around the dosing cup to push the power button. A short, gentle push of the dosing cup will now start up the grinder, and shaves nearly three seconds off my workflow! May not sound like much but does make the grinder significantly more pleasant to operate, as the power switch location has been the subject of some criticisms.

Designed for FDM printing, no infill, vase-mode compatible. I printed with a 1.0x0.5mm bead - printers with smaller nozzles should add more outlines to maintain stiffness. Attaches to base with a thin, flat layer of double-sticky tape.

Currently just for the supplied dosing cup, but the pusher can be tweaked for other cups or portafilters. Portafilter version is pending a new downspout design that will more uniformly lay down the grounds - current version is strongly biased to the left.

basiecally

#37: Post by basiecally »

Sorry, attaches to the base or to the button? Seems like it would have to slide against the base?

Advertisement
GDM528 (original poster)

#38: Post by GDM528 (original poster) »

Base portion 'stuck' directly onto the base. I used some thin, high-performance 3M 200MP double-sticky tape - sticks really tenaciously to both the printed part and the surface of the DF64 base.

The sliding portion is designed to extend below the printed base portion (1mm) so it rests level as it slides.

basiecally

#39: Post by basiecally »

Ah, okay! I didn't see that is was a two part construction. Nice! I still use my PF hooks but this might be one for the future.

yinonko

#40: Post by yinonko »

Hi

I would love to get the STL files

Thanks

Yinon