Grinders, grinders, grinders.... what's wrong with me?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by blondica73 »

Hi all,

I think I have a coffee condition that has not been diagnosed yet as I cannot figure out a cure and it relates to grinders.

My journey started many years ago with a blade grinder and I was happy for awhile. I then moved to burr grinder, I really don't remember the name and I was thrilled. My condition worsened and moved on to a Mazzer Mini Electronic. Wow, that was something else, great coffee in short amount of time. The honeymoon lasted a few years until I found this forum.
Gave the Mazzer away and bought a Niche and an Eureka Olympus. I was in heaven, both conical and flat burr grinders, best of both worlds. Coffee was elevated to a new level.

Then I heard about Kafatek and read a lot about it. Sold the Niche and the Olympus and bought the MAX and MC4.

Now what? Probably the COVID vaccine will help. :)

jevenator

#2: Post by jevenator replying to blondica73 »

This community of passionate enthusiasts helps facilitates this. I left /r/espresso on reddit because of the ignorance and unwillingness to listen to the other side.

This comment tree is what did it for me. You can find my comment on there as well. Same username.

I think HB has great discussion for the most part but there are others that would say we're just "elitist" or snobs that are nitpicking...nah man, I just like the best coffee I can possibly have. It's a reason why it's a hobby and not a caffeine fix.

So Christian, what I'm trying to say it's no condition. You have people like this in all expensive hobbies: espresso, headphones, pocket knives, watches, fountain pens, etc. (btw if there are more fun tinkering hobbies, please PM with idea. I pretty settled with my headphones and fountain pens, and saving up for a knife, but open to more ideas :).)

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

I am really curious how much better (or different) the espresso in the cup gets when moving from a 64mm flat (super jolly clone) to a 70-83mm flat (used to be called a big flat) to the 98mm flat (ek43 and others)

Are all the grinders we used to think were good now crap?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

mwebber

#4: Post by mwebber »

I saw that thread, too! The voting system on Reddit makes it easy for misinformed opinions to rise to the top of the heap. /r/espresso is frustrating to deal with, haha.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

In 2011, the Titan Grinder project convinced me to try a big conical. Back then, I was able to buy an original Pharos to see if the change made a difference to me. Which it did and I bought a Compak K10 WBC as a result.

Coffees have changed since then, as have my tastes in roasts. The conicals are still great grinders. As I've moved to light and ultra-light roasts, regrettably there isn't an affordable equivalent to the Pharos in a modern flat to try first.

From what I've read, the modern flats have advantages and disadvantages. I don't think there's an "ultimate" grinder out there even for just espresso.

TheFinePrint

#6: Post by TheFinePrint »

jevenator wrote: expensive hobbies: espresso, headphones, pocket knives, watches, fountain pens, etc. (btw if there are more fun tinkering hobbies, please PM with idea. I pretty settled with my headphones and fountain pens, and saving up for a knife, but open to more ideas :).)
amateur astronomy.
you can spend absolutely breathtaking amounts of money and it truly never ends.
You start with a scope. then you want a tracking mount, then new eyepieces, then you need a special camera. before you know it, you're looking at mountaintop acreage in rural Montana.

anyway I'll be off browsing real estate listings while I wait for my MAX to arrive...

EddyQ

#7: Post by EddyQ »

blondica73 wrote:Now what?
Roast. Another way to elevate your coffee experience.
I think you already roast, no?
LMWDP #671

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Plinyyounger »

Game over, you have won!
Family, coffee and fun.

learncoffee

#9: Post by learncoffee »

pizzaman383 wrote:I am really curious how much better (or different) the espresso in the cup gets when moving from a 64mm flat (super jolly clone) to a 70-83mm flat (used to be called a big flat) to the 98mm flat (ek43 and others)

Are all the grinders we used to think were good now crap?
I often wonder how many people can taste the difference in a controlled blind testing. I understand that there are those with "golden tongue", who can taste the difference in the coffee from minute changes in the preparation. For many of us, I believe we cannot detect the difference. But, I just spent thousands on new equipments, so gosh darn it, I can and will taste the difference, and for the better, too.

At the end of the day, IMHO, what matters is that we get the equipments that make us happy, regardless of the size and price. I am sure we can all agree that the coffee tastes much better when we are happy :)

kaptain_zero

#10: Post by kaptain_zero »

blondica73 wrote:Hi all,

I think I have a coffee condition that has not been diagnosed yet as I cannot figure out a cure and it relates to grinders.

The condition is called GAD or "Grinder Acquisition Disorder". Sadly, there is no cure.... but, you MIGHT be able to control it by attending addiction meetings and allowing your better half to control your credit cards. I wish I had better news for you.... :twisted: