Grinder Upgrade - Ceado E37S?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
lodi

#1: Post by lodi »

Greetings H-B Community. I currently have a Ceado E37J (64mm flat burr) paired with a Profitec Pro 700 w/ flow control. I pull two or three 18.5G shots/day - mostly expressos and lattes. At some point in the next year or so I plan to upgrade the Profitec to a GS3/MP, Decent, Slayer or Similar. However, before I upgrade the Profitec I want to upgrade the E37J. It's been a great grinder so my first thought is to move to the E37S with its larger burr set, more powerful motor and micro grind adjustment. From what I've read it compares very favorably to most everything in the $1,500 - $2K price range, including the K30 and Atom 75. I prefer a hopper over a single dose (keeps the wife happy) but I will consider an SD if compelling. I must admit the Niche Zero intrigues me at its price point. Not sure its in the same class but it always seems to pop into the conversation. I will admit that I don't know enough about flat vs conical burrs to have an opinion/preference. Love to hear your thoughts on the E37S and other recommendations.

Thanks!

ProfessorSnape

#2: Post by ProfessorSnape »

I enjoy my E37S and probably use my espresso grinder similarly (I like the hopper to just move through things in the morning). It does create a "Mohawk" distribution pattern but this is dealt with with WDT which I do not mine. If I were going to go for a different grinder I would consider the Mahlkonig E65S GBW simply because this would further streamline a process.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
BaristaMcBob

#3: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I have both the E37s and the E37J. I use them at different locations. I find these two so similar that I would not consider a move from J to S a meaningful upgrade.

BaristaMcBob

#4: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I program my E37s to grind without having to keep the button pressed. This allows me to shake the basket during the grind to help even out the distribution.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

lodi wrote:From what I've read it compares very favorably to most everything in the $1,500 - $2K price range, including the K30... Love to hear your thoughts on the E37S and other recommendations.

Thanks!
We've been using a K30 Vario for almost 7yrs and mostly single dosing for the last few years. Haven't had a second's trouble with it. Sometimes they're available 2nd hand at fair to good prices, that have only been used at home. The K30 Vario 2nd hand would be my 1st choice based on ease of use, speed, adjustment but most of all - taste!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

lodi (original poster)

#6: Post by lodi (original poster) »

"I enjoy my E37S and probably use my espresso grinder similarly (I like the hopper to just move through things in the morning). It does create a "Mohawk" distribution pattern but this is dealt with with WDT which I do not mine. If I were going to go for a different grinder I would consider the Mahlkonig E65S GBW simply because this would further streamline a process."

I looked at the E65S. A little stretch to the budget but more importantly, its too high for my counter.

"I have both the E37s and the E37J. I use them at different locations. I find these two so similar that I would not consider a move from J to S a meaningful upgrade."

I considered this and should have asked the question. I assumed there would be a good bit of difference. Maybe I will keep the E37J and add a single dose grinder. Other than a little extra hardware that would be a good solution.

"We've been using a K30 Vario for almost 7yrs and mostly single dosing for the last few years. Haven't had a second's trouble with it. Sometimes they're available 2nd hand at fair to good prices, that have only been used at home. The K30 Vario 2nd hand would be my 1st choice based on ease of use, speed, adjustment but most of all - taste!"

I would definitely consider a used K30. Only heard good things.

Thanks all!

111a111sk

#7: Post by 111a111sk »

There's a short 300g hopper available for E65S.
I'd also suggest the GbW if you want an improvement over time dosing but not single dosing