Grinder Epiphany with the Baratza Sette 270 - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
IMAWriter

#21: Post by IMAWriter »

floydo wrote:Could you expand on your experience with darker (2nd crack?) beans, the Sette and the need for WDT? Other jim mentioned he had some difficulty getting a good pour from extreme roasts.....However, for very light or very dark coffees, the Sette is only mediocre in taste....

I don't have a K30 to compare the specific darker coffee that I am playing with, but what I do notice is the flavors are impressive; more opened up compared to a 58mm flat, and, as an aside, there is some clogging/clinging in the plastic ring exit passage below the inner burr. I suspect the clinging to the exit is enhanced by the oils, but back to your flavor/pour experience...

Any comments?
Thx
I believe I wrote "NO WDT necessary. As you can see, the grind is quite uniform to the "nekkid" eye. Jim and I...and perhaps others noticed our favorite shots from the Sette cam from a "medium-ish" roast...a little lighter than medium, a little darker but stopped before 2nd crack. What I really like is say, my home roasted Panama Elida DP, roasted to 30 seconds out of 1st crack and quickly cooled can be a little over the top, but the Sette just sort of "relaxes" the acidity...hard to explain. Just less punch (in a good way for ME) than a large conical. So a Colombian you'd normally say is too bright, might just please you from the Sette. That said, the Forte and K30 Vario liked the darker roasted Costa Rican better.

floydo

#22: Post by floydo replying to IMAWriter »

I should have pointed to post #18, where you mentioned no WDT necessary with all but beans with some oil on them - I interpreted as, with darker roasts...so the question was; what is it with darker roasts and Sette in your experience (assuming the dark roast WDT needed implication)..

Maybe overthinking, as I am impressed with results from a medium and a dark roast (local roasters) having long experience with these... Playing with Sette, darker beans & WDT gives a little more dark tiger stripe longer, but given all the variables that may be a couple things at once involved....A K30 may be on the shopping list as I don't change roasts often, but the Sette footprint is really good....