Grinder driving me crazy

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gus6464

Postby gus6464 » Mar 13, 2018, 3:23 am

My Sette 270 is driving me crazy. I will dial in a new bean with grind setting and next day my grind will be totally off. This is with fresh roasted beans. When I say totally off I mean not just 1 or two micro settings but a whole macro setting. I get that as beans get older I have to adjust but it's a huge setting difference within 24 hours.

Don't know if there's maybe something I'm doing wrong or what.

Mesmer

Postby Mesmer » Mar 13, 2018, 4:24 am

Did you wait at least 1 week after roasting?
Could be CO2 messing with you.

gus6464

Postby gus6464 » replying to Mesmer » Mar 13, 2018, 4:34 am

No more like 2-3 days. I should wait at least a week before opening the bags from my local roaster? I usually buy bags of their beans that have been roasted within 24-48 hours. Should I start buying beans that were roasted the week prior?

Mesmer

Postby Mesmer » Mar 13, 2018, 4:56 am

Generally it's recommended to wait between 1 or 2 weeks after roasting before actually using the beans for espresso.
You should definitely give it a try and see if it fixes your problem.

Jasper_8137

Postby Jasper_8137 » Mar 13, 2018, 7:59 am

Mesmer wrote:Generally it's recommended to wait between 1 or 2 weeks after roasting before actually using the beans for espresso.
You should definitely give it a try and see if it fixes your

I roast my own beans and typically let them rest for 3 days, then use them for about a week. I typically have to make very slight (micro) adjustments to my grinder throughout the week, but never macro adjustments. I live in Colorado and have always assumed it had more to do with low ambient humidity.

redbone

Postby redbone » Mar 13, 2018, 8:21 am

Could this be a floating grind adjustment collar or other grinder issue ?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

sprin001

Postby sprin001 » Mar 13, 2018, 8:25 am

Mesmer wrote:Generally it's recommended to wait between 1 or 2 weeks after roasting before actually using the beans for espresso.
You should definitely give it a try and see if it fixes your problem.

I've never heard of a 2 week recommendation. I've commonly heard of 3-5 days post roast, and I've found that to do well. At 2 weeks, many beans are becoming stale if not being specially stored.

Unrooted

Postby Unrooted » Mar 13, 2018, 9:39 am

I find coffee to be best after 1 week up to 1 month old. . . I've even had great coffee that was 6 months old and pre-ground. . . I used to believe cofffee older than a week was bad, but not anymore.

Aguirre

Postby Aguirre » replying to Unrooted » Mar 13, 2018, 11:40 am

With light roasts, from my own experience, aging does play a big role. The sweet spot becomes more evident. Either too fresh or too old won't taste great. Darker roasts are more forgiving. I use to wait at least 5 days post-roast to start pulling espresso shots, and I also try to consume it within 1 month.

Back to the OP's point, maybe if the first shot is being pulled right after the 2-3 days old bag has been open, and the next day shot has considerably dryer grounds (that will depend a lot on local humidity and how the beans are being stored), then I also think it's possible this might be the cause.

A good test would be checking further, on day 3 and see if big adjustments are again necessary:

Day 1: open bag, dial grinder, make note of grinders setting.
Day 2: re-dial grinder as necessary. Make note of adjustments
Day 3: re-dial grinder as necessary. Make note of adjustments

If on day 3 there are again major adjustments required, I would stop thinking about beans freshness and would look into something else (grinder alignment/calibration, distribution/tamping technique, etc)

mililani

Postby mililani » Mar 13, 2018, 12:43 pm

I have the same issue with a Baratza Vario and stable roasted beans. I home roast, and my espresso is the bomb. It's better than my local roaster. I roast anywhere from 16% to 19% weight loss, so medium to dark. Anyways, I always have grind stability problems with my Vario no matter how settled or fresh the beans are. It is typically grind stable for the day, then next day it will just lose its mind. I've read many people who have experienced similar things with Vario and Sette 270--especially the newer serial #''s. One day, you get stable EBR, next it's choking the machine or producing gushers.

I would return your Sette and ask for a new one.