Grinder driving me crazy - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
gus6464 (original poster)

#11: Post by gus6464 (original poster) »

I thought it was maybe my tamp so I now go overboard with it. This is my process.

1. WDT
2. Use this

3. Then I use the joe frex level tamper

Tamp always looks consistent on my bottomless.

I have been contemplating exchanging the Sette for a Fiorenzato F4E because it's driving me nuts. The Sette produces some super fluffy grinds but it just seems to have a mind of it's own.

redbone

#12: Post by redbone »

Gus, I tamp with either a hand tamp or a Macap lever tamper and get the same results using my F4E.

I also have a KafaTek 49.5mm grooming / distribution tool I use with my LPE with similar results.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Spitz.me

#13: Post by Spitz.me »

Gus, those distribution tools that you have pictured I personally have found to be terrible and not any more useful than using WDT. Basically, their use added more time to my routine and worse channeling. However, it seems like I'm the only one with a negative experience using those tools.

Your problem doesn't sound symptomatic of poor distribution though. your issue sounds like a grinder issue. I also have a Sette and having to adjust often and A TON is not my experience. I rarely adjust.
LMWDP #670

Aguirre

#14: Post by Aguirre »

Spitz.me wrote:Gus, those distribution tools that you have pictured I personally have found to be terrible and not any more useful than using WDT.
I have one OCD tool. I don't think it's terrible but I DO think it's completely unnecessary - maybe in that case considering the high price I paid for it, we can call it terrible.

In my case, with the HG-1 and blind tumbler, even WDT is not necessary. Anyway, back to the original question, the 3-day experiment I've suggested before would really provide a good insight.

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by daveR1 »

Spitz.me wrote:
Your problem doesn't sound symptomatic of poor distribution though. your issue sounds like a grinder issue. I also have a Sette and having to adjust often and A TON is not my experience. I rarely adjust.
I have the same experience with my Sette.Grinder setting changes are minimal, even from one type coffee to another I rarely adjust more than 1 macro setting. Most adjustments are micro stepless i.e. C to D or E

I have noticed that if I'm grinding too coarse I get inconsistencies, so I think it's important to make sure you're grinding fine enough for your particular coffee.