Grinder cleaning hack

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ian-G

Postby Ian-G » Jun 10, 2019, 8:51 am

This may not be as earth shattering to anyone as it was to me. So I decided my grinder needed a clean. The simple hack that I used was that instead of using a manual toothbrush along with a vacuum, I used an electric toothbrush. Burrs completely free of build up in 4 minutes each. All the hard to get at sh*ty bits in the grinder, again, minutes. And best of all, no effort required. So I'm keeping a brush head solely for grinder cleaning. I'm feeling v. pleased with myself, although I'm probably late to the party as usual. Anyway thought I'd share just in case.

truemagellen

Postby truemagellen » Jun 11, 2019, 12:28 pm

Years ago there were awesome posts like this all the time. Now we are a bit overwhelmed with people salivating over the next $7000 grinder made by virgins in Monaco.

Thanks Ian-G. I will try this out this weekend as I planned on cleaning my Compak K8.

civ

Postby civ » Jun 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

truemagellen wrote:... people salivating over the next $7000 grinder made by virgins in Monaco.

=~D !!!
+1

CIV

Ian-G

Postby Ian-G » Jun 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

I hope it works for you Jason and thanks for the appreciative comment. I was just thinking, if anyone has a dremel, they could kick it up a notch and use that instead.

Lateralus

Postby Lateralus » Jun 12, 2019, 1:01 pm

I'm not using power tools (electric toothbrush it TOTALLY a power tool here) but a brass brush works wonders.

I'll try the electric brush though!

cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby cannonfodder » Jun 12, 2019, 3:39 pm

Just remember when using compressed air, do not stand over the hopper inlet as you blow air into the discharge chute. Makes for gritty eyes brown shirts and you sneeze coffee for days.
Dave Stephens

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Jun 13, 2019, 12:45 am

I'm wondering whether burr cleaning helps anything versus letting the burrs remain seasoned with coffee oils? It's not like you would get much exchange of old coffee getting into new grounds from the burrs alone.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Ian-G

Postby Ian-G » Jun 13, 2019, 12:42 pm

That's a good question Gary, which I've had to think about - and in so doing, I decided I was a bit of a sheep for cleaning my grinder because everybody else does it. After thinking about it for a bit though, I can think of two reasons.

First, the grinds that get stuck deep in the grooves of the long teeth of the grinder presumably have some effect on the quality of the grind. If they didn't the burrs wouldn't be made with such deep grooves. It would presumably be easier and cheaper to make less defined teeth, which would solve the problem of coffee getting stuck and not change the grind quality in any way.

Second, the gradual build up of stuck grinds may not present much of a problem, but when a old bit of compressed grounds breaks off and finds its way into your drink it could, I suppose, be noticeable.