Grinder burr seasoning? - Page 10

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Teme

#91: Post by Teme »

It has been unexpectedly difficult to get even and consistent pours (i.e. some issues with channeling). With the Compak K10 it was as easy as it could be right from the start. The Mahlkönig K30 did require more care than the conical Compak. Therefore the Robur being finicky and fairly demanding on the distribution was a bit of a surprise.

Having said this, things appear to be getting better now that I have put another 25 lbs through the Robur.

Br,
Teme

gyro (original poster)

#92: Post by gyro (original poster) »

Very surprising re the channeling. Even my first dud set of burrs actually resulted in fairly nice looking central pours, but they were blonding early and taking 8+ secs to grind a double. In retrospect, I think it was producing a lot more fines than normal. For a standard 25-30 sec extraction the coffee felt very coarse (but must have contained a lot of fines) when rubbing between thumb and finger, it just felt wrong.

You may well not find anything visible, but have you pulled the burrs to have a look? Obviously channeling is not something you would expect from a Robur.

Teme

#93: Post by Teme »

I have not pulled the burrs since things continue getting better. In fact we had a session at my place where my old K30 Vario, a Versalab M3 and an Anfim Super Caimano were also present. And the Robur-E held its ground. We also ran samples from the grind and I hope to get the particle distribution analyses in the near future...

Br,
Teme

gyro (original poster)

#94: Post by gyro (original poster) »

Glad it sounds to be coming right. A shame wasn't good to go after 5 or 10lbs though. Good luck, Chris