Grinder burr seasoning? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Theodore

#21: Post by Theodore »

Nino takes 2.8 sec to grind a 14g double.
Espresso uber alles.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#22: Post by RapidCoffee »

another_jim wrote:I keep wondering who's sillier; the grinder manufacturer's who keep converting grinders designed for dosers to doserless, or the people who keep buying them. Is there any grinder originally designed to operate with a doser that is better without one?
This is harsh, even for April Fool's. Define "better". Less clumpy grinds? Sure, that's the one clear benefit that a doser provides in a home setting: it helps break up clumps.* Otherwise, I prefer doserless designs, even the retrofits. Doserless grinders are quieter, less wasteful, and less messy than dosered grinders - all factors that are of much greater significance in the home setting than a busy commercial environment.

The basic problem is not dosered vs. doserless, it's the poor design of the exit chute from the burr chamber on most commercial grinders. A horizontal chute, with or without a wire grid, practically guarantees some grind buildup and compression, resulting in chunks (or in some cases, coffee cubes :shock:). A better design would not cause chunks in the first place.

* BTW, I know of at least one other way to address this problem. :)
John

Advertisement
portamento

#23: Post by portamento »

Getting off-topic here, but John's post did make me wonder: Has anyone ever tried reorienting their Mazzer so the chute faces downward at a 45 or 90 degree angle? The primary concerns would be:

1. Performance of the motor in a non-vertical orientation
2. Devising some kind of stand to hold the grinder in the proper position
3. Keeping the beans feeding consistently

Just some thoughts for you doserless fans. Personally, I love the fluffy distribution I'm getting from my tweaked Mazzer doser.

Ryan
Ryan

another_jim
Team HB

#24: Post by another_jim »

dsc wrote: ... Yes the grinds are pushed through the grid, but I have no clumping problems ...

I can't really agree with you here Jim, I think the funnel works very well ...
The funnel is great. It collects the shot you ground the last time perfectly. The shot you ground this time is behind that grid.
Jim Schulman

dsc

#25: Post by dsc »

Hi Jim,

the grid holds around 3g of coffee, quick purge and it's gone. I agree the whole idea of having a flat 'corridor' between the burr chamber and the funnel/doser is not awesome, but the grinder still works very well.

Regards,
dsc.

shadowfax

#26: Post by shadowfax »

portamento wrote:Getting off-topic here, but John's post did make me wonder: Has anyone ever tried reorienting their Mazzer so the chute faces downward at a 45 or 90 degree angle? The primary concerns would be:

Just some thoughts for you doserless fans. Personally, I love the fluffy distribution I'm getting from my tweaked Mazzer doser.
The main problem is probably static (link to Jacob's attempt to mod his Robur exit chute).
Nicholas Lundgaard

JonR10

#27: Post by JonR10 »

RapidCoffee wrote:Doserless grinders are quieter, less wasteful, and less messy than dosered grinders - all factors that are of much greater significance in the home setting than a busy commercial environment.
I disagree on most of these counts. The only noise difference would be operating the doser (some clack louder than others), but as far as mess and waste goes I find that I have less mess and less waste using my doser grinders that with the doserless. For disclosure, my Mazzer doser has some simple modification so that it sweeps very clean and I have been loading per shot and grinding through completely which also helps to virtually eliminate waste.

RapidCoffee wrote:* BTW, I know of at least one other way to address this problem. :)
yea yea yea......we know, we know 8)

But I think this is relevant in another way....I feel like the WDT funnel helps me keep mess to a minimum with either a doser or doserless grinder. I have owned both doser and doserless-designed grinders as well as having modified a doser grinder to be doserless. In all cases I have found the WDT funnel to be very helpful in reducing mess and waste.

As for grounds behind the screen of a Mazzer doserless....these can also be brushed out if done carefully and with the right type of brush. When I was using a doserless Super Jolly I was able to reduce waste to a minimum just like I do now with other grinders. I prefer the dosers because brushing the chute is much less of a PITA.

Of course the Mahlkoenig eliminates much of this altogether. It is a freakishly quiet coffee dispenser that leaves very little (if any) coffee in the chute. I have one of he buttons set up for a short pulse to clear the burr area, this causes waste from keeping the hopper loaded but that's a small price IMO for the added convenience. The downside of this one is that it is definitely more messy than my doser grinders.
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Advertisement
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#28: Post by RapidCoffee »

JonR10 wrote:I disagree on most of these counts. The only noise difference would be operating the doser (some clack louder than others), but as far as mess and waste goes I find that I have less mess and less waste using my doser grinders that with the doserless. For disclosure, my Mazzer doser has some simple modification so that it sweeps very clean and I have been loading per shot and grinding through completely which also helps to virtually eliminate waste.

As for grounds behind the screen of a Mazzer doserless....these can also be brushed out if done carefully and with the right type of brush. When I was using a doserless Super Jolly I was able to reduce waste to a minimum just like I do now with other grinders. I prefer the dosers because brushing the chute is much less of a PITA.
Of course I was referring to the noise of the doser lever going THWACK-THWACK-THWACK. Grinding noise will be similar, with or without a doser. I have tried most of the doser mods, and remain convinced that some grinds are always retained in the doser. I have never tried a wire screen over the chute, so grinds retention in the chute is the same - except that, with some (non wire grid) doserless mods, it's easier to brush out the chute.

I realize that I'm in the minority on the doser vs. doserless issue. So what else is new? :?
JonR10 wrote:Of course the Mahlkoenig eliminates much of this altogether. It is a freakishly quiet coffee dispenser that leaves very little (if any) coffee in the chute. I have one of he buttons set up for a short pulse to clear the burr area, this causes waste from keeping the hopper loaded but that's a small price IMO for the added convenience.
Let's see: fast, quiet... and doserless. I'd like to hear more about the burr and exit chute design.
John

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#29: Post by RapidCoffee »

portamento wrote:Getting off-topic here, but John's post did make me wonder: Has anyone ever tried reorienting their Mazzer so the chute faces downward at a 45 or 90 degree angle? The primary concerns would be:

A couple of years ago, someone posted a pic of a Mazzer on an inclined board (#2 above) on CG. Sorry, I don't have the time to search for it right now...
John

dsc

#30: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,
JonR10 wrote:I have been loading per shot
That's the main difference for me, I don't load per shot anymore:) mostly because of the funnel design.

Regards,
dsc.