Great unique burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
coffeeOnTheBrain

#1: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

There seem to be only a few burrs that are unique in their taste profile. Most burrs seem to fall into 2 categories, classic espresso burrs, classic filter burrs.

Basically all espresso burrs are the same. Sure some achieve a little bit of a tighter distribution and some are made to lower tolerances than others, but still they emphasize the same properties, maybe shifting emphasize differently.

For filter it is basically the same just other properties, all those Ditting burrs ;) achieve nice clarity at the expense of body.

A few burrs are more unique than that:
  • EK43 A -burrs for Filter or anecdotally very long ratio espressos, creating a unique mix of clarity and body with a smooth texture (I never really tried espresso with mine)
  • Ditting Lab Sweet burrs unique in sweetness while maintaining clarity to a high degree and emphasizing body and texture, they work well for filter and in my eyes best for medium espresso roasts
  • DRM burrs emphasize texture and clarity in espresso (only tried them a few times, would love to own them)
  • SSP 98mm high uniformity and 64 unimodal/ multipurpose to a lesser degree achieve unbelievable clarity with light roasts at the cost of body and texture (I only owned the v1 unimodal, again relying on Brian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgvmyPcW8E)
  • Bentwood 63 is neutral emphasizing nothing in particular in a pretty good way
  • C40 burrs (maybe also some of their carbon copies) are almost in the filter burr category for me with their high clarity but have a little more body and are capable of espresso too (in my mind these are great for a travel grinder)

Did I miss any unique burrs that are great? Feel free to name ghost tooth burrs, the Ode V1 or whatever, but only if you had a great experience with them ;)

Disclaimer: I owned most of the burrs above, otherwise a source for the claim is named.

coffeeOnTheBrain (original poster)

#2: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain (original poster) »

PS: I can't really say too much about Kafatek please feel free to add info about their burrs.

PPS: forgot about the new SSP 98mm brew burrs with their insane clarity, never saw them in the wild. So please help me here too.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Peppersass »

Kafatek Shuriken Light-Medium (SLM) flat burrs

The grind path of the SLM burrs is longer than most burrs, which Kafatek says reduces fines, which in turn allows a finer grind. This helps with difficult-to-extract light roasts. The downside is that grinding takes considerably longer and very fat beans may not feed into the burrs.

I have the 75mm SLM burrs in my Monolith Flat and can confirm all of this. Taste-wise, the SLM burrs produce more sweetness, clarity and depth of flavor than the previous 75mm Mythos and SSP burrs. I tend to pull shots in the 1:1.5 to 1:2 range. I find the SLM burrs do great for Ristrettos pulled from light roasts, which is a real feat. The longer grind time and occasional unground bean are minor annoyances. However, my Flat is an early production model without the safety cap, so it's easier for me to see and remove any unground beans, which I crack and re-feed.

Kafatek also makes an SMD and SSW versions of the Shuriken burrs, with the former tuned for medium-to-dark roasts and the latter tuned for Lungo (low brew ratio) shots and light roasts (SW stands for "Sweet"). I've not tried either, so I can't speak to what makes them different or how they affect taste.