Gorilla Gear burrs for Niche Zero/Mazzer Kony - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
washed

#51: Post by washed »

BananaApple wrote:Can I ask what your guys' (who are actively using these burrs) active grinding range for espresso after recalibrating? I know with less fines it'll be a lot closer but would love to hear about experiences on how tight the grind setting would be
My calibration point for the GG is a 7-8 dots forward (clockwise) compared to the mazzers, and I'm going between 0 and 5 with the few I've tried so far with a VST.

BananaApple

#52: Post by BananaApple »

I'm assuming that these values are set after the recommended 1kg seasoning as well?
But yea it's crazy how coarse these were grinding at setting 7. It was almost pourover sized by then.

Advertisement
washed

#53: Post by washed »

We will just need to get used to different set of parameters for these burrs.

I'm using a thin piece of scotch tape to note the mazzer and GG calibration points.

Grahamsphillips

#54: Post by Grahamsphillips »

So I'm really happy with the taste for pour over but when I grind finer for espresso it chokes the NICHE .. as someone else also mentioned. Not good. I've emailed John @ Gorilla to see what he suggests

washed

#55: Post by washed »

Washed light roasts stall the niche, but light natural / medium / darker seem ok.

Grahamsphillips

#56: Post by Grahamsphillips »

Thing is I've never had the NICHE stall using the original burrs

BananaApple

#57: Post by BananaApple »

I can't be the only person not excited that his recommendation is to pay $250+ to get a dial + shim set for aligning these burrs right :shock:
Feels like it's down a rabbit hole even I'm struggling to justify at this point

Advertisement
washed

#58: Post by washed »

BananaApple wrote:I can't be the only person not excited that his recommendation is to pay $250+ to get a dial + shim set for aligning these burrs right :shock:
Feels like it's down a rabbit hole even I'm struggling to justify at this point
Nope, it's kinda hilarious. I'm not buying it.