Gorilla Gear burrs for Niche Zero/Mazzer Kony - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
randyr5 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by randyr5 (original poster) »

Pulled my first shots for my morning Americanos. After calibration, I first set the dial to the same number as the Mazzer burrs and got a gusher. So first observation is that the Niche (at least mine) needs to be set to a lower number with the GG burrs to get similar results weight and time-wise. Second observation - once I got it dialed in, I noticed that there was less clumping, a good thing, IMO. I'll keep an eye on that. Third, my Americanos were very smooth and tasty.
I'll try an espresso shot a little later.

zefkir

#12: Post by zefkir »

Can anyone post a picture of the burrs? Including the teeth design of the ring burr if possible.

Supporter ♡

#13: Post by randyr5 (original poster) »

Wodan wrote:Just got mine. Did the 1kg "settling" that they recommend and then pulled a couple shots. I had to grind about 10 numbers finer than with stock burrs for the same coffee (3 vs 13). It took a few tries to get it dialed in and then I ran out of beans, but the one shot I drank was delicious.
Same here, about 10-12 clicks finer. The grind is definitely more consistent with less clumping.

LewBK

#14: Post by LewBK »

Would like to see a sieve test on this burr set to see if it is truly more consistent than Mazzer's. It is an expensive upgrade to make without more proof.

Wodan

#15: Post by Wodan »

I think the taste test will be more valuable. Ultimately thats the reason for upgrading.

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by daveR1 »

LewBK wrote:Would like to see a sieve test on this burr set to see if it is truly more consistent than Mazzer's. It is an expensive upgrade to make without more proof.
Not to mention you've now got a $200 Mazzer Kony doorstop

Supporter ♡

#17: Post by randyr5 (original poster) »

zefkir wrote:Can anyone post a picture of the burrs? Including the teeth design of the ring burr if possible.
There were some pics posted on the Niche Zero Owners FB page.

Supporter ♡

#18: Post by randyr5 (original poster) »

OK, observations after Day 2 with the GG burrs:

Strictly subjective, but the grind physically looks more consistent and definitely has less clumping. I'm not going to do a sieve test because I just don't get that scientific when it comes to coffee drinking. I let my eyes be the judge.

My Americanos are definitely smoother and a bit sweeter, and the espresso shots were very good.

So IMO, the GG burrs have improved the taste in the cup, and with the pre-order discount they weren't much more that a new set of Mazzer burrs.

skink91

#19: Post by skink91 »

randyr5 wrote:There were some pics posted on the Niche Zero Owners FB page.
Also was a picture this morning on there of someone's new GG burrs that looked all beat up on arrival... are they supposed to be harder than the originals? Also how do they ship them - are they able to bounce around in the packaging?

Wodan

#20: Post by Wodan »

zefkir wrote:Can anyone post a picture of the burrs? Including the teeth design of the ring burr if possible.