Ghost burr hand grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Ursego

#1: Post by Ursego »

ADDED LATER:
After creating this topic, I bought the grinder I was asking about, and wrote a small amateur review of it.

Does anyone use this grinder? Can it grind coarsely enough for a French press? Pros, cons, ideas? Alternatives up to $200?

I know that there are cheap electrical ghost grinders, but I want manual since I don't make French press very often (I am an espresso guy), and there is no room on the countertop for another electrical grinder (also, low RPM seem more acceptable for this purpose).

Acavia

#2: Post by Acavia »

How would it not leave a lot of coffee on the burrs?

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Orphan Espresso's Apex is the standout manual ghost teeth grinder, getting stellar reports for brewing. It also has a stellar price. One thought is that it rquires a good deal of muscle to crank, despites it's much larger build than the model you've shown. That one might turn out to be very hard to crank.
Jim Schulman

Ursego (original poster)

#4: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Acavia wrote:How would it not leave a lot of coffee on the burrs?
Big particles, not powder.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Acavia wrote:How would it not leave a lot of coffee on the burrs?
Crank really, really fast :D.

FWIW, Apex has 1:4 expansion gearing to get the burr RPM's around/over 400. No idea how applicable that would be to these burrs, which appear to be much smaller.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Ursego (original poster)

#6: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Orphan Espresso's Apex is the standout manual ghost teeth grinder, getting stellar reports for brewing. It also has a stellar price. One thought is that it rquires a good deal of muscle to crank, despites it's much larger build than the model you've shown. That one might turn out to be very hard to crank.
Must be very good, but too expensive to be used once in a while.

Ursego (original poster)

#7: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

I bought the grinder I was asking about in this topic, and wrote a small amateur review of it.