Gevi Grindmaster?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
berfles

#1: Post by berfles »

I keep seeing this on Instagram, which makes me worried right off the bat since ads are usually trash, but it looks interesting...

https://gevilife.com/pages/GrindMaster

I couldn't find another topic when I searched. Is this an actual well known brand?

SutterMill

#2: Post by SutterMill »

I've seen the brand before but have heard almost nothing about it. I usually associate it with lower quality items that have a close resemblance to Breville. They have been making a push into higher end coffee as of late. It would appear the grinder you posted is in the pre-release marketing hype phase.
Its a handsome design. Look forward to reviews.

twjacobsen

#3: Post by twjacobsen »

You can see it in action in Lance Hedrics video on "How to dial in light roast espresso". Reading their marketing materials, there's a stab directly at the Timemore Sculptor, which is funny :D

Jonk

#4: Post by Jonk »

Gevi gained some fame for their "4-in-1" grinder/brewer combo.

The "GrindMaster" seems to be available already with another name on AliExpress with a slightly different catch cup.

bonjing

#5: Post by bonjing »

Quan did a video on the grinder if anyone is interested.
Seems like a variable speed Ode2 which is nice but they included the tightness of the burrs from the Ode1. We will see if the pricing is worth it.

malling

#6: Post by malling »

It's fundamentally an Ode in it's central construction, even how you zero it is identical to ode. There some improvements like its tool less, but also some downgrade like the use of a plastic grinding control mechanism.

But yes it's an Ode with RPM with more steps, that can actually grind espresso

EvanOz85

#7: Post by EvanOz85 »

bonjing wrote:but they included the tightness of the burrs from the Ode1.
What do you mean by "tightness of the burrs"? Not an Ode user, but I've considered recommending them to friends who want something better than entry level. Does the Gen1 have better alignment or something?

bonjing

#8: Post by bonjing replying to EvanOz85 »

I may be misspoken, but I vaguely remember some people having burr fitment issues with the gen1 the carrier was a bit snug. Nothing really wrong with the gen1 but the gen2 was more universal fitment for aftermarket burrs.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am in the market for a backup grinder and the Ode2 is on my radar but if the price is right then the gevi gets the nod if they fix that tightness issue.

malling

#9: Post by malling replying to bonjing »

There where no such issues with V.1, the Issue you refer to was specifically for some batches in V1.1

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk »

Not just snug, it could be near impossible to remove SSP burrs again after fitment. Fellow adjusted the carriers, while SSP responded by decreasing the diameter slightly but older sets can be oversized for some grinders, like Timemore 064(S).

FWIW, Fellow claims tighter tolerances / better alignment with gen 2: Fellow news and information!

Seems strange to compare this grinder to an Ode though, it's obviously trying to compete with more premium grinders.