Gevi Grindmaster? - Page 9

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Capuchin Monk

#81: Post by Capuchin Monk »

malling wrote:At this price point I just question if that design is good enough for the money.
Then only options are to wait for more reviews to come out or just buy one and see if it is what it's cracked* up to be. For me, I'm waiting for the grind off between this one and DF83V next year. :P

* Coffee beans perhaps.

Jeff
Team HB

#82: Post by Jeff »

I usually try to stay reasonably fact- or experience-based in my commentary, but getting spam email from one of the apparent services promoting Kickstarter and Indiegogo ("my buddy" frank with crowdexpert, one of several spammers that has harvested or bought names and emails) has pushed me over the limit. Not the usual miracle invention that solves a problem you don't have, but, yes, the Gevi. Addressed to an email that I used for a camera mount, not one associated with coffee. Copy-paste from that email, including the capitalization error:

Spam from crowdexpert wrote:Your weekly guide to the most popular crowdfunding projects

Hi Jeff Kletsky,

we're sending you this email to keep you up to date on the most recent and popular crowdfunding projects for this week. Keep following us to be the first to hear about all new releases.

Now check the following projects:

Gevi GrindMaster: Ultimate Stepless Coffee Grinder

The other miracles in that spam included IcyForge ice maker, MECEP watch of the future, DiveDrive underwater scooter, and ErgoRead heated scarf.

So add that to the list of red flags on this grinder, which already include

Gevi, whose line of espresso machines start off with a "15 bar" model, move up to a $150 "20 bar" model, and top out at $430 with a poor copy of a poor copy of a Breville all-in-one.

Gevi, whose $800 all-in-one brewer has faded into obscurity, except for introducing "Gevi burrs" that you can pick up on Alibaba for $17 for your Urbanic, or $6 or $7 in quantity.

What product manager decided that spending money on a scale in a dosing cup was a good way to make the grinder better somehow?

Or missed that 64 mm and larger flat-burr grinders for espresso typically can be easily and repeatedly adjusted to 10 µm increments in unloaded burr gap and called for a thread that should have been obviously too coarse?

androidzai

#83: Post by androidzai »

The campaign is ended. I backed one yesterday before the campaign end. Not they increase the price for another 100$ and removed the ssp option.

Ursego

#84: Post by Ursego »

StoicDude wrote:I'm confused. Clean as in the grounds don't spray anywhere but into the dosing cup?
Yes. It's a big problem in my Niche Zero, and it's a problem (even though not as severe) in Sculptors. If GGM & DF83v would not have an ionizer, I would never order them. But I am not a typical user, sometimes I pay too much attention to details insignificant to others. For example, I love E61 group because of the flow control device, and (please don't lough!) because I heat the puck screen on it. And yes - I know it's the worse design possible, but love is blind.

Ursego

#85: Post by Ursego »

Jeff wrote:So add that to the list of red flags on this grinder, which already include

Gevi, whose line of espresso machines start off with a "15 bar" model, move up to a $150 "20 bar" model, and top out at $430 with a poor copy of a poor copy of a Breville all-in-one.

Gevi, whose $800 all-in-one brewer has faded into obscurity, except for introducing "Gevi burrs" that you can pick up on Alibaba for $17 for your Urbanic, or $6 or $7 in quantity.

What product manager decided that spending money on a scale in a dosing cup was a good way to make the grinder better somehow?
Agree about a scale in a dosing cup - that is stupid especially in a single-dosing grinder. I've ordered the scaleless version, of course. I don't like that cup anyway, planning to grind directly in to the portafilter (using their stand) or using the cup from Niche Zero or similar.

Regarding the other red flags, I wouldn't say so categorically. Of course, you may be right. But it can also be the case that a company that has been producing cheap crap for years surprises the world with something of quality, if it takes the issue seriously and targets consumers who understand the topic rather than the biggest possible crowd. Sure, their name is not the same as Turin. But, on the other hand, we know examples when a good grinder was engineered by an unknown or newly established company (e.g. the same NZ), and Gevi still has a lot of experience in this field, they don't start from scratch. Once again, you may be right. But I decided to give them a chance - counting on the fact that if I don't like GGM, I'll sell it for the same super early bird price I bought it for.

malling

#86: Post by malling »

The spraying depends on local conditions if living in dry this is especially something to pay attention too, living in more high humidity not really much of an issue

Jonk

#87: Post by Jonk »

Also what beans are used. Even with dark roasts it was a very minor problem with the Niche Zero for me, but over the course of weeks or months there was an accumulation of microfines on the white body.. A challenge for the scale to weigh, but unsightly.

The 064 is extremely clean for me. Everything knocks into the catch cup. I have the 078 in white and while it's pretty good, it's at least a worse offender.. and when there are grinds on the base they sure draw attention. Don't buy white gear :lol:

androidzai

#88: Post by androidzai »

Ursego wrote:Yes. It's a big problem in my Niche Zero, and it's a problem (even though not as severe) in Sculptors. If GGM & DF83v would not have an ionizer, I would never order them. But I am not a typical user, sometimes I pay too much attention to details insignificant to others. For example, I love E61 group because of the flow control device, and (please don't lough!) because I heat the puck screen on it. And yes - I know it's the worse design possible, but love is blind.
Have you tried RDT? In James video the professor says it's superior than ion generator because the statics build during the grind phase and ionizer cannot help at that moment.
I do see reviews for Barsetto E6 that the ionizer stop working after couple months use and you have to clean the ion generator with some material can dissolve coffee oil.

Fraussie

#89: Post by Fraussie »

The guys behind the DF64 (and the millions of models that came after that) came out of nowhere. We know very little about the company, its team, its manufacturing plant. And yet they have been very successful with their grinders. Gevi could very well impress with this Grindmaster grinder. Who knows? Gone are the days where the market was dominated by established European manufacturers.

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#90: Post by StoicDude »

Fraussie wrote:Gone are the days where the market was dominated by established European manufacturers.
I dont know about that. I don't see DF, Timemore, Gevi at any coffee shops I visit.

Maybe they are too young. Maybe they don't have the reliability track record etc, but they are primarily used in the home.

Mahlkönig, Mazzer, Compak, Eureka still rock the commercial side.

Yes, the home market has taken off and some of the big European manufacturers have ventured into the home market.

Much easier access to technology, manufacturing etc these days compared to 20 years ago too.