Gevi Grindmaster? - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
User avatar
Jeff
Team HB
Posts: 6643
Joined: 19 years ago

#51: Post by Jeff »

(Mod hat on)

Before this becomes a spitting match, maybe wait a bit until one of you have one in hand, or at least someone has a production version to talk about

malling
Posts: 2851
Joined: 13 years ago

#52: Post by malling »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Based on the sound when it's on (before coffee beans are dropped), one can tell if there is gear or not, quiet spin means burr base is direct mount to motor shaft, whining sound means gears like grinders around $300. Geared ones are more prone to wearing for obvious reason. From what I can tell, Gevi is not a geared grinder.

Perhaps the reason for Philos to have fixed speed is because of its AC motor not having much torque at low speed. :?
Kafatek used gear reduction I don't exactly think people experience any problems and earlier option O also I believe ran with slight gear reduction. Kafatek in version 4 has apparently shifted to DC.

You can't evaluate a grinder by simply looking at type of motor and wattage. The motor like anything else comes in very different levels of quality for example kafatek used some thst are used in high demanding industries where dirt and moist is a problem, additionally the grinders can be set up in different ways, some even use belts. So while it might sound nice with a DC a DC require more electronics and a cheap one is probably more prone to failure then high quality gear.

I'm just addressing the whole DC and high wattage = better, because it's really only one part of the overall picture.

Additionally there no objective data to actually show the benefits of actual rpm on anything other then more traditional style burrs.

But let's see how it turns out so far reviews are bit mixed

User avatar
Ursego
Posts: 274
Joined: 6 years ago

#53: Post by Ursego »

BTW, the GGM has this unusual feature:



A couple of people (on YouTube or the GGM FB group, I don't remember) tried to test it with very light roast on the lowest 500 RPM but couldn't - the motor was spinning flawlessly.

malling
Posts: 2851
Joined: 13 years ago

#54: Post by malling »

I believe Zerno had 7.5n.m torque - which goes to show it's not that simple

User avatar
Ursego
Posts: 274
Joined: 6 years ago

#55: Post by Ursego »

malling wrote:I believe Zerno had 7.5n.m torque
Can you provide the link please? I'm in no way arguing with you, and I'm not saying that GGM is on the same level as Zerno (I just ordered a GGM since the price - 564 USD with SSP - was very attractive for me) - I just need this link for my goals. I googled, but didn't find it.

malling
Posts: 2851
Joined: 13 years ago

#56: Post by malling replying to Ursego »

They mentioned it somewhere might been on instagram or on discord

Capuchin Monk
Posts: 1203
Joined: 14 years ago

#57: Post by Capuchin Monk »

malling wrote:Kafatek used gear reduction I don't exactly think people experience any problems and earlier option O also I believe ran with slight gear reduction. Kafatek in version 4 has apparently shifted to DC.

You can't evaluate a grinder by simply looking at type of motor and wattage. The motor like anything else comes in very different levels of quality for example kafatek used some thst are used in high demanding industries where dirt and moist is a problem, additionally the grinders can be set up in different ways, some even use belts. So while it might sound nice with a DC a DC require more electronics and a cheap one is probably more prone to failure then high quality gear.

I'm just addressing the whole DC and high wattage = better, because it's really only one part of the overall picture.

Additionally there no objective data to actually show the benefits of actual rpm on anything other then more traditional style burrs.

But let's see how it turns out so far reviews are bit mixed
When coffee grinder is referred to as #-killer, it means that grinder can do the same or almost same job as # but for less money. Gevi costing much less than other grinders with the same configuration (Nautilus or Zerno), it may become such killer.

Capuchin Monk
Posts: 1203
Joined: 14 years ago

#58: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Review videos are pouring out now.
This shows the updates Gevi made already. Credit should be given to them for acting fast.

malling
Posts: 2851
Joined: 13 years ago

#59: Post by malling »

Capuchin Monk wrote:When coffee grinder is referred to as #-killer, it means that grinder can do the same or almost same job as # but for less money. Gevi costing much less than other grinders with the same configuration (Nautilus or Zerno), it may become such killer.
The segment who buy a Zerno and P64 are rarely ever the same segment as those budget conscious and financial constrained consumers, and while there some users who buy everything that can walk and crawl they are a minority.

There people for whom money isn't nearly as much an issue and who more interested in quality and design they are unlikely to ever be interested in products that are target and marketed themselves as cheaper more affordable alternatives.

This is why options o seem to be largely untouched by all the much more affordable grinders in fact they open op for more and resellers.

Capuchin Monk
Posts: 1203
Joined: 14 years ago

#60: Post by Capuchin Monk »

malling wrote:The segment who buy a Zerno and P64 are rarely ever the same segment as those budget conscious and financial constrained consumers,
If my memory serves, Lagom P64 had early bird price of roughly half during the promotion period, no? Gevi is doing the same thing.