Getting started with the Baratza Vario - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Whale

#31: Post by Whale »

Hello everyone. Just to follow up and give praises to whom that deserves them.

Kyle, of Baratza, e-mailed back and confirmed that I had one of the unit with a noisy motor/fragile display. He will send me a new display panel that I will replace myself. There is nothing to it really. As a bonus, Kyle will send the new improved panel. I had offered to pay the $20.00, but Kyle just decided to give it to me for free!

A really classy act! I am so impressed that I am thinking that I will not procure the La Cimbali Max that I was about to purchase and I will simply get a second B-Vario, just to support such a great company. What I may lose in coffee quality I would get back in the satisfaction of supporting some people that really support their customers.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

jthor

#32: Post by jthor »

buy the max hybrid; much better grinder

Advertisement
hperry

#33: Post by hperry replying to jthor »

Based on first hand comparison??
Hal Perry

zin1953

#34: Post by zin1953 »

jthor wrote:buy the max hybrid; much better grinder
While I do not doubt the sincerity of your personal recommendation -- provided of course that it is indeed based upon your first-hand experience of working with both grinders -- having worked with both grinders myself, I have actually come to the opposite conclusion.

Indeed, I own both a CMH and a Baratza Vario. I use both grinders several times a week, and in most circumstances, for most home users, I can certainly see myself recommending the "B-Vario" over the CMH . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

jthor

#35: Post by jthor »

Jason,

I am disappointed in you analysis. For espresso, the CMH blows away the Vario; no comparison as I see it. Cheers. Merry Christmas to all.

Jim

da gino

#36: Post by da gino »

Jim, have you used them both? (As has been asked before). Most people don't seem to agree with you. The Super Jolly is a rival and peer of the CMH and my personal experience is (for me) that the Vario is the SJ's peer in the cup.

sweaner

#37: Post by sweaner »

Let's not forget the price differential here. I could also say "Buy a Robur. Much better grinder."
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
zin1953

#38: Post by zin1953 replying to sweaner »

Well, that I could agree with! :mrgreen:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

jthor

#39: Post by jthor »

da gino wrote:Jim, have you used them both? (As has been asked before). Most people don't seem to agree with you. The Super Jolly is a rival and peer of the CMH and my personal experience is (for me) that the Vario is the SJ's peer in the cup.

Dude, read the titan grinder thread; the SJ is not even in the CMH class; no comparison; end of story; the Vario is comparable to a lower end drip grinder like a Krups or Capresso conical. End of story my friends. The Vario should not be used at all for espresso grind; poor quality, consistency and cup experience.

JT

sweaner

#40: Post by sweaner »

So then all of the reviews of the Vario are wrong?
Scott
LMWDP #248