G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 72

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jacob_caller

#711: Post by jacob_caller »

I would choose DF64 as it has bigger burrs and you can upgrade it in future.

Jonk

#712: Post by Jonk »

More importantly, longevity is not known for the DF64 but in any case it doesn't have a plastic drivetrain like the Sette that is known for breaking down within a few years. Hopefully the majority of DF64s are like other, commercial class grinders, that can keep on grinding for decades.

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#713: Post by Jeff »

At least from what I've read, the DF64 and stock burrs should be no more difficult to dial in than a Sette 270. It is possible that its grind-adjustment mechanism would be easier to use. James Hoffmann's review seemed positive, though echoing some of the design's shortcomings in usability that have been discussed here. Most of those seem to have "easy" fixes if you're willing to do them.

SSP burrs, depending on cut, can be more demanding of prep and perhaps more sensitive to grind than a conical or more classic flat burrs.

It's an interesting enough grinder that, if I didn't already have two grinders and a third in the way, I'd consider ordering one for myself.

n3gkiwi

#714: Post by n3gkiwi »

I also saw Hoffman's review and agree it was generally positive. Seems the biggest issue is the retention/clogging but can be fixed with flap modifications...

I am curious why the SSP burrs would be more demanding in prep? I have a Bartza Encore for drip already so this would be strictly for espresso.

mtbizzle

#715: Post by mtbizzle replying to n3gkiwi »

Probably more convenient to have separate grinders for filter/espresso, but the giota with whatever burrs will likely taste noticeably better for filter :!:
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

mtbizzle

#716: Post by mtbizzle »

Tip for anybody trying to align the bottom burr with a dial indicator. Especially the SSP MPs (Unimodal multipurpose, which have small flat surfaces). Don't try to place the dial indicator on the outside edge of the burr. There are 4+ surfaces of different depths for each segment of the burr, I found it near impossible to place the indicator consistently on the right one. Instead, there is a notch with each blade of the burr, that you can lightly lock the indicator into, to ensure you are in the same spot each time. I got very very even numbers testing at this location, after 1x foil shim of about 1/4 of the burr.

Excuse the burr painting :lol:
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

naturalganja

#717: Post by naturalganja »

Awesome to hear more and more people getting the DF. And for people in Canada interested in Cafune, I'll reach out to Justin to see if he has any updates regarding Option-O shipment.
I am curious to hear from people who installed mods. Until now I didn't feel the need for it at all, but since yesterday, as I welcomed my new Flair 58 (58mm portafilter on a manual lever), the grind size required is much, much finer (a bit like people noticed with the DE1 or E.Forge). Not only this puts me below zero on my dial, so in unmarked territory (I'll finally have to print and install the dial I designed haha), but the grinder becomes more prone to choking and also more clumping. Therefore I now need to upgrade:

-clumping plates: to something offering less resistance but also something that will not increase static as I plan to put SSP sooner than later and winters here are very dry. It seems like people find the Mythos to work best, although it does increase static, so if that's the way I decide to go I'll start to RDT.
-anti-popcorning device. Here what I am primarily looking for is something that will slow the bean feeding rate. Ben V2 looks great and apparently Godspeeeeed improved it slightly, might give that a go
-intrigued by the 10 degrees tilted base from Godspeeeeed too, that could also help, so why not!

Advertisement
krakatau

#718: Post by krakatau »

I just got my grinder yesterday directly from alibaba to montreal in 6 days total. Somehow custom fees were negligable. I'm really looking forward to using the grinder. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread with valuable information!

Pierre

olutheros

#719: Post by olutheros »

Got mine today. Turns out the amazon listing that's $450 with free shipping to the US is actually real, despite looking amazingly sketchy.

Sib

#720: Post by Sib »

I received mine yesterday and.. it doesn't work :(

Like Rob_in_Tokyo, I ordered from Zhejiang on Alibaba and, like Rob_in_Tokyo, I've been asked to fix it myself.
Interestingly, they had a Word-file guide on how to replace the circuit board and switch!

The person I've been speaking to has been very pleasant, and also offered me a 20USD refund for my troubles. The spare parts should arrive in about a week so I'll see how things go. Fingers crossed..!!

Gonna have to hand-grind for my Robot just a little while longer :|