G-IOTA espresso grinder - Page 68

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
STG

#671: Post by STG »

If you installed SSP unimodal in DF64/G-iota, and did the same with the Ode and compared them, would there really be that much difference in the cup for filter brew like v60?

I'm trying to settle on a filter brew grinder in this price range. I'm also kind of curious about flat burr espresso but I really think I'm more of a medium dark espresso guy. So that's less of a factor for me vs the Niche.

mtbizzle

#672: Post by mtbizzle »

zellleonhart wrote: Does fast flow turbo shots work for 1:2 ratio?
Yes, some people I know of pull turbo shots with light roast (think Vibrant, Tim Wendelboe -- sometimes very light), fast preinfusion & very brief "bloom", ratio of 2-2.5.

This is 2.1 ratio. Don't let the short shot time worry you, this is the turbo style, StriveForTone explains it well in his blog IMO
STG wrote:If you installed SSP unimodal in DF64/G-iota, and did the same with the Ode and compared them, would there really be that much difference in the cup for manual brew like v60?

I'm trying to settle on a manual brew grinder.
[Edit: cleaning up messy post]

It has never been clear to my 'why,' but Hansung at SSP recommends Silver Knight coating (not red speed, more common these days) if you are filter only.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
jacob_caller

#673: Post by jacob_caller »

basiecally wrote:I'll try again.

I see some of the retailers selling SSP multi purpose burrs for this grinder as being FOR this grinder. But a previous poster informed me that there are no burrs made specifically for this grinder by SSP. And also that the SSP burrs for the Mazzer 64mm grinders do not fit the lower burr carrier, having a 1mm smaller ID than the DF64.

So which SSP burr set is right for this grinder and which other grinders on the market does it fit?

By the way, I just placed my order for a black DF64 from bohnendealer yesterday when I saw Hoffman had posted his video. I had almost made up my mind before but I felt I had to decide quick before the Hoffman effect took hold of the stock of this thing... :)
Hi. Not sure if it helps but on homebarista.be they offer 3 types of burrs for this grinder. All of them are directly from SSP

Multipurpose SSP https://homebarista.be/shop/products/ss ... -64mm-flat

Brew/Unimodal https://homebarista.be/shop/products/ss ... -64mm-flat

Espresso https://homebarista.be/shop/products/ss ... -64mm-flat
There is also this statement:
Designed for the G-IOTA Dose Grinder, Mazzer Super Jolly, Option-O Lagom P64, Fellow Ode and many other 64mm grinders.
So if you will be able to get parameters of those burrs, probably all burrs with same parameter will fit.

Giampiero

#674: Post by Giampiero »

basiecally wrote:I'll try again.

I see some of the retailers selling SSP multi purpose burrs for this grinder as being FOR this grinder. But a previous poster informed me that there are no burrs made specifically for this grinder by SSP. And also that the SSP burrs for the Mazzer 64mm grinders do not fit the lower burr carrier, having a 1mm smaller ID than the DF64.

So which SSP burr set is right for this grinder and which other grinders on the market does it fit?

By the way, I just placed my order for a black DF64 from bohnendealer yesterday when I saw Hoffman had posted his video. I had almost made up my mind before but I felt I had to decide quick before the Hoffman effect took hold of the stock of this thing... :)
Ok i try again as well.
First, i never said that "the SSP burr for the Mazzer 64mm grinder do not fit the lower burr carrier of the DF64", i said that the original Mazzer burr 33M does not fit the lower burr carrier of the DF64.
SSP does producing the burrs suitable for the DF64, well before the DF64 was on the market, so that burrs are not made by SSP "only" for the DF64.
For the compatibility of SSP burrs for the DF64, i think there are other members that can issue their own experience.

Jonk

#675: Post by Jonk »

mtbizzle wrote:There aren't all that many platforms for SSP fast flow burrs.
There's an absolute ton of 64mm grinders out there. Probably the most popular burr size ever. Usually you just have to pay more unless you find a used grinder and then stand whatever quirks the grinder has for single-dosing.
ethiopianbuffman wrote:Once you start throwing SSP in the mix, I bet they are all the same and just come down to alignment and workflow.
My bet as well. A few more factors could come into play, like burr orientation, likelyhood of popcorning, RPM and obstacles like anti-static screens.
In the case of vertical burrs like on the Ode, I have noticed that there is somewhat uneven wear on the fixed burr. That is on a shop grinder so not sure how fast this would be seen on a low volume grinder and in what way it'd impact the grind. The upside is that vertical burrs suffer almost no popcorning so if I wanted a grinder exclusively for filter I'd probably pick the Ode.
mdmitch2 wrote:Although the small adjustment range for espresso might be a problem for me since I like to switch coffees a lot.
I'm using the unimodal SSP burrs in a Mazzer Mini E. For a given dose the ristretto-allongé range is about ~20 repeatable settings (not numbers) even though it's also step-less and I wouldn't be surprised if this was similar with the DF64. I liked Hoffman's review but this seemed like an oversight on his part, has anyone here complained about small adjustment range? As long as you set it with care it should really be enough.
mtbizzle wrote:I'm not experienced with this, but I'm not confident that the Unimodal burrs would be best for filter coffee specifically. The 64mmHu (high uniformity) may(?) be better for filter coffee than Unimodal or Unimodal multipurpose. I could be very wrong, as the Unimodal was originally designed for filter, and then was adopted for light espresso. But I have heard some people having to grind quite fine for filter. I wouldn't be surprised if an aligned giota made quite good filter, but some burrs might not be ideal for that use. The original Unimodal (not Unimodal multipurpose) may be better than the multipurpose for filter, the MP burrs are like the original Unimodal but create more fines, to allow for easier espresso
I'd say with some confidence that the unimodal SSP burrs (and probably multi-purpose) are way better for filter. Based on numerous reports and my experience. It might not be for everyone though, like coffeemmichael who complained about the taste being too clean and I can understand what he means. But you can also get one or two flavor notes that really pops. A bit of that fancy fancy Hoffman mentioned 8)

FWIW when it comes to espresso I have mixed feelings about those burrs. With suitable beans I have been getting quite a bit better shots compared to the Niche, but if there's even a hint of roast defects I much prefer the shots using the Niche. In the end I'm happy to have both but I feel that the Niche is more flexible if you could only choose one. On both grinders I prefer a ratio of 1:2-3 and with the unimodal burrs I've had the best results with straightforward traditional shots (those turbo shots actually work better with the Niche for me)

Rob_in_Tokyo

#676: Post by Rob_in_Tokyo »

robeambro wrote:I mean, I don't mean to be rude, but 'in typical Chinese fashion' sounds rather offensive. Also, it's far more efficient - for everyone - to do things this way, rather than paying for two bulk oversea shippings when all is needed is a circuit board.. f you wanted better support you should have purchased from your local reseller and if you don't have one, well, then maybe you should have looked at another grinder. But I suspect then you would have had to pay for sending the grinder back. And you would have paid a higher price for the grinder in the first place.

That said - I appreciate this may feel frustrating, but probably any apprentice electrician (if you don't feel comfortable yourself) will be able to fix it and you should be able to grind shortly.
Sorry, what I meant was "in typical PRC fashion". :mrgreen:

While it might be efficient - it's certainly not what I'd expect as a service. Generally speaking PRC based sellers have a less than reputation. Something which has fixed itself more or less recently.

The other thing is - while it may be more cost efficient to send me a circuit board and have me, the customer replace it - it's certainly one way to turn off future customers. After all, the onus is on the vendor to deliver a working product and stand buy it - not offload the work to the customer. Alibaba offers a refund policy so if I'm unable to fix the grinder on my end, I couuuuld try this avenue (but frankly knowing PRC types, I'm not going to hold my breath on this either)

Anyone running a good business usually assumes this kind of thing will happen, and usually has a certain amount set aside for this kind of incident.

What troubles me more is that this incident indicates that they didn't do proper QA checking (very likely - since this grinder is built like a tank, so I don't buy their story that something happened to it during shipping).

Btw - I'm all for supporting up and coming small vendors like this - it's part of the reason why I purchased the grinder. It's also doubly disappointing they're being ... lazy, for lack of a better term.

Anyways just a word of warning to anyone considering to buy this grinder.

I'm located in Tokyo, so there's no local person to go through, plus the markups in Japan are nothing short of outrageous. (The Comandante handgrinder goes for upwards of 500 usd....)

Giampiero

#677: Post by Giampiero »

Hi Robert, but how do you know the problem is the board and not the switch or the motor?
Just my 2 cents thought.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
basiecally

#678: Post by basiecally »

Giampiero wrote:Ok i try again as well.
First, i never said that "the SSP burr for the Mazzer 64mm grinder do not fit the lower burr carrier of the DF64", i said that the original Mazzer burr 33M does not fit the lower burr carrier of the DF64.
SSP does producing the burrs suitable for the DF64, well before the DF64 was on the market, so that burrs are not made by SSP "only" for the DF64.
For the compatibility of SSP burrs for the DF64, i think there are other members that can issue their own experience.
I must have misunderstood you. I'm not familiar with the Mazzer grinders with any hands on experience to I assumed that the SSP burrs for those grinders would match the stock sizes of the burr carriers.

That was what I was suspecting, that the DF64 was made to suit a common burr size.

So SSP burrs marketed as fitting Mazzer 64mm grinders will also fit the DF64. Am I understanding this correctly?

Giampiero

#679: Post by Giampiero »

basiecally wrote:
So SSP burrs marketed as fitting Mazzer 64mm grinders will also fit the DF64. Am I understanding this correctly?
Correct, the SSP burrs that fit Mazzer grinder or other compatible grinder, has the inner diameter of 38mm which perfectly fit the lower burr of the DF64.
Don't get confused by the fact that original Mazzer burr has the inner diameter of 37mm so it only fit in Mazzer grinder or other compatible grinders..but not in the DF64. :)

mikelipino

#680: Post by mikelipino »

Sooster wrote:How have people's experiences using the Mythos clump crusher been? I've been trying some alternative 3DP patterns/shapes in place of the silicone flaps with some varying degrees in improvement. Kinda feels like there is a trade-off between static and clumping, but the toothed shapes that try to copy the Mythos seems to be giving me the best results so far (top left in the second picture). Very fluffy grinds, a little on the staticy side, but I always use RDT (I find squirting easier than sweeping). It also feels like there may be slightly less initial build-up around this area compared to the double flap, but I haven't weighed it to verify. From the Mythos video, looks like having a degree of flex in the teeth would be beneficial, but that's difficult to print at home. Link to the files if people are interested in trying them out. Open to feedback if anyone's got any!
Soorya, that's awesome. I didn't realize that the flapper as well as the housing was available to print. Once I get my grinder I'll definitely print these out. Question for you, what material did you print the flapper from? Based on the surface quality of the picture, it looks like PLA. Have you tried a flex filament like TPU? It might be better suited for flapper duty.

Edit: Rereading through your post, did you design the flappers? If so well done! This also opens up another possibility. We could use your design to cast the flapper in silicone. I've done it before for a Robot gasket that I was testing, and it's a fun design. Just take your part and use it as a tool to make negatives on a top and bottom surface of blocks (with a few holes to allow for spillage). Take the print, coat it in a mix of dish detergent and water (as a setting and release agent), fill with food grade silicone, squish and let it set for a few hours. It can be much easier than printing directly in very flexible materials, and it's more food-safe.