G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 7

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Giampiero

#61: Post by Giampiero »

Johnscorps wrote:Thanks Giampiero for the review.
In addition to that, it seems DaveC has been using it daily for months now, and the key points I've noted are these:
- He did some engineering review, and it's good,
- Very similar to the Niche in terms of retention, consistency, exchange,
- it's priced lower than he expected for this quality,
- He ENJOYS using it. Maybe the button placement is less bothering than expected. @Giampiero, what's your view on that button?

I honestly can't wait to receive mine! It should be here in about 2 weeks! :D

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/58285- ... ent=823533
The central position of the button has a " par condicio" logic and once the grinder is used with a proper dosing cup, does not bother at all, for some will be much better than a left or right side button.
In term of "engineering", i suggest to be careful in case of burrs replacement, due to the burr chamber wall is quite thin ( in the hole chute section) and the carrier central bolt it's a conventional thread ( in my DF64, loosen counterclockwise, tighten clockwise but the motor rotation is DX or clockwise) to lock the carrier must to use a non hard stick or the edge of the burr chamber wall could get a dent.
I had this experience due to i thought the bolt was getting loose clockwise, so i suspected the bolt was sealed with thread sealant..the rest is story. :lol:

enigman

#62: Post by enigman »

Hi, I'm a long time reader on this forum. I register just now.

Giampiero,which shop you get this DF64 in Bangkok?

This might fits my workflows where i brew both espresso (on my robot) and pourover daily.

I was thinking of getting Niche, but local availability is not good.

Giampiero

#63: Post by Giampiero replying to enigman »

Hi Pan, welcome to HB, i sent you a pm.

Giampiero

#64: Post by Giampiero »

Some asked me to make a video about the modification of the beans chute, i did it the same day i provide the modification, i'm not a filmmaker.
Anyway the result i got in the first and sole video i did, does not mean that this will work for everybody, i'm only sharing my own experience, btw it's a very cheap modification...the main problem is that i used a gum plastic small jar that maybe it's sold only in Thailand :lol:
The most common ground deposit/retention in my grinder, is a ring of finer ground just above the upper side of the lower burr carrier palettes.
I'm studying a further modification of the lower burr carrier to eliminate the "for me" annoying retention of rolling beans, this it happen quite often to me, but as i said before it's my only personal experience and probably with "bigger" beans will never occur.

ernvaz

#65: Post by ernvaz »

Anyone have experience ordering one to the US? And where or who did you go through?

LObin

#66: Post by LObin replying to ernvaz »

I've actually ordered straight from the manufacturer through Alibaba. Chatted with Amanda who was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

I was able to order 2 units (the 2nd one is for a friend of mine) titanium coated burrs, shipped to Canada by UPS. Ordering just one unit is possible even though the listing states a minimum of 2 per orders.

Placed the order on Saturday and they just shipped today. So far so good!

Taking a bit of a risk here but since BellaBarista is going to distribute the G-iota in EU, it felt like a good risk ;)
LMWDP #592

sweaner

#67: Post by sweaner »

LObin wrote:I've actually ordered straight from the manufacturer through Alibaba. Chatted with Amanda who was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.
Link?

EDIT: Found it!
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 2c87zPCNKi
Scott
LMWDP #248

ernvaz

#68: Post by ernvaz »

Sent a message to Amanda. Hoping to also buy two with titanium burrs shipped to the US for a friend and I.
Thanks!

LObin

#69: Post by LObin replying to ernvaz »

She was short in Ti burrs. Best of luck!
LMWDP #592

Giampiero

#70: Post by Giampiero »

They went in overloaded from all the distributors orders , then they had a delay for the Italmill burrs.
Here in Thailand we expect the first 300 unit within this month.