G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 57

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cskorton

#561: Post by cskorton »

Alright, so on to my Stowaway taste test between the Iota and Kinu m68. As a reminder:

1. I pull 2 shots from the Kinu, 1 from the Iota at 1:2 with same shot times. I'll shuffle the cups, have my wife shuffle the cups, then we blindly try to pick which cups are from which grinder, which cup we like best, and why. Then repeat the test for one more round.

2. I make sure temperature is the same by using a thermo-pen.

3. I thought Stowaway was more medium roast, but based on the picture above, it's more medium light. It's a very well balanced blend. It starts bright and floral with orchid, and finishes with cocoa. I never got the browning sugars middle note the bag says. It's absolutely fantastic in milk, particularly cortados and small cappuccini.

To summarize: the tastes were not significantly different, and we couldn't reliably pick out which shot came from which grinder. The first round, my wife picked the cups correctly, and liked the Iota shot better. The second round, she got the cups wrong and picked a shot from the Kinu.

For me, I couldn't pick out which cup was which on either round, and I liked shots from the conical in both rounds best (probably just a coincidence).

Overall taste observations: again, I couldn't pick these out blind and the perceived difference after the reveal in the cup is TINY. As in, almost nonexistent and not worth speculating.

I want to make this clear: one was not better than the other and I couldn't reliably pick the difference blinded. I think the difference between conicals and flats are overblown at this point in testing, using my stock burrs in the Iota. I have SSP High Uniformity burrs on order so that may change.

I don't want to go into, "I think that the flat was cleaner, and the conical had higher body and lower lows along with higher highs," because I couldn't pick them out blinded.

I truly believe it comes down to workflow, and the Iota has some things working against it:

1. Maybe I've been spoiled with the Kinu, but the adjustment ring is TOUCHY. A change in one notch drastically changes shot times. Puck prep is more touchy too.

2. I hate how you lose your grind settings (numbers) when you take the adjustment collar off.

3. Static is an issue as it is in my Kinu, but the Iota is way messier because of the chute design. The straight through design of the Kinu makes it way cleaner.

4. RDT is an issue. Too little water, and it's static central. Too much water, I'm grinding so fine, that the burrs get gummed up and no grinds can pass through. I have to be extra careful to use just the right amount of water. Ymmv tho.

Overall to this point, in the cup, it's keeping pace with my 68mm conical hand grinder, so take that for what is.

My light roast single origin comparison is coming soon.
★ Helpful

LObin

#562: Post by LObin replying to cskorton »

Great contribution Chris!
LMWDP #592

Ben-030

#563: Post by Ben-030 »

Kran wrote:I don't have one of these grinders but I do have the same/similar bellow for my Eureka and made an adapter that has eliminated popcorning, at least on my grinder.
Hi Kran, can you upload the stl file (or source file from your cad software) of the funnel? I would like to try and modify it for my g-iota. Thanks!
Ben

Kran

#564: Post by Kran »

I can do one better. Made a funnel to fit inside the bellow. You can modify the stl as needed, which can be found here: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/5WwsLmV3hUZ

Ben-030

#565: Post by Ben-030 »

Great, i am going to print it and do some testing :-)

Ben-030

#566: Post by Ben-030 »

Printing and testing is done. Works very well, nice job! I have done a modification to keep the funnel in place in a safer way (it tends to slip out of the bellow and is not perfectly aligned then), and I am just printing it to do further testing. Will post the outcome and updated STL here :-)

heytchap

#567: Post by heytchap replying to Ben-030 »

I would love to buy one if you wouldn't mind printing a few. The popcorning drives me nuts.

Ben-030

#568: Post by Ben-030 replying to heytchap »

Unfortunately, i live in Berlin, Germany. So shipping would be expensive and there could be problems with customs, i guess. But i will share the stl file here when i have finished testing. Maybe there is another friendly person in this forum who can print it for you. Or you use a 3D print service.

First shot this morning worked very well, the funnel stays in place and popcorning is reduced to a minimum. No more waiting for that last bean popping around to be ground.

Giampiero

#569: Post by Giampiero replying to Ben-030 »

Interesting, do you mind to post any videos?

Ben-030

#570: Post by Ben-030 »

Yep, but before that I am going to print another improved version tonight. For achieving the best results, I feel like i have to do some further testing and modifying. Nevertheless, here is the stl file of V2, which already improves popcorning quite well. The original file is from Kran, i just added a ring on the outside holding the Funnel in place.

The final version will need some more prototyping and testing. I will close the open space at the bottom of the funnel to prevent popcorning into this area. And I will also make the opening at the end of the funnel a little bit smaller and a little nearer to the grind chamber to slow down the bean feed rate. No supports will be needed when printing the new version. The version you will now find on thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4861909

...needs support to hold the outer ring in place while printing it.