G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 56

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
GregoryJ

#551: Post by GregoryJ »

No I didn't check that, but I think I'd rather leave it. I asked the seller on Alibaba and they said this is just a manufacturing artifact from italmill, nothing is wrong with it haha.

Jonk

#552: Post by Jonk »

I've even seen 98mm SSP burrs with defects along those lines, so from the manufacturer's point of view I think it's true.

heytchap

#553: Post by heytchap »

I'm at the point where I prefer this grinder to my specialita but I'm not sure if it's because the grinder is good or if it's the burrs. The SSP multis are seriously nice burrs.

cskorton

#554: Post by cskorton »

Anyone have an anti-popcorning device installed? I'd love to hear if it's making a difference or not. Popcorning is an issue for me, though I don't know if it makes a difference in the cup or not.

Another side tip - don't RDT with too much water, or else the stock burrs get gummed up and clog, so no grinds come out. A little water goes a long way.

darrenho
Supporter ♡

#555: Post by darrenho »

Did the burrs alignment check (using markers) on the upper burr of my DF64 last night.
The result was pretty good to me. I didn't bother adding any shims underneath, although to some it may be needed.

I've been comparing the tastes between my DF64 and NZ using the same beans since I got the DF64.
DF64: Getting a little more balanced than the first week. Body was more rounded.
NZ: Produced a little bitter, sour yet prominent mid-body.

darrenho wrote:Thank you, Jonathan, for sharing your experience on DF64 vs. NZ.
I guess "Taste impressions" are subjective, and the results may vary drastically depending on the beans. I was just trying to express how I felt in the cup from these two. I will give it more time to seasoning the burrs (TiN in my case) and compare the two down the road.

*I did check the burrs alignment (using markers) when I got the DF64, but only the bottom burr though. It was not too far off so I didn't bother making any adjustments. I will do another alignment check in a couple weeks.

heytchap

#556: Post by heytchap »

cskorton wrote:Anyone have an anti-popcorning device installed? I'd love to hear if it's making a difference or not. Popcorning is an issue for me, though I don't know if it makes a difference in the cup or not.

Another side tip - don't RDT with too much water, or else the stock burrs get gummed up and clog, so no grinds come out. A little water goes a long way.
I have it. It doesn't seem to make a difference. Amanda said they're working on a new version.

Kran

#557: Post by Kran »

I don't have one of these grinders but I do have the same/similar bellow for my Eureka and made an adapter that has eliminated popcorning, at least on my grinder.

The adapter is essentially a funnel that opens up into the larger diameter of the upper burr carrier. Beans that would usually popcorn out never make it back up and out the narrow bottom of the funnel. I would guess you could design something similar that would sit entirely inside the bottom portion of the bellow (non-accordion part) and have the bellow still work correctly on these grinders. Cross-section of the adapter part below, followed by images of my grinder setup.

Jonk

#558: Post by Jonk »

How about the Lagom solution? Should be virtually impossible for beans to popcorn out.

tesseraskye

#559: Post by tesseraskye »

I've got a df64 on order, but it won't be here for a sec. Figured I'd pop in and bother y'all about some questions.
1. Anyone have pics of the sidepannels and how they attach? I've been thinking of designing a custom exterior for it.
2. Re: static from removing the clump-crusher flaps, has anyone pared down the size of them, or..
2.b. has anyone tried lining the exit chute with an antistat spray or with antistat silicone while still having the flaps removed?
3. As far as retention is concerned, would it be viable to build a small beveled ring that fits around the upper burr without touching it, close enough that it reduces the retention there by a noticible amount? The idea that there might be grounds just vibing in the burr chamber getting nasty is kinda :fear:

cskorton

#560: Post by cskorton »

Hi All,

Before going into my second round of blind taste tests, I wanted to give a quick visual representation of the various roast levels I'm using in my very subjective, unscientific taste tests between the G-Iota and Kinu m68 conical.

From left to right (lightest to darkest): Passenger Montecarlos (brighter single origin), Passenger Stowaway (third wave blend), Caffe Moreno (Neapolitan Dark Roasted Robusta blend). Visually, it turns out the Stowaway and Montecarlos are similar:

I'll be giving my honest opinion on each pulling equivalent shots 1:2. I'll also try a 1:2.5 extraction comparison on the Montecarlos. I may be able to compare to an EK43 at a local cafe the weekend too.

I'll post results as they come (the dark roast review is already done), but at the finish of it all, I'll aggregate all my posts into one to make it easy to follow.