G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 54

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Giampiero

#531: Post by Giampiero »

Before or later, a deep cleaning will be necessary, so to avoid to dismantle the grinder to remove to the ground chute, i simply cut the front panel.
The lower section it's kept locked by the switch nut, the upper section by the standard 3 screws.
Of course.....don't do it, at least until your warranty is valid and overall is not really necessary...but i have some plan about the chute :mrgreen: ...so i need an easy accessibility.

cskorton

#532: Post by cskorton »

Mine arrived yesterday. I checked alignment and I thought both were good. The bottom was perfect. For the top I just rotated which "arm" that rests on the 3 springs and used the configuration that had the best marker test (the first picture below). I then marked the "arm" that rests on the top spring so I knew the correct configuration going forward. No shims necessary.

However, this is my first time aligning a flat burr grinder, so I could be mistaken:

cskorton

#533: Post by cskorton »

Has anyone figured out how many microns each little notch is on the collar/how each adjustment affects shot times? I'm having one heck of a time trying to dial in with this new grinder. Thanks!

Toxicswan

#534: Post by Toxicswan »

I could live with that alignment.

lessthanjoey

#535: Post by lessthanjoey »

cskorton wrote:Has anyone figured out how many microns each little notch is on the collar/how each adjustment affects shot times? I'm having one heck of a time trying to dial in with this new grinder. Thanks!
I think it's the same as a Super Jolly, 15um/notch, but perhaps it's 12.5 or 10? I'm pretty sure it's not more than 15um. Which burrs do you have? I've used both SSP sets ("espresso/HU" and "multipurpose/unimodal-espresso") in the SJ at 15um/notch and had no real issues dialing in, but the multipurpose/unimodal burrs like high flow rates and the puck falls apart quickly. I do move half notches on the SJ.

cskorton

#536: Post by cskorton replying to lessthanjoey »

I have the uncoated, stock italmill burrs (pictured above). I also put about 3 lbs of cheap coffee through it to "season" the burrs a little(if that's actually a thing).

I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can get more comfortable with it. On my Kinu m68 dialing in is a breeze since I know which numbers to start at depending on roast level. I believe each "click" or notch is a 10 micron adjustment, but I could be mistaken.

When dialing in, I typically adjust my Kinu by 2 clicks, so I will have to see if 2 clicks on the Kinu = about 1 notch on the Iota.

lessthanjoey

#537: Post by lessthanjoey replying to cskorton »

I think the stock burrs should be pretty easy once you get a sense for where different origins and roast levels sit. You shouldn't have anything crazy like half a notch leading to 15s shot time difference so if you do I'd check for repeatability in the puck prep.

Giampiero

#538: Post by Giampiero »

cskorton wrote:I have the uncoated, stock italmill burrs (pictured above). I also put about 3 lbs of cheap coffee through it to "season" the burrs a little(if that's actually a thing).

I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can get more comfortable with it. On my Kinu m68 dialing in is a breeze since I know which numbers to start at depending on roast level. I believe each "click" or notch is a 10 micron adjustment, but I could be mistaken.

When dialing in, I typically adjust my Kinu by 2 clicks, so I will have to see if 2 clicks on the Kinu = about 1 notch on the Iota.
From the burrs touching point ( same burrs as your) i go back coarser about 9/10 marks for dark roasted beans, other beans quality i did not tried yet.
Each mark should be around 12 microns, as mentioned before by another member.

naturalganja

#539: Post by naturalganja »

lessthanjoey wrote:I think it's the same as a Super Jolly, 15um/notch, but perhaps it's 12.5 or 10? I'm pretty sure it's not more than 15um. Which burrs do you have? I've used both SSP sets ("espresso/HU" and "multipurpose/unimodal-espresso") in the SJ at 15um/notch and had no real issues dialing in, but the multipurpose/unimodal burrs like high flow rates and the puck falls apart quickly. I do move half notches on the SJ.
What's your extraction like with the multipurpose? What are you using as machine?
Have you noticed any issues at all?

lessthanjoey

#540: Post by lessthanjoey replying to naturalganja »

Just to reiterate as a disclaimer I'm using these burrs in a single-dosing modified Super Jolly, not a DF64/G-Iota.

I typically extract in maybe 17-25s, 1:2 - 1:2.5 ratio, all light roast, and use a Decent DE1.

This shot is slower than normal (I'll adjust coarser after this): https://visualizer.coffee/shots/8f11ec0 ... 6c61a3c498
This is a little more typical at a lower ratio: https://visualizer.coffee/shots/eb76002 ... a1bcb3178b
Sometimes I also pull longer ratio (1:4 - 1:5) allongé shots like this: https://visualizer.coffee/shots/a378ab4 ... 0bd4b0458c

I far prefer these burrs to the "64mm HU" more traditional espresso focused SSP burrs, but I'm very focused on light roasts. It generally doesn't go well if you try to grind super fine to have like a 40s shot, these burrs prefer to run fast (again at least for light roasts). I suspect with darker roasts you'd want to lower ratios as they extract a lot of yield quickly (at low ratio) so it's easy to turn bitter if that's in the beans.