G-IOTA espresso grinder - Page 54

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#531: Post by LObin »

darrenho wrote:Thank you, Jonathan, for sharing your experience on DF64 vs. NZ.
I guess "Taste impressions" are subjective, and the results may vary drastically depending on the beans. I was just trying to express how I felt in the cup from these two. I will give it more time to seasoning the burrs (TiN in my case) and compare the two down the road.

*I did check the burrs alignment (using markers) when I got the DF64, but only the bottom burr though. It was not too far off so I didn't bother making any adjustments. I will do another alignment check in a couple weeks.
You're so right. Hard to imagine anything that's more subjective than taste!

I also have the TiN burrs in mine. I aligned 2 units so far and according to my own experience and other members who have aligned their G-iota's, the bottom burr is always right on or needs about 1 shim. The top burr is always more problematic. I had to use 3 shims on one unit and close to 10 on the other one.

Right now, your bottom burr is aligned with the highest point of your top burr. I don't how much effect on taste excellent alignement and full seasoning will do but it can't hurt.
LMWDP #592

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Giampiero

#532: Post by Giampiero »

Before or later, a deep cleaning will be necessary, so to avoid to dismantle the grinder to remove to the ground chute, i simply cut the front panel.
The lower section it's kept locked by the switch nut, the upper section by the standard 3 screws.
Of course.....don't do it, at least until your warranty is valid and overall is not really necessary...but i have some plan about the chute :mrgreen: ...so i need an easy accessibility.

cskorton

#533: Post by cskorton »

Mine arrived yesterday. I checked alignment and I thought both were good. The bottom was perfect. For the top I just rotated which "arm" that rests on the 3 springs and used the configuration that had the best marker test (the first picture below). I then marked the "arm" that rests on the top spring so I knew the correct configuration going forward. No shims necessary.

However, this is my first time aligning a flat burr grinder, so I could be mistaken:

cskorton

#534: Post by cskorton »

Has anyone figured out how many microns each little notch is on the collar/how each adjustment affects shot times? I'm having one heck of a time trying to dial in with this new grinder. Thanks!

Toxicswan

#535: Post by Toxicswan »

I could live with that alignment.

lessthanjoey
Supporter ♡

#536: Post by lessthanjoey »

cskorton wrote:Has anyone figured out how many microns each little notch is on the collar/how each adjustment affects shot times? I'm having one heck of a time trying to dial in with this new grinder. Thanks!
I think it's the same as a Super Jolly, 15um/notch, but perhaps it's 12.5 or 10? I'm pretty sure it's not more than 15um. Which burrs do you have? I've used both SSP sets ("espresso/HU" and "multipurpose/unimodal-espresso") in the SJ at 15um/notch and had no real issues dialing in, but the multipurpose/unimodal burrs like high flow rates and the puck falls apart quickly. I do move half notches on the SJ.

cskorton

#537: Post by cskorton » replying to lessthanjoey »

I have the uncoated, stock italmill burrs (pictured above). I also put about 3 lbs of cheap coffee through it to "season" the burrs a little(if that's actually a thing).

I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can get more comfortable with it. On my Kinu m68 dialing in is a breeze since I know which numbers to start at depending on roast level. I believe each "click" or notch is a 10 micron adjustment, but I could be mistaken.

When dialing in, I typically adjust my Kinu by 2 clicks, so I will have to see if 2 clicks on the Kinu = about 1 notch on the Iota.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
lessthanjoey
Supporter ♡

#538: Post by lessthanjoey » replying to cskorton »

I think the stock burrs should be pretty easy once you get a sense for where different origins and roast levels sit. You shouldn't have anything crazy like half a notch leading to 15s shot time difference so if you do I'd check for repeatability in the puck prep.

Giampiero

#539: Post by Giampiero »

cskorton wrote:I have the uncoated, stock italmill burrs (pictured above). I also put about 3 lbs of cheap coffee through it to "season" the burrs a little(if that's actually a thing).

I'll have to play with it some more to see if I can get more comfortable with it. On my Kinu m68 dialing in is a breeze since I know which numbers to start at depending on roast level. I believe each "click" or notch is a 10 micron adjustment, but I could be mistaken.

When dialing in, I typically adjust my Kinu by 2 clicks, so I will have to see if 2 clicks on the Kinu = about 1 notch on the Iota.
From the burrs touching point ( same burrs as your) i go back coarser about 9/10 marks for dark roasted beans, other beans quality i did not tried yet.
Each mark should be around 12 microns, as mentioned before by another member.

naturalganja

#540: Post by naturalganja »

lessthanjoey wrote:I think it's the same as a Super Jolly, 15um/notch, but perhaps it's 12.5 or 10? I'm pretty sure it's not more than 15um. Which burrs do you have? I've used both SSP sets ("espresso/HU" and "multipurpose/unimodal-espresso") in the SJ at 15um/notch and had no real issues dialing in, but the multipurpose/unimodal burrs like high flow rates and the puck falls apart quickly. I do move half notches on the SJ.
What's your extraction like with the multipurpose? What are you using as machine?
Have you noticed any issues at all?