G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 43

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Giampiero

#421: Post by Giampiero »

Sorry, i just remind that another member @AnthonyTD he did the ring reference mark long time ago :oops:

naturalganja

#422: Post by naturalganja »

Giampiero wrote:Nice.
considering the scarce visibility of the "bean" reference, why not create a reference mark on the beans funnel?image
This is exactly why I designed the dial with lines both at the bottom and on top, my idea was to make a line on the funnel for instant readings without needing anything else

Advertisement
malling

#423: Post by malling »

Looking forward to the next iteration of this grinder, seems it could use some minor modifications. The popcorning, lack of propper scale and marking and a exit chute that easily clog etc.

Hopefully they sort these details out from an otherwise promising product. Right now I'm not gonna jump on board, as I'm not huge fan of improving products.

heytchap

#424: Post by heytchap replying to malling »

You may well end up waiting a long time and paying significantly more for it.

Giampiero

#425: Post by Giampiero »

malling wrote:Looking forward to the next iteration of this grinder, seems it could use some minor modifications. The popcorning, lack of propper scale and marking and a exit chute that easily clog etc.

Hopefully they sort these details out from an otherwise promising product. Right now I'm not gonna jump on board, as I'm not huge fan of improving products.
I definitely understand your thought.
We ( the people that already owns and use such grinder) have different point of view, some are more focused/interested in the final result in term of grinds quality, some are more focused/interested in particulars for a "friendly use" of the grinder.
So at the end, a lot of things could be changed if we pretend to have a 100% average satisfaction for everybody, but to be honest, we are even speak about a SD grinder at a very good price ( of course a "good price" is a subjective fact), that seems to have just some "juvenile issue", but for the rest it can satisfy many.
Just an example, i saw users that can grinds directly in the portfilter without messy, i can't, but this is my personal situation, that depend by many different facts, so we should not to read " a non achieved result" as a definitive negative point.
I suggest to everybody interested, but with any sort of doubts, to find the way to test it, a local distributor, a friend or any other way to verify if could match with your expectation.
As i already wrote in this thread, i'm not an influencer, or a blogger or a vlogger at all, moreover i'm not promoting nothing on this forum, i only released my direct experience with this grinder, with sometimes, a too much critical point of view, but, again, this has been my own experience and my style.
At the moment i'm only curious to see what's going on with the so called "anti popcorning device", the rest does not really bother me. :wink:

strudlez

#426: Post by strudlez »

Hi all, I just got my g-iota and I designed a 3d printed grind adjustment indicator that sits on the chute.
I measured poorly so it doesn't 100% sit flush, but it stays on snugly.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4833793

heytchap

#427: Post by heytchap replying to strudlez »

Please sell me one of these. I will PM you.

Advertisement
malling

#428: Post by malling »

Giampiero wrote:I definitely understand your thought.
We ( the people that already owns and use such grinder) have different point of view, some are more focused/interested in the final result in term of grinds quality, some are more focused/interested in particulars for a "friendly use" of the grinder.
So at the end, a lot of things could be changed if we pretend to have a 100% average satisfaction for everybody, but to be honest, we are even speak about a SD grinder at a very good price ( of course a "good price" is a subjective fact), that seems to have just some "juvenile issue", but for the rest it can satisfy many.
Just an example, i saw users that can grinds directly in the portfilter without messy, i can't, but this is my personal situation, that depend by many different facts, so we should not to read " a non achieved result" as a definitive negative point.
I suggest to everybody interested, but with any sort of doubts, to find the way to test it, a local distributor, a friend or any other way to verify if could match with your expectation.
As i already wrote in this thread, i'm not an influencer, or a blogger or a vlogger at all, moreover i'm not promoting nothing on this forum, i only released my direct experience with this grinder, with sometimes, a too much critical point of view, but, again, this has been my own experience and my style.
At the moment i'm only curious to see what's going on with the so called "anti popcorning device", the rest does not really bother me. :wink:
I'm not going to argue against the price point, but ease of use is a quite important aspect, as that in combination with price is basically what is separation this grinders from the rest. Allot of grinders can take 64mm ssp burrs and with some alignment you'll get similar results, that leaves only ease of use, value and build left as deciding factors. There will undoubtedly be even more competitions down the road.

It would be pretty damn difficult to test it, not many has it in mainland Europe, as the sole distributor is first gonna ship these next month.

I owned to many grinders to know what's going to annoy me, having previously owned dosered grinder that neaded some serious modding to work as SD devices (before there where even such a thing like a SD grinder) and a slightly improved and modified bulk (EK43) I have little desire to go down that route again. I can live with very minor things as no product is perfect.

tglodjo

#429: Post by tglodjo »

I pre-ordered my DF64 through Espresso Outlet but am currently struggling to choose whether or not to keep it. I received my Mignon XL this month and have been very happy with it--both for grind-on-demand and single-dosing. My grinder plan has been to use Mignon XL for hopper-based espresso, DF64 for single-dosing and trying different beens, and my Bunnzilla for manual brew. But do I really need three grinders on my counter? One of my biggest questions is whether or not the SSP burrs will add much over my Mignon XL. I have the HU burrs on order with the DF64 because my Bunnzilla is closer to unimodal (though I still haven't tried to dial in espresso with it). Seriously did not expect the XL ot be great for SD'ing out of the box and that has thrown a wrench in my 3-grinder plan. So since I'm happy with SD'ing my XL, would it still be worth getting the DF64 with SSP HUs? What would the benefits be of using the SSP burrs over my 65mm "diamond infused" Eureka burrs?

cskorton

#430: Post by cskorton replying to tglodjo »

Would you be able to compare and contrast the taste in the cup between the XL and DF64? I think a lot of people are considering the two grinders.

When I think about it, so many issues with single dosing disappears if we just do away with it and use a hopper.

What kind of roast and dose do you use for espresso?