G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 41

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jonk

#401: Post by Jonk »

Giampiero wrote:It does this have a sense?
Ok, i did remove any shims from the burrs carrier but ...I shimmed the springs of the upper burr carrier, i used a bolt each spring
It's almost how the Ultra is aligned:
But it works because the collar shifts position. On the DF64 the adjustment threads are fixed to the side of the grinder so I think shimming the springs should only provide some extra tension.

LObin

#402: Post by LObin »

Anyone's heard about Alternative Brewing in Australia?

They have a set of 64mm Red Speed burrs that works with the Mazzer Super Jolly and Fiorenzato F64. Don't know how well it would fit the G-iota though.
Edit: It seems it won't fit since the stock burrs and SSP burrs inside diameter are 38mm while these K110 are 37mm.

Here:

https://rhinocoffeegear.com/categories/ ... nzato.html

Interesting geometry...

I don't know if they'd fit and I don't know what kind of grind distribution they produce. Different burr geometry. Unless that picture is from a 80mm or bigger burr, I'm counting something like 72 teeth.
Somewhat of blend between a standard mazzer and a brew burr... intrigued.
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
Jonk

#403: Post by Jonk »

LObin wrote:Unless that picture is from a 80mm or bigger burr, I'm counting something like 72 teeth.
Sure looks like it's a picture of a bigger burr.

Giampiero

#404: Post by Giampiero »

LObin wrote:Anyone's heard about Alternative Brewing in Australia?

They have a set of 64mm Red Speed burrs that works with the Mazzer Super Jolly and Fiorenzato F64. Don't know how well it would fit the G-iota though.

Here: image

https://rhinocoffeegear.com/categories/ ... nzato.html

Interesting geometry...

I don't know if they'd fit and I don't know what kind of grind distribution they produce. Different burr geometry. Unless that picture is from a 80mm or bigger burr, I'm counting something like 72 teeth.
Somewhat of blend between a standard mazzer and a brew burr... intrigued.
In the specs the inner diameter is 37mm, the DF64 it require 38mm inner diameter burr.

Giampiero

#405: Post by Giampiero »

Jonk wrote:It's almost how the Ultra is aligned:
But it works because the collar shifts position. On the DF64 the adjustment threads are fixed to the side of the grinder so I think shimming the springs should only provide some extra tension.
The Ultra, as you said, is a different story.
The main reason i decide to "try" this modification is that i suspect my own personal unit DF64, it has various very small misalignments in some of the threads, or in the flat side of the collar or in the contact side of the upper burr carrier, but this is a problem if i want to provide to a burrs alignment, due to the touching position of the burrs will never be the grinds position so the movement of the collar could face difference misalignment by it's position.
Stiffer springs, in my idea, could maybe reduce some small "imperfections" during the collar rotation, for sure i will apply more tension to the whole collar assembly but maybe...and i repeat maybe, could give me a tangible result in cup, i have the tendency to not discard any ideas unless i can prove it's useless, so i did many test and i often "propose" weird solutions.
I will see.

LObin

#406: Post by LObin »

Giampiero wrote:In the specs the inner diameter is 37mm, the DF64 it require 38mm inner diameter burr.
Thanks Giampiero!

I just read the few posts on coffeeforums about the compatibility of the 37mm vs 38mm ID mazzer SJ burrs.

Mazzer can be quite confusing sometimes.
There are single phase 33M burrs and 3 phase 33T burrs. Specs and rotation are the same...

But there are also left hand SJ burrs... :?

Anyways... that's too bad though cause the burr geometry on those K110 was quite intriguing (giving the picture was correct).
LMWDP #592

Giampiero

#407: Post by Giampiero replying to LObin »

A brief search showed that there could be compatibility ( in term of measures and rotation ...not sure about the holes positions) between 2 different burr design and the DF64: The Ceado E7/E7A or the Nuova Simonelli MDX. i will probably try to find a local supplier to verify the real possibility to install it.
By the way, for my use, the stock burr Italmill are definitely enough, but i'm a very curious person :)

Advertisement
Giampiero

#408: Post by Giampiero »

LObin wrote:Thanks Giampiero!

I just read the few posts on coffeeforums about the compatibility of the 37mm vs 38mm ID mazzer SJ burrs.

Mazzer can be quite confusing sometimes.
There are single phase 33M burrs and 3 phase 33T burrs. Specs and rotation are the same...

But there are also left hand SJ burrs... :?

Anyways... that's too bad though cause the burr geometry on those K110 was quite intriguing (giving the picture was correct).
Maybe you have hope, i just read a post on a FB group, where a guy installed successfully the Fiorenzato F64 red speed burrs into the DF64, i just wrote a msg to him for confirmation. :wink:

LObin

#409: Post by LObin replying to Giampiero »

That's very nice of you!

Since the K110 burrs apparently fit Mazzer SJ as well, the holes should be in the same position as the Mazzer ones you've installed or even the SSP since they fit the Mazzer SJ.

I'm wondering if a 37mm ID burr would bring more issues than an extra 1mm gap around the lower burr for coffee grinds to gather...

In your searches, have you found actual pictures of that K110 64mm burr? I'm curious to know if it really has 72 teeth or if the stock picture was taken from a larger burr.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Giampiero

#410: Post by Giampiero »

About the inner diameter, i can only says that in my DF64, a burr with 37mm inner diameter, can't fit in the lower burr carrier, so definitely will not bring any extra issue.
When i say "can't fit" i mean that the burr it wobbling on the carrier, and only a lucky coincidence will allow a user to fix it aligned...but as it happen to me with the Mazzer 33M, the "impossible" alignment has last 1 grind session.
About the teeth i can only tell you that the stock Italmill has 56 teeth so maybe 72 teeth are for a bigger diameter burr?