G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 34

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Giampiero

#331: Post by Giampiero »

Johnscorps wrote:Hey all,

I'm glad to see that there's some discussion ongoing about a flow control/anti-popcorning disk.
I've been testing the grinder for V60 drinks and found that the setting was at about 90 marker. Unfortunately, it seems that I frequently end up with quite a lot of fines at the top of the coffee bed at the end of the extraction.
After a bit more testing, I noticed that feeding the beans slowly into the grinder helps with reducing fines and boulders, making a more uniform grinding. So I do think that a flow control disk would be very helpful, if the 1400 rpm isn't causing issues...
What alternative would there be if the disk doesn't work? Maybe some kind of descending spiral with a wider opening on top that would guide the beans down slowly, difficult to explain what I'm thinking with words...

I've also mentioned my findings with Homebarista's team in Belgium and asked them if they would be able to design some improvements for flow control. I don't necessarily expect them to find a fix, but I certainly hope so :D

Is anyone having similar findings with grind consistency when doing pour-overs? or even with espresso grounds?
I often had just 1 bean, getting stuck between the burr carrier shaft and the inner burr edge, or even a single bean rolling on the burr carrier base without get crushed, it's probably a matter of bean size, so i did my own modifications ( as always :D ), and i'm actually using a simple one.
Since then, no more bean stuck or keep rolling, moreover the first grinding phase, with full/half full beans funnel, seems producing less messy inside the beans funnel, but in term of ground quality i did not yet provide a complete test, aka brewing lot of espressos, to eventually issue my own opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YletecTvcc8

LObin

#332: Post by LObin »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:Anyone with the grinder, can you put a Niche dosing cup in the portafilter forks? The plastic cup is nice but it seems like a static magnet.

Also anyone dosing into a portafilter with a tall funnel. It seems that the chute is quite far away right now and so trying to close that gap would be good so that chafe doesn't fly everywhere.
The Niche cup wouldn't work since it doesn't have ears like a portafilter and the stock dosing cup do.

Two other stainless dosing cups that could potentially work with the G-iota fork are the Acaia and the Rhino.

I don't find the plastic cup to have more static than the Niche's stainless cup. I think it's more noticeable since it's clear and also as you pointed out, the blower makes it a bit messy.

I've been trying a few portafilter funnels that would fit on the dosing cup and catch all of those grinds that go flying when using the blower.

The ID of the cup is a tad over 53mm while the OD is 57.6mm. I've already tried one that was too high and another one that had the proper height but didn't fit the cup properly.

I just order this yesterday. I believe it'll fit perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5B9BV2/re ... CPMR57W59R

I'll report back.
LMWDP #592

LObin

#333: Post by LObin »

itamar123 wrote:Is the DF64 can be used with funnel on the pf when grinding? (and the pf and its place)
Thanks

I don't know how stable it is when grinding since I prefer using the cup anyways. That's the portafilter for my Londinium. It's a spare one I had laying around.

I got that funnel on Amazon hoping it would fit over the dosing cup to keep my working area cleaner. It's not a match so I've ordered the 53mm version of it.
LMWDP #592

JohnLenin

#334: Post by JohnLenin »

Hello everyone. Long time lurker first time poster here. Tried for the niche a few times and couldn't get it so I pre ordered a df64 from espressooutlet in the US. They're bringing it into the US as the Turin Sd64. They are also offering the ssp HU espresso burrs as an upgradable option. I got in on an early bird special so I paid 350 for the grinder and opted to pay an additional 180 or so for the ssp HU burrs. They say it should ship by the end of May so hoping to have it in hand by the beginning of June. If anyone else in the US is looking to buy one I feel like espresso outlet is a good way to go since they'll be a more local resource for any warranty issues should they arise rather than dealing with the manufacturer half a world away. Anyway, thanks all for the informative posts that has helped in my decision to purchase this grinder. Looking forward to continieing to read all your posts and rarely if ever replying again. Cheers all!

LObin

#335: Post by LObin »

Homebarista Belgium is taking it up a notch...

There now offering both the SSP High Uniformity (red speed) and the SSP multipurpose (red speed).

They must be following this topic cause they're now aligning (marker method) each G-iota custom fitted with SSP burrs. 8)

https://homebarista.be/en/shop/products ... -red-speed

Probably decided to do so after seeing Zellleonhart's multipurpose alignment results! :wink:
LMWDP #592

ben446

#336: Post by ben446 »

Wow - you got a great deal. Looks like they are now $599 @ espressooutlet on pre-order with standard burrs.

zellleonhart

#337: Post by zellleonhart »

Sharing some pics of funnel and a video of grinding into portafilter with a funnel. Note that the burr set used is SSP multipurpose, so the grinding speed and static etc might not be the same with stock burrs.

https://streamable.com/dealxl

LObin

#338: Post by LObin »

JohnLenin wrote:Hello everyone. Long time lurker first time poster here. Tried for the niche a few times and couldn't get it so I pre ordered a df64 from espressooutlet in the US. They're bringing it into the US as the Turin Sd64. They are also offering the ssp HU espresso burrs as an upgradable option. I got in on an early bird special so I paid 350 for the grinder and opted to pay an additional 180 or so for the ssp HU burrs. They say it should ship by the end of May so hoping to have it in hand by the beginning of June. If anyone else in the US is looking to buy one I feel like espresso outlet is a good way to go since they'll be a more local resource for any warranty issues should they arise rather than dealing with the manufacturer half a world away. Anyway, thanks all for the informative posts that has helped in my decision to purchase this grinder. Looking forward to continieing to read all your posts and rarely if ever replying again. Cheers all!
It's a bit of a wait but that's quite a deal! $530 usd for the G-iota (Turin, Solo, DF or SD... :? ) with SSP HU is by far the price I've seen so far. Shipping included?

Congratulations on your purchase!
LMWDP #592

Zuroy

#339: Post by Zuroy »

I received this today and I'm really satisfied with it (esp the cost).

I've got the stock burrs and was wondering if these are safe to do RDT on every day? I usually make two a day
Conscious they are steel...

Jonk

#340: Post by Jonk »

LObin wrote:Homebarista Belgium is taking it up a notch...

There now offering both the SSP High Uniformity (red speed) and the SSP multipurpose (red speed).

They must be following this topic cause they're now aligning (marker method) each G-iota custom fitted with SSP burrs. 8)

https://homebarista.be/en/shop/products ... -red-speed
I think this is the real steal. At least for those over in EU, it's actually cheaper than ordering directly from China and SSP - and they do the alignment for you!

Zuroy: yes, it's safe. People have been doing it for years without any issues.

What I'm a bit curious about is the bellows. Apparently blowing air through the chamber is discouraged on the Lagom P64 since fines end up in the bearings. Is there anything different about DF64 (and all the other grinders with factory designed bellows like Ceado Hero and Eureka Atom) to prevent this?