G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 32

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
robeambro

#311: Post by robeambro »

Giampiero wrote:I had a lot of statics and fines, with the new stock burrs ( Italmill) but once it get seasoned, was ok, it even depend by what coffee beans are you grinding, at least in my case, a dark roasted bean, quite brittle, create more statics and fines, give time to the SSP to get seasoned.
About the popcorning effect how did you verified that was less than with the stock burrs?
Per lo piu' tostatura chiara/media per ora :D

About the popcorning, I used the stock Italmill burrs for a few weeks and I would have one or two beans jumping for hours on maybe 30-50% of my shots, across several different bean bags, none of them was exempt (although some popcorned more than others).

With the SSP burrs it has not happened even once (zero, nada, nisba) in approximately twenty to thirty shots with 4 different bags.

Sure it's not statistical analysis, but evidence seems pretty clear for now.

Giampiero

#312: Post by Giampiero »

LObin wrote:I would ask the folks at Eureka since they designed this NFC disc for their 1350rpm Atom (Speciality 75 is 1400 rpm).

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/eureka-ato ... yor-screw/

*Although I doubt anything would help if the G-iota was spinning at 14000 rpm! :lol: (Great usage of the typo there Giampiero :wink: )

Cheers!
I don't speak about a disc, i even already wrote in this thread that maybe with a proper design a disc it could work but the photo you posted is a palette, not a disc at all, unless you can photoshop for your purpose :lol:
Moreover, i think that Eureka they intend to use their disk with a filled bean hopper not as single dose...maybe i'm wrong again.

Jonk

#313: Post by Jonk »

Something's lost in translation here :wink:
To me, Eureka's design looks exactly like a palette. Quite similar to Niche's flow control disc that works fine for single dosing (although with a lower rpm).

I guess DF64's prototype looks a bit like a palette knife? Perhaps not really intended to stop popcorning as much as pushing those last pesky beans into the burrs.

nrcoffee

#314: Post by nrcoffee »

I've had the eureka one on my niche since I got it. Niche hadn't released their version yet. It's worked perfectly for single dosing and I've never bothered to change to the Niche version. I have a DF64 on order and it seems like it would benefit from one.

LObin

#315: Post by LObin »

Giampiero wrote:I don't speak about a disc, i even already wrote in this thread that maybe with a proper design a disc it could work but the photo you posted is a palette, not a disc at all, unless you can photoshop for your purpose :lol:
Moreover, i think that Eureka they intend to use their disk with a filled bean hopper not as single dose...maybe i'm wrong again.
I'm not sure I understand the definition of the word palette in this context. English is not my first language.

To me, the device in the picture I posted looks like a disc with a small auger integrated. I can't tell if it works or not since all Amanda shared with me was a short video, from which I took a print screen.

Pretty sure the Eureka disc can be used with a full hopper or with the blow-up hopper which is intended to be used when single dosing.

I will likely modify my 2nd NFC disc that I got for my Niche and try it on the G-iota. Maybe the higher RPM compared to the Niche Zero will be an issue. Maybe not. We'll see.
LMWDP #592

Giampiero

#316: Post by Giampiero »

LObin

#317: Post by LObin »

Edit: I looked closer and it seems to be the same device from that print screen I took after all. Somehow I thought the bottom part was a disc and the top had an auger.

Not sure what this does to prevent popcorning, indeed. I've seen better designs indeed.
LMWDP #592

Giampiero

#318: Post by Giampiero »

robeambro wrote:Per lo piu' tostatura chiara/media per ora :D

About the popcorning, I used the stock Italmill burrs for a few weeks and I would have one or two beans jumping for hours on maybe 30-50% of my shots, across several different bean bags, none of them was exempt (although some popcorned more than others).

With the SSP burrs it has not happened even once (zero, nada, nisba) in approximately twenty to thirty shots with 4 different bags.

Sure it's not statistical analysis, but evidence seems pretty clear for now.
The SSP HU has more distance between the "big teeth" so will probably catch and breaks the beans easier and faster than the Italmill or maybe even other similar burrs design, so what you experiencing seems a quite clear evidence.
Ciao

Giampiero

#319: Post by Giampiero »

LObin wrote:That's a different design. Yours or from the manufacturer?
This is exactly what was installed in the photo you posted before, believe it or not this is from the manufacturer, and it's a photo that has been took exactly the same time of the photo you posted.
I agree with Jonk, that this device has been probably thought only to avoid the "rolling bean" on the burr carrier base, i have no clue if will be installed or not in the future production.

LObin

#320: Post by LObin replying to Giampiero »

Thanks Giampiero. I had just edited my post since I was looking at it wrong. Definitely not the flow control / anti-popcorning device I had in mind...

A NFC disc with a small auger on top was a neat idea, no? ;)

Cheers!
LMWDP #592