G-IOTA / DF64 espresso grinder - Page 20

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
LObin

#191: Post by LObin »

lpecan wrote:Took a total flier and ordered one off bplus (I think). Honestly not even sure it's real.
Yes it's legit. Never ordered anything from them but I've read about other member's that have. They also sell the Apollo grinder as well as the ZF64W, the other grinder from the G-iota manufacturer.

Do you know if it's going to be shipped straight from the manufacturer or from Bplus? Tin coated burrs it seems... :)
LMWDP #592

lpecan

#192: Post by lpecan »

TiN I assume but honestly no idea. It was the only place I was even moderately familiar with (I've heard of people ordering their grinder and wdt tool). It just said 64mm titanium burr. So I guess not the ItalMill burrs you see on other models, but no idea what brand. I'm old school and lean toward medium roasts so I haven't been keeping up with flat burrs for my prep style. But we have a weekend condo where I have been hand grinding and this price was too good to pass up, especially for the possibility of getting to do 64mm vs NZ comparisons.

Says 4/6 shipment but who knows, really.

Advertisement
silkypull

#193: Post by silkypull »

saw a post on FB from Joe. seems you can order directly from his website.
how does this stack up to NZ? anyone tried?
i've read in the past that flat burr yields a sweeter and/or better tasting espresso vs. conical ones.. so i'm tempted..

LMWDP #663

LObin

#194: Post by LObin replying to silkypull »

Posted a quick comparaison earlier today in a different topic. Keep in mind my G-iota is aligned to the best of my abilities (check the result pictures I posted in this thread before).

Single dose grinder options
LMWDP #592

LObin

#195: Post by LObin »

lpecan wrote:TiN I assume but honestly no idea. It was the only place I was even moderately familiar with (I've heard of people ordering their grinder and wdt tool). It just said 64mm titanium burr. So I guess not the ItalMill burrs you see on other models, but no idea what brand. I'm old school and lean toward medium roasts so I haven't been keeping up with flat burrs for my prep style. But we have a weekend condo where I have been hand grinding and this price was too good to pass up, especially for the possibility of getting to do 64mm vs NZ comparisons.

Says 4/6 shipment but who knows, really.
Tin coated burrs are also Italmill. Same burr geometry but longer life.

My G-iota is currently my daily driver. Niche Zero was moved to the cottage where it has been getting along quite well with my 78 Europiccola ;)
LMWDP #592

do.u.even.bripe.bro

#196: Post by do.u.even.bripe.bro »

I'm really curious to know how this grinder performs at the pour over/chemex spectrum. Has anyone tried pour over with this yet? If so, what range were you in 50?, how consistent were the grinds, and how was the cup?

LObin

#197: Post by LObin replying to do.u.even.bripe.bro »

I made 4 or 5 pour overs so far with the G-iota.
Just like for espresso, I find the brews to be a touch sweater and less muddy/muted vs the Niche Zero.
I do enjoy the pour overs I get from the Niche Zero though. I just know what I'm giving up by using an all-purpose grinder that has an espresso oriented burr set. I don't drink enough pour-overs to justify a brew focused grinder. If I was to start doing more brews, I'd probably try the SSP multipurpose.

What applies to the Niche Zero also applies to the G-iota. The stock Italmill burrs are espresso oriented just like the stock Mazzer 63mm conicals. SSP multipurpose would add clarity and sweetness to the cup, no doubt.

I've tried different recipes with my Hario Woodneck and so far 40-55 seems to be a good pour-over range for these. I do need some more experimentation but thus far, it's comparable to the results I'm getting with my Niche Zero.

G-iota

Niche Zero (never mind the brew time. I probably simply forgot to stop the timer...)
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
silkypull

#198: Post by silkypull »

thank you! i will check that out.
LMWDP #663

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#199: Post by walr00s »

LObin wrote:
G-iota

Niche Zero (never mind the brew time. I probably simply forgot to stop the timer...)
Those look like massively different grind settings to me?

LObin

#200: Post by LObin replying to walr00s »

Well I didn't dial-in a coffee and do a side by side comparison.

However, I do find my coffee beds to be slightly muddy with the Niche Zero. Not every time but it's definitely a tendency. Probably the amount of fines produced by the conical burrs.

It seems a bit easier to get a drier bed with the G-iota. If I recall, that picture was 20g at 50 on the G-iota. I did scoop the sides with a spoon at the end of the pour so the coarser grounds were dislodged.
LMWDP #592